Autocar was a name on someone elses sheet metal and frame, there were very few actual Autocar cabs out here fora short time, Autocars, were normally built for heavy work and could be built well for the job but Mack was all Mack from the front to the back, one place to go for service, one place to go for parts, one name on all the boxes, and its hard to beat an older all Mack chassis in heavy work.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

There was 2 other truck brands we ran other than :mack1: & & that was GMC & Autocar DC & DK Series (ours were Made by W.M.C & Not V&LV#) . reason why we ran GMC Brigadier,General & 9500's was cause they was a poor man's truck & could buy them fairly cheap they just would go where the bulldog & Acar would go though. . far as A-Car goes it was the truck that would hang w/ a Bulldog (@ least here in my neck of the woods ) Most of the Redi mix companies here round Memphis back in the day ran Mack's & Autocars & that was it . The Autocars we had (& a few bulldogs) came from a redi mix company out of Memphis & pop was friends w/ some of the drivers @ the time so they let him know when the old trucks were about to go up for sale .

my 1st choice was & always will be what im named after ;) but my 2nd choice was always the DC & DK Series Acar .

Just my 2 cents & yall have a great one .

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

When I worked at Colonial years back, I drove a new 1978 A-Car with a 290 Cummins and that 955LL trans with 65 top loader rears. I just loved that truck, it had power and top speed of about 70 mph! But then 85 they bought DM 600's with the 285 Maxi with the two stick 6 speed 55 rears ,I did not want to give up the A-Car but I did.The Mack rode better pulled better and had the same top speed!! But the think about the Mack was it did what ever you needed it to do!! The all Mack drive train was great! It shifted better that 285 tip turben engine was a torque monster and would pull 11 yd's with no prob. The only thing was you had to go E/Z around corners or you would roll the Mack (the A-Car had the Hendrickson 65 rubber block) I thought the Mack back then had the edge

BULLHUSK

• Like 1

When I worked at Colonial years back, I drove a new 1978 A-Car with a 290 Cummins and that 955LL trans with 65 top loader rears. I just loved that truck, it had power and top speed of about 70 mph! But then 85 they bought DM 600's with the 285 Maxi with the two stick 6 speed 55 rears ,I did not want to give up the A-Car but I did.The Mack rode better pulled better and had the same top speed!! But the think about the Mack was it did what ever you needed it to do!! The all Mack drive train was great! It shifted better that 285 tip turben engine was a torque monster and would pull 11 yd's with no prob. The only thing was you had to go E/Z around corners or you would roll the Mack (the A-Car had the Hendrickson 65 rubber block) I thought the Mack back then had the edge

BULLHUSK

Did u ever drive one of their 360V-12 Brocks?

I am very fond of A-cars and have had some exceptional examples but that said there is only one truck that the whole country( held) as an example of toughness and durability.

The phrase" BUILT LIKE A MACK TRUCK" is part of the language not built like an A'Car or B'Way

Your mentioning a 12V71 Detroit in a 360 Brockway reminded me that I've got a 12V71TT Detroit that I removed from a gen set with 400 hours on it still sitting and awaiting the right truck to put it in.

I would love to put it in an extremely nice MH9500 GMC but with only a 114BBC there wouldn't be room for the engine much less twin turbo's.

I don't want to put it in a Pete or KW extended hood.

I have built several of Bruce Mallinson's Hi Horsepower Cummins engines ranging in HP from 700 single turbo to 1000 twin turbo. I had one in a 69 A-car that was somewhere between 800 and 850 HP and was strictly awesome.Currently I've got one ( single turbo version ) sitting in the shop awaiting the right B-73.

If you've never heard of Bruce Mallinson google his name, and prepare to be amazed .

Bobtailing on I-80? That sounds like fun.

How about that!!! 44,000 rears with ext leaf Hendrickson an a very short WB you could put your foot on the front drive tire to get to your deck plate!! I think they were 75 yd trailers?? I do know that they had trouble with the frames on the trailers breaking @ the lift axle

BULLHUSK

PS I sure do wish I could get my hands on one or any old Colonial truck, but one of the Brock-V-12's would be nice!

How about that!!! 44,000 rears with ext leaf Hendrickson an a very short WB you could put your foot on the front drive tire to get to your deck plate!! I think they were 75 yd trailers?? I do know that they had trouble with the frames on the trailers breaking @ the lift axle

BULLHUSK

PS I sure do wish I could get my hands on one or any old Colonial truck, but one of the Brock-V-12's would be nice!

pretty big trailers for that

Time i wouldn't mind a 360 v-12 either, or a. 762

• 5 months later...

I have both and am torn between both and I had a brockway..... I love all three but a Mack you can put any driver in and let him beat the snot outta her and will keep goin ..... I do miss my brockway and will have another someday would love a V-12 DD Leaker with a 15 speed fuller or even more so a air shift quad box

post-14937-0-14417000-1369066952_thumb.j