83 mack r-model

jimibusch

I have a 83 mack r-model with 5speed trans. Motor was rebuilt 10 years ago and only has few 1000 miles on the rebuild. It hasn't moved it 7 years and hasen't been started in 4 years. Some kids got to it and busted out front and rear windows and all gauges. Side windows and doors are still in good shape. Yes! the tractor has rust. I also have a bunch of random mack r-model parts laying around. Picture upon request. location = chicago -jimi

Part OUT? junk? Fit up?

I have a 83 mack r-model with 5speed trans. Motor was rebuilt 10 years ago and only has few 1000 miles on the rebuild. It hasn't moved it 7 years and hasen't been started in 4 years. Some kids got to it and busted out front and rear windows and all gauges. Side windows and doors are still in good shape. Yes! the tractor has rust. I also have a bunch of random mack r-model parts laying around. Picture upon request. location = chicago -jimi

Part OUT? junk? Fit up?

I'm looking for a couple of round step tanks. Please post photos. Depending on engine I may be interested in that also. I'd like to have photos of the truck no matter the condition.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know how to post pictures so i "attached" them. ill take some pictures of the interior parts i have laying around. Im located on southside of chicago. Id love to sell the hole truck as a hole.

Where are you at? IM in Warrenville right now and will leave tomorrow evening.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Rob

Rob

"Momma" is prolly gonna break the testicle jar open and cut whats left of them in half,,,,randyp

"Momma" is prolly gonna break the testicle jar open and cut whats left of them in half,,,,randyp

Please don't tell her.

Rob

When I was running down I-88 today, I could sense there was an RS 700 lover in the area.

Yup, I'm attending an electrical safety training class in Elgin at the TRACON. Going back home tomorrow. I'll be back next month for another class in Aurora. Will try to stop and visit unless the uncertain future I'm certain to have if I purchase this truck precludes any further endeavors.

Rob

I have title in hand. Ive talked to a few people and im now unsure of what i should do with it. or how much i can get for it in $. I own a 86 mack r-model and pull a flatbed.. Id hate to sell too someone that is going to part it out on me for the trans/motor/rear end's. I have a love for these r-model's and been working on them with my dad sense high school. Easy machine to maintain. Ive yet to put it on craigslist and/or ebay.

I have title in hand. Ive talked to a few people and im now unsure of what i should do with it. or how much i can get for it in $. I own a 86 mack r-model and pull a flatbed.. Id hate to sell too someone that is going to part it out on me for the trans/motor/rear end's. I have a love for these r-model's and been working on them with my dad sense high school. Easy machine to maintain. Ive yet to put it on craigslist and/or ebay.

I'd use it for parts. I like R models too but collect the "700" series trucks. This one would come apart to help others with their projects along with myself. I'd really have no interest in working with this as a complete truck.

Rob

any info on how i can get trans and engine size? the vin number im guessing. from memory... Its got a 5 speed. no high/low like my 86 mack. and its air cleaner/box has two tubes. My 86 has only one(wtb: air box for my 86mack $. ill post that in wanted section soon, mine has rust!). Also the motor has its innercooler on top the engine. If that helps. At one time we had 4 macks on the road at a time, R-models. :)

I have many random mack interior parts laying around. I might post them on craigslist and few items on ebay.

On the passenger side of the engine will be an aluminum plate with number stampings. If the engine is original to the chassis the number should read something like ETAZ-300 or similar. If there is no aluminum plate, look on the front engine housing where the injection pump bolts to the engine. It will be stamped something like ENDT676, or similar. It is probably a 300+ engine with only a five speed trans. What is the series of truck: R685ST, R686ST? That would nail it down further.

Rob

If it has 2 tubes from air cleaner and 5 speed I would say it is a 300 (283-285 hp ) Maxidyne. If it was a 300 plus it would have a 9,10 or more speed trans as they were not high torque rise engines Thermodynes.Joe D.

You are correct in the 300+ was a conventional rise engine. My mistake. I'm sure he has a Maxidyne series also if original but the 300+ in my truck does have two tubes.

Rob

All Mack engines with the tip turbine and side mount aftercooler(ENDT676,300+,or the early 350's) had the two element air cleaner with twin tubes,with the exception of the very early ones that used the hood scoop.

Great info, I had forgotten about the hood scoops. I was 11 in '73 and thought the scoop was on the hood only because it looked cool, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Jim

Great info, I had forgotten about the hood scoops. I was 11 in '73 and thought the scoop was on the hood only because it looked cool, not that there's anything wrong with that.

You must not have known about it as you were in your pre-awkward disco stage

Rob I should have said the 237 had one tube from air cleaner sorry about that. I never owned a 300+so no experience with them, but had several 237 and 300 Maxidynes. Joe D.

HI Joe, my 72 R685 w/237 also has two tubes with a door to take in underhood air which is warm in the winter. There is a flap inside one of the tubes directing where the intake air comes from.

Rob