Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
h67st

Pete 379 vs. 359

23 posts in this topic

So why are there "359 extended hood" and "379" Petes? What is the difference?

The 359 was built from 1967 until 1987 when Peterbilt replaced it with the 379. The 379 was built from 1987 until 2007.

Always wondered that too.... So is a extended 359 hood the same length as a 379 standard hood?.

I always liked a 359 with the standard hood

I've often asked why are there any Peterbilts,period!!!

I like that

379 was available in 119" and 127" bbc. I think the 359 was also available in two lengths. Most 379's I've seen had the longer hood.

Nowadays the 389 has the extended hood and the 388 has the shorter hood.

379 was available in 119" and 127" bbc. I think the 359 was also available in two lengths. Most 379's I've seen had the longer hood.

Nowadays the 389 has the extended hood and the 388 has the shorter hood.

The 359 also came in a 113". The easiest way to tell the difference between a 359 and 379 is the air cleaner mounting. The 359 has the rubber hose exposed (like a R model). The 379 has the air cleaner mounted tight against the cab with no hose showing. The 389 has tear drop headlights.

Any difference in the size of the 379 cab vs. 359?

the the 379 is wider than the 359. The hood on my 379 gets wider as it reaches the cab,the 359 is the same width all the way to the cab.
1 person likes this

Mack is definitely a better truck, but Pete makes a good one too...especially if you're gonna run all interstate. There's a lot worse trucks out there than Pete.

Because somebody had to build a truck to a customer spec. Like h67st said there are worse trucks like GMC

the the 379 is wider than the 359. The hood on my 379 gets wider as it reaches the cab,the 359 is the same width all the way to the cab.

Thanks. I'm not sure I could tell by looking at the cab, but the hood is a good indicator.

Thanks. I'm not sure I could tell by looking at the cab, but the hood is a good indicator.

Cabs are definatley smaller. I never paid much mind to the Hoods though.

I've got 2 friends with pete 359's.One is a 1974 with a Big Cam 400, the other has a 1984 with a 3406B Model Cat.These are very nice work trucks and one advantage they have over us people with the old Mack trucks is they can readily buy parts.If they need a radiator they can order one at a Pete dealer, or from Detroit Radiator, or many other aftermarket sources. If they need exhaust parts once again Pete ,Grand Rock,Walker and the list goes on.When I needed these items for my 1984 Superliner the local Mack dealer said"sorry,no longer available". I'm certainly not going to knock the Peterbilt brand.

Steve

1 person likes this

I'll stick to the Macks, Autocars and Brockways

1 person likes this

Long

Short

That big rubber hose on the air cleaner is the easiest way to spot a 359.

I always looked at Mack for off road and built for it. Pete and kw were on road driver comfort. But this is from a view point of someone that drove them in that same fashion.

When I worked in Louisiana, we had a short hood 359 lowboy truck, an extended hood 359 lowboy truck, a short hood 379 dump trailer rig, and an extended hood 379 that would switch hit from lowboy to dump trailer. Both the 359's were good looking trucks, as was the extended hood 379, but the short hood 379 was pretty ugly. I can't really tell them from 378's.

I think it all comes down to the driver. I know a guy that stuffs his 379 short nose tri axle dump everywhere the macks tri go, and its air ride. I don't know

When I worked in Louisiana, we had a short hood 359 lowboy truck, an extended hood 359 lowboy truck, a short hood 379 dump trailer rig, and an extended hood 379 that would switch hit from lowboy to dump trailer. Both the 359's were good looking trucks, as was the extended hood 379, but the short hood 379 was pretty ugly. I can't really tell them from 378's.

the 378 hood is fiberglass and alum shroud is more rounderat the top. The 379 short hood is all aluminum like the ext 379.