'92 Rd 822s E9 500hp 12 Spd Tri-axle Lowboy Tractor

I just purchased an RD 822s. :chili: It is a truck among trucks and I want to make sure that I take good care of it. It will be used as my lowboy truck and to occasionally haul my dump trailer.

I am looking for the following advise:

1. Any known problems or things I should be careful of with the E9 motor so that it is not damaged? (besides turbo temp, proper cool down)

2. What is the best way to combat rust and corrosion on this truck? There is an extensive amount of salt corrosion that has set in.

3. Any place where I might get a copy of an original owner's manual?

4. Any special advise for the Mack 12 speed tranny?

5. My front fenders look "droopy" as though they have been bent down. Maybe too many rough roads? 20k front axle and 50k cb rears make for a rough ride. Could this cause them to sag over time? Only 90k miles on the truck.

post-1547-1188586199_thumb.jpg

6. Is any history available on this model of trucks? I believe this is one of the last years this model was produced from what little I have read.

7. Any recommendations for the mirror mounts on the doors? The excessively rough ride on this truck has weakened the doors where the mirror frames mount. I want to solve this problem before the doors get cracks as they have on my RW.

I was told the truck came out of NY, has previous yellow paint like the state trucks and lots of salt corrosion most everywhere. The salt damage is my biggest long term concern. I know I need battery boxes and covers to start, new exhaust and detailed sandblasting to get the rust bubbles out.

There will be lots of clean up and detailing to do provided I like the truck and decide to keep it. I don't see how I won't fall in love with it after all of the stories that I've heard about the E9 500's. I'll be ready to sell off my RW613 as soon as I give the new truck a good inspection and shake down. The Superliner is a nice truck but the E6 350 just won't cut it for my heaviest load. It's no fun when the tail tries to wag the dog! I want a dog who can wag any tail no matter how big!

post-1547-1188586536_thumb.jpg

Edited by treemuncher

:WELCOME: tree muncher to BMT AS FAR AS HISTORY OF YOUR Truck ya can call the Mack museum give your VIN # & THey will send the history of it to ya back as far to the original owner Heres the link for the museum

By the Way was this the BIG R800 series in Fort wayne that was for sale on EBAY A FEW weeks ago if so i was watching it

yall have a goodone

later

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

Thanks for the input, guys.

Bulldogman, yes, I purchased it from the dealer ion Fort Wayne, IN this past week. I never did see their ad on Ebay. How much was it listed for on the Ebay site?

It is not a perfect truck but with some work, I am sure it will last me for as long as I am in business. My E 350 4v Superliner flexed a lot and did not have enough power to suit me to pull my loads up the local hills. I usually gross 95K on my regular smaller load and 120K+ with the dozer. I hope the big dog makes the grade for me. If not, it will be up for sale after I find something better. It's not decked out as nice as the Superliner but I need a work truck more than a road truck. The Superliner will be up for sale in the next few months if anyone has an interest in a fine lowboy truck.

best i can remember it was some where round $20k

i see your from West Tn too im in Millington what partya from ? round Memphis or Jackson ?

my family was in the excavating business untill my granddad passed 2 years ago this was a 40plus year family business liquidated because of no will & probate court ordered everything sold

I See the Liebherr dozer in the background we had a 621B Loader & a 721B Dozer untill L.B. Smith bought out Davidson equipment in Memphis back round the late 90's & phased the Liebherr part of the dealership out here by 2000 or 2001 & had to buy parts from Carlisle equipment out of Louisville, Ky after that

We hated to leave Liebherr alone after a period of 10plus years esp w/ good luck we had w/ them but we couldnt get the parts locally so we back to dealing w/ Thompson Cat , Power equipment (Komatsu & Dresser) & Barton Equipment (now Nortrax ) (deere )

now that Deere has thier 655 & 755 built by Liebherr i wouldnt mind owning 1 ;)

& ive been looking for a :MackLogo: w/ camelback suspension & wetkit to pull a dumptrailer & possibly a walking floor trailer ;)

Im sure that ole R Butterfly hood :mack1: w/ E9 in him will do just fine pulling that kinda weight i anit into much shiny chrome on a truck myself cause looks anit everything

All that shiny chrome does is makes it look Pretty when its sitting on the roadside ;)

Later

i see your from West Tn too im in Millington what partya from ? round Memphis or Jackson ?

I'm in Henry County near Paris Landing.

The dozer is a Liebherr PR 751. I used to get parts from Smith but now Deere and Liebherr have partnered so I get them through Erb Eqpt in Paducah when I need factory stuff. Parts can be pricey but man does that thing push a load at a fast clip! D8 track components and blade bits with Cummins power. Hydrostatic joystick controls make life so much faster and easier, too.

I've got an '86 Mack Superliner coming up for sale if you hear of anyone looking for a good lowboy truck. It could use some cosmetic work but the mechanical side is in very good shape. Still looks pretty sharp, too.

ya the 621B & 721B Liebherr's we had used D5B Cat Style undercarriage . & ya thats why i like Liebherr's was the joystick steering & blade/bucket controls (only footpedel was for the 4in1 bucket on the 621B)

love to go to paris landing to fish & to the Catfish festifval in Apirl (i think thats whats it called & about when it is correct me if im wrong)

As far as the Superdog i wouldnt mind having it but winter anit far behind i may wait till late winter or early spring before buying a :mack1: just curious what would be the asking price ?

thanks & later yall B)

Bulldog Man,

I just listed the Superliner in http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/detail....03CD6CF151A2D3C for a starting price of $16,500. That's just an asking price. I've listed a lot of specific details about the truck on the ad. The interior is not super pretty but it has a great gauge package and everything works except for the ac. I will try to get some better pictures up to the ad tomorrow or the next day.

Edited by treemuncher

• 4 weeks later...