Doors

hey guys hows it going? have any of you bought doors from mack recently for an r model. i was curios to see how much they are. i'd buy used ones if i could find them. but i want them to be rust free. also is changing the glass and all the guts out of door hard or easy? thanx

88 R686st

80 R685

93 Ford L8000

02 Ford F550xl

06 Ford F550xlt

06 Ford F350 lariat

hey guys hows it going? have any of you bought doors from mack recently for an r model. i was curios to see how much they are. i'd buy used ones if i could find them. but i want them to be rust free. also is changing the glass and all the guts out of door hard or easy? thanx

It will probably take a person about an hour and a half to gut the first door and build up the replacement. Will probably take about 1/2-2/3 that time to do the second.

I did both of mine in under an hour but that doesn't count the cleanup and greasing of the working parts. I did not need to replace anything.

If you are not experienced in this kind of operation, only do one door at a time to use the second as a guide if you get lost.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

thanks for the help. how much did u pay for your doors. mine are beyond repair and i cant wait to get her painted up.

I did not purchase new doors. They were new OEM about 18 months ago from the previous owner, I only cleaned and oiled the moving parts as they were a little stiff to operate.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Stripping the door is really easy, as the window, window regulator assembly all comes out together. If the door has a trim panel you will need to remove it. First roll the window all the way down, if there is no trim panel you can leave the door handle, and window handle in place. Then remove the door lock cylinder, by slipping a screwdriver under the clip located beside the door striker, and prying it back about 1/4 inch. Then remove the 3 striker mounting screws. This will leave you with a row of screws all the way around the outside edge of the regulator panel. Take them out and and carefully remove the window assembly. Before you reassemble the door loosen the 2 screws that attach the door striker to the panel about 1/2 turn. Start all screws before you tighten any, save the 2 striker to panel screws for last. If you are building up a door from scratch, it would be a good time to examine the lower mirror mounting bracket plate located inside the door. If the screw threads are good, mix up some JB Weld and smear some at both ends of the plate. When I had the brackets off my super liner for painting, that darn plate hit the bottom of the door when I removed the last screw. Have fun, James

i'd buy used ones if i could find them. but i want them to be rust free.

If looking for rust free doors for a R-model, check out the aluminum doors on a F-model. Only difference I saw was the mirror mounting holes were different.

Jeff

1971 Mack R600 Toterhome "Superdawg"

living the life of leisure pulling

1999 NuWa Snowbird 34+2 SE102 "Dawghouse"

Just was on e-bay. Someone on there is selling door shells for an r model. They were new. I think they wanted around 150.00 for them. I'll look again to see if I can find them on there.

greg

A word of advice on aftermarket door shells from experience. You truly get what you pay for. If you purchase new aftermarket door shells (produced in Taiwan via ebay etc..) be sure to undercoat them well on the inside, and also purchase 3M brand sound insulator pads (they cut down on resonance considerably) about 12"X12" and stick to the center of the door skin on the inside. These pads are not so much to dampen noise, (who the hell can hear much in an R model anyway), but to partially eliminate "skin flex". The aftermarket door shells have a lot more "flex" when mounted and I've seen 3 sets cracked around the mirror brackets, and door handles in my shop alone. I know Mack OEM parts are expensive, but if you go the extra money, prep and install them correctly, it will be money well spent in the long haul.

Rob

thanx for the info guys. ya if i cant find good used ones i will just buy new. i figure if i buy them new then they are gonna be good for another 20 years so i guess thats money well spent.

88 R686st

80 R685

93 Ford L8000

02 Ford F550xl

06 Ford F550xlt

06 Ford F350 lariat

Very true about getting what you pay for w/ after market doors! There is a company, PAI industies that supplies non mack parts. They just dont have the quality but will work fine. I have used them, what I did was use spray on truck bed liner inside the doors, I like it better than undercoating for rust proofing. I also used Ice and Water shield that you use for home construction as sound deadener, works mint.

• 9 years later...
On 2/19/2007 at 9:34 PM, Bollweevil said:

Stripping the door is really easy, as the window, window regulator assembly all comes out together. If the door has a trim panel you will need to remove it. First roll the window all the way down, if there is no trim panel you can leave the door handle, and window handle in place. Then remove the door lock cylinder, by slipping a screwdriver under the clip located beside the door striker, and prying it back about 1/4 inch. Then remove the 3 striker mounting screws. This will leave you with a row of screws all the way around the outside edge of the regulator panel. Take them out and and carefully remove the window assembly. Before you reassemble the door loosen the 2 screws that attach the door striker to the panel about 1/2 turn. Start all screws before you tighten any, save the 2 striker to panel screws for last. If you are building up a door from scratch, it would be a good time to examine the lower mirror mounting bracket plate located inside the door. If the screw threads are good, mix up some JB Weld and smear some at both ends of the plate. When I had the brackets off my super liner for painting, that darn plate hit the bottom of the door when I removed the last screw. Have fun, James

I'm stumped on the door handle and window crank handle. I've never seen anything like them in the sense that they seem to have pins running through them but I can't get them out. Any help on that matter?

Edited by BigDogR600

After pushing the escutcheon collar back, the pins "should" push out with a small punch.  Sometimes a few taps with a hammer on the punch might be needed because dirt or gunk has jammed them up.  Hopefully no one put JB Weld or something on the pins.  That will be a problem.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.