"Because our newer International is always in the shop"

Our town is buying a new rescue truck and someone proposed it being built on a Freightliner chassis. Our town already owns a Freightliner that the state made a deal on and its the worst truck in a all Mack RD fleet. Needles to say i think its being built on a Spartan chassis?

Matt- Spartan Chassis? That means its a "Heavy Rescue". I remember when a "rescue truck" meant something like an F-350 or Cheby 3500 that carried just a bit more than an ambulance-like jaws of life etc. some of the departments around here have "heavy rescues" that are tandems!. Check out Minuteman trucks website and "recent deliveries" big tax dollars at work.

Yeah Bob it is a heavy rescue. Its replacing our Rescue 11 and the hazmat truck and its going to be the new Rescue 1 and rescue 1 now is going to be some other name.

This is whats being replaced:

post-13537-0-32115900-1386389374_thumb.j

i just noticed in this picture is says rescue 1 but its 11

and this is the actual Rescue 1:

post-13537-0-62822200-1386389353_thumb.j

all i know is its a lot of money being spent and its suppose to be a nice truck just too bad it wont have a Detroit like everything else...

• Like 2

Matt

Are you spec'ing your heavy rescue Spartan chassis with independent front suspension? I believe the Oshkosh TAK-4 IFS is proprietary to Pierce, but the Timoney "Strider", Reyco Granning and AxleTech independent front suspensions get a lot of praise. AxleTech offers it all, coil spring, air spring or hydraulic strut.

And Hendrickson offers a low cost IFS option with their DMX independent front suspension.

Are you spec'ing your heavy rescue Spartan chassis with independent front suspension? I believe the Oshkosh TAK-4 IFS is proprietary to Pierce, but the Timoney "Strider", Reyco Granning and AxleTech independent front suspensions get a lot of praise. AxleTech offers it all, coil spring, air spring or hydraulic strut.

And Hendrickson offers a low cost IFS option with their DMX independent front suspension.

Not sure. The specs were on the table the other night and i didn't even look at them.

Matt

Almost everyone is going to tandems for the extra braking ability. The bad thing is all of the extra compartment space that get's created gets filled with crap you really don't need just because there is a place to carry it.

I'll bet you never wished for some tool on an extrication that you don't carry on your present rig. When the new rig comes in it will have twice the compartment space and it will be filled within a year with stuff you will never use.

• Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

I work for a county highway dept. they bought 3 2013 Freightliners this spring with cummins power and the fan belt lasted 1500 miles on all 3 of them. the radio Quit working in a month, the seat cushion fell off, they came up put new fan belts on, ( they are coming off again ), fixed the seat but no radio. once they got there money they acted like they didn't want to fix them. they look like they are built even cheaper than the Internationals. and they are ugly at that .

I work for a county highway dept. they bought 3 2013 Freightliners this spring with cummins power and the fan belt lasted 1500 miles on all 3 of them. the radio Quit working in a month, the seat cushion fell off, they came up put new fan belts on, ( they are coming off again ), fixed the seat but no radio. once they got there money they acted like they didn't want to fix them. they look like they are built even cheaper than the Internationals. and they are ugly at that .

our freighshaker cant push snow up a hill with a load of salt on

• Like 1

Matt

Now boys be nice to Freightliner. The Germans are very smart. Ford consistently had around 10% of class 8 and probably 20%+ of class 6 and 7. Daimler steals the business for 300 million bucks, runs it for 10 years, avoids dealer suits and shuts it down. that is a cheap way to buy market share.

Now once International is toast, they will own everything.

Ford? Oh the genius behind that?, Jac Nassar, he is long gone-after he squandered millions on buying Aston Martin, junk yards, auto parts stores in England etc etc.

my company has bought abuncha new trucks in the last few years,,kenworth,international,volvo,and macks...the first 3 are all junk,,thier always in the shop for something,,guys are always in millian mile spares,,while thier brand new one are always in the shop.lol,dont know anything about the macks,,,thier all in the east coast,,,and i dont know anyone that drives one,,,but im sure thier reliable...bob