Bad News, Good News

Underdog

Bad news first. Three weeks ago I was involved in a seemingly minor traffic accident, and now the insurance company has decided that my CX is a total loss. A 5-mph bump and the estimate for repairs came back over $20,000 ! ! ! I do intend to buy back MY truck, to me it is priceless and I also know it can be repaired for about half that cost and my own labor. This truck WILL be back.

However when life gives you lemons, one needs to make lemonade ! The good news is that I have recently aquired another truck to run in the meantime while the CX is down. I have convinced Sweet Polly that this would be the best option moving forward. I told her that a Superliner would be an important part of my rehabilitation.

Gregg

post-2694-0-97731800-1323306998_thumb.jp

1984 RWS721LST E9 400, 10 speed, 4.17 ratio, 36" Able sleeper

I found it on Commercial truck trader.com and drove it home 350 miles from Roanoke,VA last week. I am going through the truck now and hope to be on the road with it before Christmas.

At 5 mph, what the hell could cause so much camage?

Plastic front bumper-1200-1300 dollars. Umm, do you have the trans cooler down low in front?

I'm just thinking what could be at risk on mine. 2001 CX

BUT, that is a nice looking replacement

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

At 5 mph, what the hell could cause so much camage?

Plastic front bumper-1200-1300 dollars. Umm, do you have the trans cooler down low in front?

I'm just thinking what could be at risk on mine. 2001 CX

BUT, that is a nice looking replacement

Most of the damage is under the hood. Radiator, aftercooler, turbo, A/C. The cooler pipes got pushed back and actually broke the turbo in half! Also hood and metal bumper. The estimate was done at a Mack dealer so I am sure the cost is for all new parts at list price. I know it won't cost as much as they say, but it doesn't help my case with the insurance company, either. That is the risk of running older equipment. The bean counters say it ain't worth fixing.

Gregg

As long as I had that Superliner I think I would just fix the CX for a spare!

You may be right... I am still quite partial to my CX we have been through a lot together. But this was an opportunity to get a truck I have always wanted. One could easily become attached to a Superliner. It remains to be seen which truck becomes the spare !

Gregg

Sorry to hear about your little wreck,but I'd say you done real good on the Superliner.It should dress up real nice.

You didn't happen to look over the Western F that was advertised from the same place,did you?

Why in the hell is this thing underlining???????

I got the truck from Industrial Truck & Equipment on Rt. 11 in Roanoke. Owner Gerry Ayers wanted to keep this Superliner for his own collection, but he admitted having too many trucks. He is an ATHS member and has quite a collection of trucks, mostly Macks and a Brockway that I saw. His business seems to focus on exporting trucks, R models of course the most popular. Gerry told me about the Western F model, and it was a V8 truck, but that one was already sold & gone. My Superliner and the F both came from B. A. Moore in Rocky Mount, VA.

Overall I am satisfied with the deal, the Superliner seems to be a good solid truck. I spent the first 4 days working inside the cab & bunk straightening out 25 years of shadetree electrical work and getting all the lights working. Some cosmetics inside the cab, a few new hoses and an oil leak at the fuel pump she should be ready for the road again.

Gregg

It has two left hand mirrors doesn't it? Nice truck, wish I had one! Trey

Good eye there, Trey. I didn't even notice the mirrors! I plan to upgrade to heated mirrors anyway, the wiring and switch are already inside.

This truck would suit you well... Notice the SHORT STACK lol

Gregg

That depends. Is the driver side the left or right?

Yup, they should both face the center of the truck.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Sweet. It'll end up the first stringer. Nothing like a Superliner, wish I could find one. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Sorry to hear about your little wreck,but I'd say you done real good on the Superliner.It should dress up real nice.

You didn't happen to look over the Western F that was advertised from the same place,did you?

Why in the hell is this thing underlining???????

lol,,,you gotta click on the big U to get ridda the line.lol bob

Sweet. It'll end up the first stringer. Nothing like a Superliner, wish I could find one. Paul

Over the years I have come to believe that you don't have to look too hard. The right truck will find you.

I would say I lucked out on this one. I am in need of a truck and didn't expect to find a Superliner I could afford. The prices for decent RW's has been out of my reach. A truck newer than my CX was out of the question because I don't care to have a payment book or an EGR engine.

Gregg

A real looker, congratulations! Could you post some under-the-hood photos? It would sure be interesting for me as a modeller! Thanks a lot in advance and have good luck with your truck

Paweł

I will post some engine photos. Let me know if you need to see any specific detail area.

Gregg

Sorry to hear about the CX,know i'd be lost without mine! gotta agree though,there is not much to protect the "internals" on the front end of a CX,but that definately sounds like a bloated estimate for sure. Good looking Superliner though! E.W. Wylie still runs mostly Macks,but most of the older ones i've seen have suffered some HARD winters! this one looks to be in nice shape,suprized i have not seen it around,Boones Mill,VA is only about 30 miles north of me,hope it all comes together fro you!.......................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Nice find. What kinda fuel mileage will you get with that V8?? How many miles on it?

I have not pulled a load yet so I will report later on fuel economy. My old MH got a steady 5 mpg with 4.42 axles so I expect at least that with the 4.17's

No idea on the total mileage on the truck, the title noted 356,000 miles in august of this year. My guess would be at least 1,356,000 although the chassis is very tight. A major factor in my decision to buy this truck is that the engine overhaul has only 93,000 miles on it, done at the Mack garage in Roanoke.

Gregg

I will post some engine photos. Let me know if you need to see any specific detail area.

Gregg

If you could be so kind, the radiator area, the front cab wall and the general area of the air dryer are particularily interesting to me. Thanks in advance - and have a nice day!

Paweł