Volkswagen Light, Medium and Heavy trucks

kscarbel

I had a Ranger once. It was the biggest hunk of Chit I ever had. I wish I still had my F-250. My 2500 Dodge has had a few little problems like the clutch sensor going out. Bypassed that. slave cylinder went out. Lucky it floats the gears and just shut it off at lights to get in gear. Fuel gauges. That damn dodge has eaten more fuel gauges then I know what to do with. rented a few F-150's I really liked them. Had a chevy 1 time. lets just say I will never own one. Rode better then the Ford but damn thing was forever seeking Od. then first little pull it would drop 2 gears and shift back and forth. once the Ford got into od it pretty much stayed there on little pulls. Rented 2 Dakotas. Never,Ever,Ever will I think about buying one of those things. It was squirrley as hell. every little bump I was sideways. and hydroplaned like nothing I have ever driven.

Thanks again for posting those brochures. The 4 door pickup looks like it could be a Ford product.

I knew it reminded me of a VW from the past. :thumb:

You're welcome. But the Amarok is purely a VW design effort. Their is no connection with Ford. When I first saw it in person in South Africa, I couldn't get over how well designed this truck is. It definitely would be at home in the U.S. market. I'd order a 4-door diesel 6-speed 4wd Highline tomorrow if I could.

2012 is the last year for the GM Canyon and Colorado. They are working with Isluzu to design a new pickup. BTW, the Canyon and Colorado were designed by Isluzu. Ford nor Dodge make a small pickup anymore. I owned several S10s and loved them. My last "small" pickup was a Dodge Dakota with 4.7 V8 and 5 speed manual transmission....nice truck.

Not so fast my friend. There's a new Colorado on the way. It's already in production in Thailand and being sold in global markets (like the global Ford Ranger). GM is well aware that the U.S. market mid-size pickup segment is important (too bad Ford is unable to grasp this).

Here's some info on the upcoming U.S. version.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2013-chevrolet-colorado-official-photos-and-info-news

http://www.thetorquereport.com/2011/03/chevy_colorado_show_truck_unve.html

Not so fast my friend. There's a new Colorado on the way. It's already in production in Thailand and being sold in global markets (like the global Ford Ranger). GM is well aware that the U.S. market mid-size pickup segment is important (too bad Ford is unable to grasp this).

Here's some info on the upcoming U.S. version.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2013-chevrolet-colorado-official-photos-and-info-news

http://www.thetorquereport.com/2011/03/chevy_colorado_show_truck_unve.html

Not listed on Chevy or GMC websites. Perhaps it will be a mid-year intro and be a 2014 model. I will try to locate a recent article about GM and Isluzu jointly developing a new mid-size pickup.

BTW, the new 2013 Colorado and Canyon are FUGLY. Look like a Honda. Bring back the old S10 and Sonoma.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

I have a vw toureg tdi (diesel) sure would be nice if they would come out with a little pick up in diesel

Reel that's the V10 twin turbo? That is a bad mother. I want to buy a Jetta wagon diesel 6 speed at some point to take the pressure off of the pickup. Plus 50 + miles per gallon.

Cheers, Rob

• 3 weeks later...

2012 is the last year for the GM Canyon and Colorado. They are working with Isluzu to design a new pickup. BTW, the Canyon and Colorado were designed by Isluzu. Ford nor Dodge make a small pickup anymore. I owned several S10s and loved them. My last "small" pickup was a Dodge Dakota with 4.7 V8 and 5 speed manual transmission....nice truck.

Update:

GM to Reintroduce “Mid-Size” Pickups

Truck/Body Builder / April 2, 2013

General Motors revealed at the 2013 New York Auto Show this week its plans to re-introduce versions of its “mid-size” pickups – the Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon, which the automaker discontinued in 2012 – within two years.

Jeff Luke, executive chief engineer for Silverado, noted at the show that GM plans to an all-new mid-size truck to market based on the Colorado platform.

"Chevrolet will have the broadest portfolio in the business," he explained. "No one will be better positioned to offer each and every truck customer the right tools for the job."

GM North America President Mark Reuss said the OEM would launch its revised midsize pickups towards the end of 2014 at the earliest.

He added that the new Chevy mid-size pickup will be aimed at the "lifestyle" pickup buyer, while the GMC version will be aimed at fleet buyers and small-business owners. Both will be timed to reach showrooms about the same time as Ford's next-generation F-150 in late 2014 or early 2015.

• 2 weeks later...

GM to bring new mid-size trucks to market in 2014

The Detroit News / April 16, 2013

General Motors Co. will bring its all-new midsize trucks to market next year and likely will show the vehicles in the fall, GM North America President Mark Reuss said Tuesday.

Reuss, speaking at the Dawda Mann annual Automotive Industry Breakfast, said the new midsize trucks will launch next year.

"Don't think of them as Canyon and Colorado replacements because they're not," Reuss said.

Last year, GM ended production of the Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon trucks at its Shreveport Assembly Plant in Louisiana.

Reuss said GM expects to target the midsize Chevrolet truck as a lifestyle and sport truck, while the GMC midsize truck will have "95 percent duty cycle of big Sierra with a lot more fuel economy."

The marketing strategy also will be different, Reuss said.

"We're going to really target different buyers with these two trucks," he told reporters after his speech. "We'd love to have a truck like a Chevrolet midsize truck go really attack the West Coast with a lifestyle truck that is really beautiful and fun. It's a different positioning than a semi serious duty cycle truck that we might do with a GMC Canyon."

Reuss also said the midsize trucks would offer better fuel economy, giving customers a clear choice over the larger full-size trucks. Reuss said they would not share powertrains with the larger trucks.

When asked if it's possible the midsize trucks would offer a diesel variant, Reuss said the company was looking "at all that right now."

Reuss said it's possible the new midsize trucks may get new names because they are so different than GM's Colorado and Canyon.

"We're researching the names as we do any new products to see where the legacy names are, do they mean something to people," Reuss said.

The new midsize trucks will be built at GM's Wentzville Assembly Plant in Missouri.

Reuss said the new midsize trucks, coupled with the all-new 2014 full-size Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra that are launching soon, will give GM a truck lineup "that's unmatchable in the industry."