Superliner Sleeper

fifth wheel

Can-Am had both a straight truck Superliner and a Tractor Superliner that hauled Bunk models of all shapes and sizes they produced to shows in US and Can. Can- Am was a Company out of Quebec, Canada.

Can-Am built the sleepers that were factory installed at the Oakville Assembly plant. Mack Canada in turn discounted the RWII's That Can-Am used for showing their products.

I have pictures of both of the Silver with blue striped trucks. I will have to dig them up and scan them onto here.

Although Alumi bunk and Mik Mac were available at Canadian Branches and dealers, both were not installed on the line.

The best way to tell if your bunk is factory is by looking up the build info on the Mack parts system. Canadian trucks ordered will show by its exhaust piping arrangement. Most were ordered with under frame exhaust that was augmented by the bunk builder.

My Oakville Engineering friend said that they used "Hockey Pucks" for the factory installed sleeper mounts because they lasted longer then any generic rubber mount.

Don't get much more Canadian then that Eh!!!

why do Canadian Mack's have the stack behind the bunk? I also seem to notice that many Canadian R's were outfiited with Fuller trans. . . .???

Fun is what they fine you for!

My name is Bob Buckman sir,. . . and I hate truckers.

We could go on about how the plant was never really outfitted to do in house bunk mounts but it had more to do with what the customer ordered. Back in the 80's if you stocked trucks with more then a 200" wheelbase it could have a sleeper added, cut down to a shorter wheelbase or left alone to haul gravel etc for maximum gross weights. Not very many trucks sat on Canadian truck lots with a sleeper already mounted. It made sense to have the customer custom order the bunk and just slide the exhaust back. The Fuller tranny thing made the truck lighter and oif I'm not mistaken cheaper to order then a Mack trans. Customers ended up ordering more of them. Even today you would have a hard time finding a Mack trans in a Canadian stocked truck after 1988 or so.

• Like 1

We could go on about how the plant was never really outfitted to do in house bunk mounts but it had more to do with what the customer ordered. Back in the 80's if you stocked trucks with more then a 200" wheelbase it could have a sleeper added, cut down to a shorter wheelbase or left alone to haul gravel etc for maximum gross weights. Not very many trucks sat on Canadian truck lots with a sleeper already mounted. It made sense to have the customer custom order the bunk and just slide the exhaust back. The Fuller tranny thing made the truck lighter and oif I'm not mistaken cheaper to order then a Mack trans. Customers ended up ordering more of them. Even today you would have a hard time finding a Mack trans in a Canadian stocked truck after 1988 or so.

Thanks for the reply!

Fun is what they fine you for!

My name is Bob Buckman sir,. . . and I hate truckers.