Need Some Advice '88 Mack Midliner

Hi Guys,

Thanx in advance for your help. I am a mustang magazine writer and a road racer. I have an opportunity to buy a 1988 Mack Midliner single race car hauler. The truck has a toterhome conversion started in the first 10 ft of the box. The truck has 200k miles on it.

I am a car guy and know next to nothing about commercial trucks in general and Mack's in particular. I was hoping to get some advise from the experts. This truck is described as follows:"1988 32' Mack Mid Liner 200,019 miles. DIY Toter Home. I have had the truck for four years and just do not have time to complete it. I have installed a roof mount AC and insulated the walls. Comes with ramps, nice RV style windows. Tires, brakes, fluids, filters all with less than 1,000 miles. Great reliable economical truck. License under 25,000#. No special license".

I my race track travel is at least monthly and is an average of 6 hours in drive time one way.

Here are my questions.

Is a truck of this type and this age able to be a reliable vehicle for my needs?

what are the major expenses that I need to prepare for with one of these trucks?

Thanx for your help.

PonderRacing001.jpg

PonderRacing002.jpg

Midliners are reliable if they are maintained and taken care of. With that said, parts are not considered scarce, but are not stocked at many dealers making them harder to come by. We can help you with parts when needed...That is a nice looking truck! I'd jump on it if the price is right!

• Like 1

bmodel_logo.png
Barry - Watt's Truck Center Parts Manager and BMT Webmaster...1-888-304-MACK

Thats a nice looking outfit, i had a midliner, a little older than yours, it had four hundred thousand on it, all i did was run it, Barry is right , keep the oil changed and reg, mant. and it will run and run, I got really good mileage out of mine, around 15 mpg, i replaced it with a topkick with a Kitty cat in it, So far i rebuild the motor, and about everything else on it and get around 8 mpg

You cant wear that motor out, its bulletproof. We only keep 2 parts instock for Midliners, the clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder and thats it. Parts are hard to look up and every time we order something it comes in wrong. The interior cab parts are kind cheap and flimsy but over all I would buy it if the price was right. They seem to last forever.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
I have been told recently that the french macks are not reliable. I thought I would try and check here on the validity of that.

I had exceptional service from mine. It was an 89 CS-300 with a 210 horse engine. Six years of rollback wrecker usage and the only failed part was a throwout bearing. It would start at ten degrees without either, and without being plugged in.

In my opinion, a truck could not have been more reliable than that one. As stated earlier, parts can be expensive. I found it no more expensive to own/operate than any other truck if taken care or and maintained.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

• 2 weeks later...
You cant wear that motor out, its bulletproof. We only keep 2 parts instock for Midliners, the clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder and thats it. Parts are hard to look up and every time we order something it comes in wrong. The interior cab parts are kind cheap and flimsy but over all I would buy it if the price was right. They seem to last forever.

Up in our neck of the woods we still have many customers that run Midliners. While our parts stock is lower than in the past, we still carry a few hundred numbers. On top of this, some of our customers who have Midliner parts on their shelves will occasionally feed us their stock lists. If we don't have it, sometimes we can get it back from them. We get a few dozen calls per week for Midliners, some as far away as Texas.

The biggest key to looking up Midliner parts is to use the old books instead of the computer. Even when a VRI does exist, it is better to take the build date and info and hit the book so you can get the correct revision listing. This is especially critical with any engine or driveline parts.

• 8 years later...
On 27/11/2007 at 8:05 PM, fjh said:

I will third the duability thing a midliner is a fine unit if maintained.

I'm thinking about getting a 1994 cs200p.... It's very challenging getting info from the internet about the truck.... But the truck only has 80000km.... And the price is great..... 

Do you think it's a great idea to get it based on the miles on it

Neo, the truck is superb. But I don't know about spare parts availability from Volvo (who owns Mack now). I'm concerned that pricing might be.....shocking. That's your primary issue.

In a perfect world, finding a CS250P would be better because it has full air brakes. The CS200P has air-over-hydraulic. Otherwise, they're basically the same truck. Both trucks would have an 8,000lb front axle, but rear axle options were 18,000lb and 21,000lb. I'm guessing your truck has an 18,000lb rear axle.

If you bleed the brakes annually to purge moisture and trash, you'll be fine. But if you don't, those Lockheed wheel cylinders are very expensive.

If I bought the truck, I'd flush out all the old fluid and refill with Motul synthetic brake fluid (but be sure to refill with same when required). That goes for the hydraulic clutch master and slave cylinder system too.

http://www.trucksplanet.com/photo/mack/mid-liner_cs/mid-liner_cs_k362.pdf

https://www.motul.com/ca/en-US/products/oils-lubricants/dot-3-4-brake-fluid?f[application]=144&f[range]=25

• Like 1

Neo welcome mate 

A while ago a fella was on here asking for parts and Mack stuffed him around he gave us the part number and just punched it in and the parts were easy to come by over seas and in the US they are a great little truck I reckon 

Paul

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 6/12/2016 at 3:25 AM, kscarbel2 said:

Neo, the truck is superb. But I don't know about spare parts availability from Volvo (who owns Mack now). I'm concerned that pricing might be.....shocking. That's your primary issue.

In a perfect world, finding a CS250P would be better because it has full air brakes. The CS200P has air-over-hydraulic. Otherwise, they're basically the same truck. Both trucks would have an 8,000lb front axle, but rear axle options were 18,000lb and 21,000lb. I'm guessing your truck has an 18,000lb rear axle.

If you bleed the brakes annually to purge moisture and trash, you'll be fine. But if you don't, those Lockheed wheel cylinders are very expensive.

If I bought the truck, I'd flush out all the old fluid and refill with Motul synthetic brake fluid (but be sure to refill with same when required). That goes for the hydraulic clutch master and slave cylinder system too.

http://www.trucksplanet.com/photo/mack/mid-liner_cs/mid-liner_cs_k362.pdf

https://www.motul.com/ca/en-US/products/oils-lubricants/dot-3-4-brake-fluid?f[application]=144&f[range]=25

Thank u so much for your advise .... Means alot believe me..... And about the brake fluid thanks for that advice too.... I'm that close to getting the truck just waiting on the bank to approve..... Yes it is hydraulic brakes at the front..... But can't it be converted to full ait brakes....if so how can it be done and what do I need

On 6/12/2016 at 3:42 AM, mrsmackpaul said:

Neo welcome mate 

A while ago a fella was on here asking for parts and Mack stuffed him around he gave us the part number and just punched it in and the parts were easy to come by over seas and in the US they are a great little truck I reckon 

Paul

Thank u for the welcome...... Loving the advice I'm getting.....I'm from the Caribbean though....do u think parts can be available here.....the only thing I see the truck needs right now is one king pin and bushing...... 

9 hours ago, Neo said:

Thank u so much for your advise .... Means a lot believe me..... And about the brake fluid thanks for that advice too.... I'm that close to getting the truck just waiting on the bank to approve..... Yes it is hydraulic brakes at the front..... But can't it be converted to full air brakes....if so how can it be done and what do I need

Glad we could help. We aim to please.

A CS200P has air-over-hydraulic brakes........wheel cylinders front and rear. When maintained properly, it's a great system. Make no mistake about that. But when ill-maintained, wheel cylinders are expensive. Use Motul, and you'll have "above average" longevity.

In Europe, they use synthetic brake fluid. But we at Mack years ago were afraid that U.S. customers would accidentally mix ordinary DOT 4 with synthetic fluid. You can just picture it happening. So we filled US market Mid-Liners with DOT 4. You needed to flush the system periodically to rid the accumulated moisture, but most MS/CS 200 customers didn't. So we sold a lot of wheel cylinders. The full-air brake MS/CS250P resolved all this, and customers like Penske and Ryder purchased thousands and thousands.

Don't even ponder changing it over to full-air brakes like the CS250P and CS300P/T. It would be much too costly.

On 9/15/2016 at 8:32 PM, kscarbel2 said:

Glad we could help. We aim to please.

A CS200P has air-over-hydraulic brakes........wheel cylinders front and rear. When maintained properly, it's a great system. Make no mistake about that. But when ill-maintained, wheel cylinders are expensive. Use Motul, and you'll have "above average" longevity.

In Europe, they use synthetic brake fluid. But we at Mack years ago were afraid that U.S. customers would accidentally mix ordinary DOT 4 with synthetic fluid. You can just picture it happening. So we filled US market Mid-Liners with DOT 4. You needed to flush the system periodically to rid the accumulated moisture, but most MS/CS 200 customers didn't. So we sold a lot of wheel cylinders. The full-air brake MS/CS250P resolved all this, and customers like Penske and Ryder purchased thousands and thousands.

Don't even ponder changing it over to full-air brakes like the CS250P and CS300P/T. It would be much too costly.

Ok now I'm getting nervous....I've never seen a dot 4 brake fluid..... Only dot 3 and that they say is fit heavy duty trucks.... Many mechanics told me it's easy to use the front of another truck to convert to full air brakes....And is hit up a type of brake fluid.....never heard of that one ....And when u say maintain properly....u mean just bleed the brake ave change fluid regular along with brake pads....And does air over hydraulic simply mean fluid for the front brakes and air for the rear brakes.....

8 minutes ago, Neo said:

Ok now I'm getting nervous....I've never seen a dot 4 brake fluid..... Only dot 3 and that they say is fit heavy duty trucks.... Many mechanics told me it's easy to use the front of another truck to convert to full air brakes....And is hit up a type of brake fluid.....never heard of that one ....And when u say maintain properly....u mean just bleed the brake ave change fluid regular along with brake pads....And does air over hydraulic simply mean fluid for the front brakes and air for the rear brakes.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOT_4

• 7 months later...