New Hampshire Macks

13 hours ago, wfothergill said:

I've been working on my new Superliner when I can find time between everything else.

Removed previous Owner's lettering and had truck relettered and striped.   Added new emblems and fender mirrors.   Most of the aluminum has been polished, a little more to go!   

Looking forward to getting it registered and out on the road.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Truck looks great, you not driving for Alky any more or you have someone driving it for you. Are you going to do up the other Superliners you have.

Jack

Hello Jack,

I am still working for Alky,  buy as ever.   I have been wanting to put a truck on the road for a while.  I have a good friend  and would like to see him treated well.

I have had owner operators working for us and figure why not add a Superliner into the mix.  May not launch it until the spring, but time will tell.

Red Horse,  New Hampshire has been loosing Federal Highway funds because we have been able to certify trucks and trailers that don't meet the federal bridge formula.

NH  has changed their laws in order to get the federal funding.  You must meet the inner bridge formula (36' from front drive axle to rear trailer axle) to be legal on the interstates.

All other state roads are still good for the shorter lengths.   The tru-axle tractor will make it legal with a trailer shorter than the new ones that meet the bridge formular.NH allows 99,000 on 6 axles plus 5% which gets us up to 103,800.  They are telling us that they are supposed to start axle weighing us and when they do, it will be pretty much impossible to get the drive axles legal, so the tri-axle tractor with the axle down will correct that problem.

15 hours ago, wfothergill said:

Hello Jack,

I am still working for Alky,  buy as ever.   I have been wanting to put a truck on the road for a while.  I have a good friend  and would like to see him treated well.

I have had owner operators working for us and figure why not add a Superliner into the mix.  May not launch it until the spring, but time will tell.

Red Horse,  New Hampshire has been loosing Federal Highway funds because we have been able to certify trucks and trailers that don't meet the federal bridge formula.

NH  has changed their laws in order to get the federal funding.  You must meet the inner bridge formula (36' from front drive axle to rear trailer axle) to be legal on the interstates.

All other state roads are still good for the shorter lengths.   The tru-axle tractor will make it legal with a trailer shorter than the new ones that meet the bridge formular.NH allows 99,000 on 6 axles plus 5% which gets us up to 103,800.  They are telling us that they are supposed to start axle weighing us and when they do, it will be pretty much impossible to get the drive axles legal, so the tri-axle tractor with the axle down will correct that problem.

Thx for response.  Mass waived the bridge formula when they went to 99,000 back in like 80 (?)  we had 11,800 gal Heils with 50,000 lb tandems on tank-axles were set forward so  nice for getting in and out of old locations  You still see some of these old Heils in service.

Would be nice if Me, NH, VT Ma and RI were uniform.  forget about Ct!-still at 80,000 on 5 axles I think

Yes, it would be nice if we could run tandem 26 foot trailers like the guys in Mass.   As you say, so much easier to get around the cities.    I pull a 38' Mac trailer, and the extra distance between the tractor axles and trailer axles make for a smoother all around tide even on the highways.   You get used to the length, I end up backfilling foundations and you can get pretty close to the building if the excavation guys plan for trailers.

• 2 weeks later...

Meadowood County Area Fire Department, Fitzwilliam, NH, once ran this early Mack "B" model pumper as a muster truck. MCAFD was a private fire department that ran a fire school

and provided specialized fire equipment (dive team, rescue tools, tankers, and a couple of former FDNY Mack "Aerialscopes") mutual aid to fire departments in southwest NH,

southeast VT, and north central MA. It is now out of business.

bulldogboy

Scan0004.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Severino is running a lot of Granite AF and AB up near dover along with Peterbilt tri axle trailers. I believe the Granites have Allisons.

Was up to NH over the weekend and Severinos Granites and RD's are crawling all over Dover like ants. I believe they have about 20

dual axle dumps. The Peterbilt tractors may be in jeopardy as I saw a new Western Star pulling a tri axle dump trailer. Also they have a nice

old axle forward A car converted to a water truck. Mack is missing out on the big power CH that could be pulling those tri axle trailers.

Mack still seems to be pretty strong in Eastern Mass and NH.

Edited by james j neiweem

• 2 weeks later...

Former Concord, NH Fire Department Mack sedan cab pumper, either 1946 or 47. Picture taken about 45 years ago with a Kodak "Instamatic camera. It was sitting in a salvage yard in Concord.

bulldogboy

conm.jpg

2 hours ago, bulldogboy said:

Former Concord, NH Fire Department Mack sedan cab pumper, either 1946 or 47. Picture taken about 45 years ago with a Kodak "Instamatic camera. It was sitting in a salvage yard in Concord.

bulldogboy

conm.jpg

Looks like the picture was taken by the old Highway Hotel at exit 14 on 93

3 hours ago, 70mackMB said:

Looks like the picture was taken by the old Highway Hotel at exit 14 on 93

Hippy-that the yard that was on the east side of 93?  Big Gulf station on the west side of 93.  I don't remember the name but I bought a 40' drop frame from the guy.  I remember he still had a bunch of old Colonial Sand & Stone stuff from NYC.

1 hour ago, j hancock said:

Sounds like you may have bought the trailer from Arnold Cohen.

Jim,  Right on!  I could not think of the guys name.  It would have been around 1980-85.  But for sure I remember the Colonials-I think there was at least one Biederman in the bunch.  Trailer was used to mount a processing tank.  Today you call someone up and in a couple of hours you have a  frac tank on site!

Bob and Jim, lt's now Central Auto Recyclers on Basin St off Hall St and there is still some old stuff in the yard. And Cohen Steel Supply is next door.......Hippy

23 hours ago, Red Horse said:

Hippy-that the yard that was on the east side of 93?

23 hours ago, j hancock said:

Sounds like you may have bought the trailer from Arnold Cohen.

2 hours ago, 70mackMB said:

Bob and Jim, lt's now Central Auto Recyclers on Basin St off Hall St and there is still some old stuff in the yard. And Cohen Steel Supply is next door.......Hippy

Hippy-keep your eyes peeled for those red, white and green trucks-but I'm dreaming-after all this time I'm sure they are Chinese steel!

Nashua, NH Fire Department used to run this 1947 Mack "L-85F", 750/200, as Engine 4. Credit to photographer.

bulldogboy

hose 4.jpg

Edited by bulldogboy
  • Like 1
  • Like 1

Nashua, NH Fire Department used to run this 1947 Mack "L-85F", 750/200, as Engine 4.

Didn't that end up somewhere in NJ?

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Nashua sold it in 1974. I don't know the timeline but eventually it ended up in Londonderry, NH where the firefighters' association rehabbed it and lettered for Londonderry. I guess they wanted to use

it for parades, etc. but I never saw it around. Several years ago I saw it for sale on "E-bay". It was in Barre, MA at the time, the owner also had a Mack "B-21F" for sale. If it's in NJ, I'm glad to hear that it is 

still around, It was a classic Mack fire truck.

bulldogboy