Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
j hancock

Big Iron Photos

25 posts in this topic

Marino Crane's Mack LR on the Northfield Mountain, MA jobsite a few days after bringing in new electrical equipment.

post-7036-0-03363500-1332601384_thumb.jp

post-7036-0-08463300-1332601396_thumb.jp

1 person likes this

awesome!!!! do you have any u model pictures?

Well, if I thought there was a truck out there that could move a load, that would be it. Cool pictures.

Ben

Marino is from Middletown ct. They have/had two of those. They were ex Gerosa units. I got to see them painted from green and white to Marino red.They also have an

Autocar AP that pulled all of the decommisioned equipment from the Nuclear plant Conneticut yankee that I worked at. Too bad one of the Mack L's didn't come down.

The A-car pulled the steam generator shells up the hill from the plant using a western star as a pusher. The shells had to be about 100 tons and they were pulled and pushed

up a 15-20% grade(guess). Morino has a bunch of kw-900's for lowboy flatbed work. (Time for a Titan tryout). Marino was recently bought out by a company from New York I beleive.

Mack has pretty much lost the heavy haul business. Although the CL offered cummins cat and detroit at first' towards the end it was just Cummins. Pacaar probably cornered

heavy haul because of the yellow kitty motors. Now is a good time for Titan to jump in(no more kitty motors except for the new cat truck. Bottom end kitty top end max farce.

1 person likes this

Marino Crane's Mack LR on the Northfield Mountain, MA jobsite a few days after bringing in new electrical equipment.

Thats nice STUFF!!!!

a company called Hoffman Rigging in Port Nwk. years ago had a big Mack end dump that they made into a tractor that was bg stuff like that one , also Gerosa from Bronx NY had a couple a big A-Cars like the Mack!!! I love those big trucks!!

BULLHUSK

Thanks Moosejockey, Im looking at there website now. Looks like one big operation!

Marino is now owned by Barnhart crane and rigging Inc.

www.barnhartcrane.com

Great link - click on the transportation section - lots of cool stuff!

How about this Hallamore KW. They were moving some electrical equipment to a site in Chelsea MA

post-1625-0-01429600-1333041297_thumb.jp

Yup!

That KW growed up Bbbig!

Hallamore has a couple of nicely restored Macks.

Last time i was in that neighborhood, I was taking the land route into Logan. If I recall there were still some cobblestone streets, Second Street going to Everett I think had some stone.

Always an interesting trip!

Yup!

That KW growed up Bbbig!

Hallamore has a couple of nicely restored Macks.

Last time i was in that neighborhood, I was taking the land route into Logan. If I recall there were still some cobblestone streets, Second Street going to Everett I think had some stone.

Always an interesting trip!

10-4 on the Macks- one of the owners has I beleve 5 or 6 F(J?S) that Matt Pfahl has been doing.

You thinking of Beacham St. in Everett?-goes by the Exxon-Mobil terminal and through the NE Produce Center-unbelieveably bad road.

Hallamore KW! Thats blasphemy. Just goes to show how far Mack has fallen in heavy haul. :blush:

Its a shame that Mack no longer makes really big iron like they used to. For a while the CL was their biggest offering and from what I remember was not offered with big planetary axles from factory.

But with the introduction of the Titan, they now offer planetary axles up to 110,000 lbs and offer the same on the granite. It will still be an uphill battle for Mack as Kenworth and Westernstar have been at the big heavy duty custom game non stop. Mack had a gap for a while and KW along with WS filled that gap and they offered far more options than Mack.

BUT it aint all bad news, Mack can still pickup the pieces and if the demand for highly custom super heavy spec trucks picks up they (or their Swedish masters) can put more money into engineering more options and configurations.

I don't think we will ever see monsters as big as the LR or M series (weight distribution laws make them impractical) but hopefully we will see more extra heavy Titan's and Granite's pulling super haul loads.

Personally I think they should try to break back into the O/O market with a new Superliner but that is just wishful thinking. What that should do is get an MP10 into the Vision/Pinnacle and attract more of the Volvo/FL/IH OTR market.

1 person likes this

Its a shame that Mack no longer makes really big iron like they used to. For a while the CL was their biggest offering and from what I remember was not offered with big planetary axles from factory.

But with the introduction of the Titan, they now offer planetary axles up to 110,000 lbs and offer the same on the granite. It will still be an uphill battle for Mack as Kenworth and Westernstar have been at the big heavy duty custom game non stop. Mack had a gap for a while and KW along with WS filled that gap and they offered far more options than Mack.

BUT it aint all bad news, Mack can still pickup the pieces and if the demand for highly custom super heavy spec trucks picks up they (or their Swedish masters) can put more money into engineering more options and configurations.

I don't think we will ever see monsters as big as the LR or M series (weight distribution laws make them impractical) but hopefully we will see more extra heavy Titan's and Granite's pulling super haul loads.

Personally I think they should try to break back into the O/O market with a new Superliner but that is just wishful thinking. What that should do is get an MP10 into the Vision/Pinnacle and attract more of the Volvo/FL/IH OTR market.

MP 10 in a heavy spec long haul is a big void. A Titan with a good size sleeper would do the trick and sell just for the looks and power,maybe make them the super load truck but as you say, a heavy spec Pinnacle with an MP 10 would be the wise choice because of turning radius,wheel base and fuel saving on long hauls. I think fuel savings is really coming to the front of the list of must haves.

THADDEUSW:All the CL350's were planetarys.the first ones came with green leakers,5960 allison 6 speeds,1400x25 tires,15 ft bunks made by Columbia trailer,with 60 ton Columbia trailers.They were designed to take over from Hayes who were now defunct.Compete with Pacific P-16's and Kenworth 850's.I think there was about 29 built and most were sold to Mac Millan Bloedel Menzie Bay Div.on Vancouver Island.Two of them got V-12 Rolls-Royce diesel's in them.A lot of them are still working for Busby Logging on Queen Charlett Islands.A lot of them were repowered and came with KTA's @ 600 hp.and 6061 allison's.Bob D

THADDEUSW:All the CL350's were planetarys.the first ones came with green leakers,5960 allison 6 speeds,1400x25 tires,15 ft bunks made by Columbia trailer,with 60 ton Columbia trailers.They were designed to take over from Hayes who were now defunct.Compete with Pacific P-16's and Kenworth 850's.I think there was about 29 built and most were sold to Mac Millan Bloedel Menzie Bay Div.on Vancouver Island.Two of them got V-12 Rolls-Royce diesel's in them.A lot of them are still working for Busby Logging on Queen Charlett Islands.A lot of them were repowered and came with KTA's @ 600 hp.and 6061 allison's.Bob D

Hi Bob,

I do know of the CL350's, Almost forgot the CL name was used twice! I was referring to the CL, the big brother of the CH.

Thanks for the information on the CL350's, I thought most of them were long gone.

MP 10 in a heavy spec long haul is a big void. A Titan with a good size sleeper would do the trick and sell just for the looks and power,maybe make them the super load truck but as you say, a heavy spec Pinnacle with an MP 10 would be the wise choice because of turning radius,wheel base and fuel saving on long hauls. I think fuel savings is really coming to the front of the list of must haves.

Yes the lack of a sleeper option for the Titan is absolutely asinine. I wonder if its Volvo who is holding them back from offering one and why.

I think the Pinnacle has a good chance of becoming a great heavy duty aero offering from Mack if they do it right. So far it looks like the new Pinnacle is selling like hot cakes and drivers love them. Build one with an MP10, 20k steer, double frame, those fancy European style planetary hub reduction axles with 315/80R22.5 tires and you have a nice heavy hauler. I saw a picture of an Australian Volvo VN with a locally built aero sleeper, hub reduction axles and heavy front axle with a Cummins 600 under the hood. Looked real slick and I thought, why doesn't Mack offer this?

it is a shame mack lost the heavy haul market. they owned for decades until the v8 went the way of the buffalo. im not sure why the titan hasnt sold more because i think it superior to the kenworths that seem to be every where now . the cl700 was really a great truck ive seen them with 80k and 100k lb planetarys from time to time all of them had the big e9 power though. and then of coarse there was the rd800. it just seems mack doesnt have the cool factor now that kenworth and peterbilt have. most younger drivers dont even know the great history of mack. they wont sit in a truck if its not a paccar. not me im 32 years old and know macks are still great trucks. i grew up in mack rd, then superliners and cl. the first truck i drove was a 89 superliner e9500 18 speed . i loved it .

The company I bought my truck from out of Montreal has gone Kenworth, they were all Mack, a company I used to haul for has gone all Kenworth, he used to be all Mack. My truck was built for the 2005 Montreal Truck show, it was specked to the hilt for heavy long haul, the frame11 3/4,rears 46,front end 14600, trans 18spd,it's got 315 80 22.5 on reat 12 22.5 front, Canada is full of these, but they are stuck with that 460p and that is their downfall. If my truck had a 525 cat or a 600 Cummins you could see me coming from miles away, nothing but teeth. Even an MP10 if they are working out, I'd be all smiles. I had a 379 and loved how it drove and all the power but the sleepers suck, this is like a hotel room, problem is it has about the same pulling power.

One reason people are going Pete or Kenworth, in that order, is resale value. When you sell trucks like Mack has with these ai's asets, and all the other tries, no one wants to get stuck with the next test engine, thats how the Owner operators are feeling about the mp's. Even the Pacar motors, Cummins is selling in most Petes and KW's. they can be trusted and have resale.Detroit is another old faithful but Freightliner Western Star won't share. If you don't like a Freightshaker or a W, no Detroit.

I would love a 15 ltr Detriot in my truck. I think the resale would be double what it is now.

Love the avatar Logtruckman! Looks to be a Timberjack with a Jimmy in it? Looks like the first couple of skidders my dad had.

I agree with you all on the power issues Mack has. I really like my Rawhide but the little 460 really sucks with our weights and weather in Canada. Most of my otr trucking is done in the winter and in Canada pulling 100000 plus lbs with a 40 mph wind while its -35 has just about changed my truck brand to Western Star. Mack really has to get the Mp10 into an over the road sleeper truck quickly as not all trucks just pull 80000 lbs on nice inter state hyws. Sorry for my rant just really getting tired of these guttless engines. Dennis.

problem is mack has the titan now so no more excuses guys.