1960 B73 With Timken Worm Drive?

b61fred

Hi,

I have got my new prize home and started scrapeing off the greese and crud and finding numbers on the engine, trans, and axles. The engine is a NH220L cummins, the trans is a 15 speed triplex, the front axle is a 9500# with no brakes, any ways the rear tandem is not Mack it is a timken worm drive with power divider, 7.45 : 1 ratio, Is this factory?? it looks like it belongs there and also it needs some work on the bushings and rods that center it in the truck, where do you get such parts?? I never seen a old mack with anyting other than a mack rear. I have sent in to the museum for the info but that will take some time to here back from them. the truck was from montana, It has a jake brake and a exhaust brake, Let me know what you think

Fred

15 gears...no waiting!

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I have got my new prize home and started scrapeing off the greese and crud and finding numbers on the engine, trans, and axles. The engine is a NH220L cummins, the trans is a 15 speed triplex, the front axle is a 9500# with no brakes, any ways the rear tandem is not Mack it is a timken worm drive with power divider, 7.45 : 1 ratio, Is this factory?? it looks like it belongs there and also it needs some work on the bushings and rods that center it in the truck, where do you get such parts?? I never seen a old mack with anyting other than a mack rear. I have sent in to the museum for the info but that will take some time to here back from them. the truck was from montana, It has a jake brake and a exhaust brake, Let me know what you think

Fred

Hi Fred, This is an old post so you've probably gotten the info from the archive folks by now. It's quite possible that Timken worm drive is original especially with a Cummins. My B61T has an Eaton 40,000# split rear, the only one like it according to the archive folks so it seems that back then whatever the customer wanted, he got no matter how weird it was. And some pictures would be nice. Bob

Ain't a Mack? Take it back!

Hi,

Here is the rest of the story.... My truck has been cut in two and another truck welded onto it, It originaly had a page and page suspension with mack rears 5.03 ratio. Here are some pictures of whats in it now, I have recently figured out how to shrink pictures to put them into posts.

Fred

more axle pictures

more axle pictures

15 gears...no waiting!

Well first those are NOT worms [sQW] rather SQDD double reduction. SQW's never had a power divider which is why with those it was very inportant that all 8 tires were closely matched as to highth. Mack used a Timken double reduction tandem set that said Mack on them, think they were SLDDs 34,000 lb ers.

John Evans,

Trucks & Dogs are expensive!!