1961 Mack N68P Tidewater Mack

Sure wish I knew were it went. If I remember right, didn't they also have a B68 with a van body? Bob also had some NOS non-sleeper G cabs and some other G model stuff for sale after he left Tidewater.

Yes, the B was listed for sale in the same ad but had a SOLD banner through it. No idea where either of them went.

A 1960 stake body for sale in 2003 in NJ. Might be in CA now.

post-7036-0-12226900-1391310022_thumb.jp

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

As I was told, the Tidewater N indeed was an ex-N68F fire chassis (purchased because of its better-than-average condition), and Matt Pfahl did one of his superb ground-up restorations.

I met the current owner at Hershey. He also owns a superbly restored 1940 Mack ED pickup.

The black & red one belonged to the late Bob Thiemer,I believe. I think he was the one who restored it. :idunno:

You are on to something. Bob Thiemer did have one. Any ideas what happened to Bob's single axle Superliner that pulled his RV trailer? It was put up for sale after the auction at the time of Bob's passing.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

have not seen Bobs single axle superdog either. it wasn't original tho, I remember him making it. I was at the auction and there were a lot of big names there. Gary Mahan flew up I think in his helicopter and bought 3-4 trucks. Bob also has a fairly nice restored H model to that I think went to someone in New Hampshire.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

The Tidewater N is one of those sad stories in fire truck collector circles. One of five N model fire trucks built by Mack it was cut up to make the pictured box truck.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

A friend had a 4x4 park in Hazelton PA about 12 years ago. They had an orange and black N model water truck for keeping the dust down on the coal roads like the one pictured. I never took a picture of it. I assume it was an ex Barletta truck since they were near by and had a bunch or DM's and a B in the same livery. Mike

I don't remember seeing a N model in real life. For the uneducated....

How was the N different from the Ford? What engine was in the N? Could a Ford be made look like a N?

The N model Mack and C model Ford used the same cab made by the Budd company. The C model Ford was probably the most popular commercila chassis every used in the fire industry. Almost every manufacturer of fire equipment built a body on a Ford chassis with a Budd cab. There are a lot still in service. Ford used that cab almost unchnged from the late fifties or early sixties into the early nineties. Roadway had a large fleet of C model Ford tractors. N model Macks are very rare. I assume it was replaced by the MB, but am not certain. Someone else can fill in the holes. Attached is a C model Ford that was used as a race car hauler. Mike

post-7810-0-90761200-1391367510_thumb.jp

• Like 1

The fire co I belonged to years ago had a c model ford for their boro truck. Had a bean body and a 390 gas job that ran so rich they were changing plugs in it every couple if months. They never could get the carb adjusted right. They sold it sometime after I dropped my membership and bought their first enclosed cab truck. A pirsch I believe.

The only thing that the Mack N and the Ford C shared was the cab shell. The dash was different and all of the drivetrain was different. The Mack had all Mack drivetrains, gas through turbo diesel. The N was replaced by the MB.

Several years ago I was told that the Tidewater N was sitting outside rusting. I think it has since been purchased and hopefully is being taken care of.

I purchased the last of the G-model parts from Bob after the plug was pulled.

• Like 1

Interested in Old Trucks? Check out:

www.antiquetruckclubofamerica.org

im friends with a lot of people that work at Roosevelts towing. I remember the H mode of Bobs and remember it being hauled by a neighbor next to where I use to work. never knew it was at Roosevelts but remember it right out front next to the repowered B42 a Bobs auction. I also remember the H on a trailer being hauled to NH. was blue with a funky white stripe down it.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg