j hancock

Mack LJ

27 posts in this topic

A picture from 2003. Jim Flett's LJSWX at a show with his B81 and a LJ single axle tractor behind.

Jim passed away a few years ago. He was a big supporter of the antique truck hobby and took his trucks all over to display

post-7036-0-15154500-1334152145_thumb.jp

1 person likes this

That thing is sick!!! Awesome, all the pictures ive seen of them Fleet trucks, they all look prestine, beautiful, too many words to describe them.

jhancock: What is the circle on side curtain of Jim Flett's LJSWX? Jim's picture was in W O T 1992 Portland National Convention climbing up into the Hayes HD we took to show.Bob D

Yea, what Vinny said, Sick! What do all the letters in the L series mean? Like LJ and LJSWX and other different combinations. Is it like the B models where SX means tandem extreame duty chassis?

Ben

Yea, what Vinny said, Sick! What do all the letters in the L series mean? Like LJ and LJSWX and other different combinations. Is it like the B models where SX means tandem extreame duty chassis?

Ben

Mack nomenclature has always been consistent, confusing to most, but easy once the language is learned.

The L is the cab, J is the GVW class, SW is 6 wheeler, and the X is extra heavy, usually associated with double frame & off highway use / heavy haul.

I used to have a 1955 LJ2DX, which looked about the same & translated the same as the LJSWX, the LJ is the same 2D - 2 drive axles, the X is the same. it was spec'd and only used off highway in a rock quarry.

Ap40

1 person likes this

ap40rocktruck:the LJSWX had the hard nose and LJSW had soft nose I think.Which nose is on your LJ2DX?Photo and chassis number if you can.Bob D

I see, pretty much what I thought. I guess there where other L series too then. What other letters were there (LJ, LM, LG, I don't know)? I've never seen anything other than LJ.

Ben

I have an LF!

So the letters are in alphabetical order then. An LD would be smaller in GVW than a LE?

Ben

jhancock: What is the circle on side curtain of Jim Flett's LJSWX? Jim's picture was in W O T 1992 Portland National Convention climbing up into the Hayes HD we took to show.Bob D

Hello Bob, The round circle is a decal that the business made celebrating 50 years of business.

If it involved trucks and big iron, he would be there.

So the letters are in alphabetical order then. An LD would be smaller in GVW than a LE?

Ben

Hey Ben, There were LF, LH, LJ, LM and LT series trucks. In the fire service, you had trucks such as L85, etc.

There weren't models for every letter so there is no LD or LE. LE did come later and I think is still used to indicate Low Entry for use in garbage truck duty cabs.

Mack would build special trucks at times so sometimes GVW can get a little hard to follow. Back in the day the spot on the VIN was blank where GVW is to be listed.

"USUALLY" GVW was LF lightest, LT, LH, LJ middle range and LM really heavy.

There is no hard and fast GVW classification for this era of trucks, it depends on how they were speced and then built.

Jim

ap40rocktruck:the LJSWX had the hard nose and LJSW had soft nose I think.Which nose is on your LJ2DX?Photo and chassis number if you can.Bob D

Bob,

It was a hard nose. The truck was sold in 2006 to a Steel erection company, who restored it with a flat deck on it.

Ap40

In the fire service world the number designation; 75, 85,95, etc. refer to the pump size and the corresponding power plant needed to drive the pump's gpm requirement.

Hey Ben, There were LF, LH, LJ, LM and LT series trucks. In the fire service, you had trucks such as L85, etc.

There weren't models for every letter so there is no LD or LE. LE did come later and I think is still used to indicate Low Entry for use in garbage truck duty cabs.

Mack would build special trucks at times so sometimes GVW can get a little hard to follow. Back in the day the spot on the VIN was blank where GVW is to be listed.

"USUALLY" GVW was LF lightest, LT, LH, LJ middle range and LM really heavy.

There is no hard and fast GVW classification for this era of trucks, it depends on how they were speced and then built.

Jim

Okay. Thanks a lot for the help.

Ben

What is the difference between a hard nose and a soft nose?

soft nose is metal cover over radiator and hard nose is cast iron or cast aluminum rad.Jim Fletts in opening post is a hard nose.Bob D

Thanks, Bob! I'm always learning something new here!

Corey

Beautiful, I love your Mack. I remember reading the article on it in the Wheels of Time Magazine. Wasn't it at Macungie last year too, along with Matt Phales Macks?

Vinny:

It was written up in Old Time Trucks last year but, yes, it was at Macungie last year. I have not decided about this year but it will definitely be at the ATHS National in Springfield. Will we see you there?

John

Vinny:

It was written up in Old Time Trucks last year but, yes, it was at Macungie last year. I have not decided about this year but it will definitely be at the ATHS National in Springfield. Will we see you there?

John

Oh, ya I remember now it was Old Time Trucks. I prolly wont be at springfield, but I deninetly will be at Macungie. we already have the rooms booked.