What Is Mack "m" Ride Suspension?

M-ride is Volvos T-ride suspension, they just changed the first letter in the name to try to fool us. Its similar to camelback in the sense that its a center point parabolic spring suspension, though its a 6 rod setup. It is a 2 stage type so the springs have rubber cushions on them to make the ride smoother when unloaded. Its similar to the tuf-track from Freightliner. The only thing I don't know yet is if its available with Mack axles or just Rockwell/Dana-Spicer axles.

Here is a pic, you can see the cushion between the springs and the axle:

post-314-1169713194_thumb.jpg

post-314-1169713333_thumb.jpg

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Thad wrote:

M-ride is Volvos T-ride suspension, they just changed the first letter in the name to try to fool us.

Just another step in the Volvo-ization of Mack.

Why they would want to substitute that half a$$ed suspension for the Mack camelback setup is a mystery.

(Oh yeah, it's probly cheaper to manufacture, that's right)

The Mack camelback suspension (in all it's various weight ratings) has been the best all around truck suspension for 60 or more years now, sure is a shame to see it being replaced by the POS ride.

• Like 1

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Thad wrote:

Why they would want to substitute that half a$$ed suspension for the Mack camelback setup is a mystery.

The Mack camelback suspension (in all it's various weight ratings) has been the best all around truck suspension for 60 or more years now, sure is a shame to see it being replaced by the POS ride.

I also wonder how it compares in the suspension weight itself. If it is lighter AND cheaper it could spell trouble for camelback. Plus the smoother ride provided by the rubber cushions could entice buyers too.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

thanks for the pic thad, i thought it might be that T ride junk. boy does that suspension look expensive to rebuild with all those torque rods. I dont think yyou will ever see the elimination of camelback and i dont think any one whos going to buy a mack is going to buy that junk but then again I see some macks specked on hendrikson walking beam (one of the worst in my opinion). Its just anouther option in the catalog i guess

We have two volvos at work with that style suspension and both trucks have come in with broken springs. The one is only a year old and has already broken a spring on one side and the other truck broke all 3 on one side. I do have to say they are nice and easy to change. The 3 springs are somewhere in the neighboorhood of 500 bucks if i can remeber right, when an 11 stack camelback is like 440 dollars in my area so the price isnt far off.

All the new Granites I see hauling coal here have the camelback.....lets face it..it just works and its tougher than heck. I cant imagine how it could be improved on. Only thing I could think of making it better would be to make it easier to change springs..lol.

• 3 weeks later...

M-ride is Volvos T-ride suspension, they just changed the first letter in the name to try to fool us. Its similar to camelback in the sense that its a center point parabolic spring suspension, though its a 6 rod setup. It is a 2 stage type so the springs have rubber cushions on them to make the ride smoother when unloaded. Its similar to the tuf-track from Freightliner. The only thing I don't know yet is if its available with Mack axles or just Rockwell/Dana-Spicer axles.

Here is a pic, you can see the cushion between the springs and the axle:

post-314-1169713194_thumb.jpg

post-314-1169713333_thumb.jpg

HI is this cut out for sale. i tried to e-mail you a couple of days ago

• 1 year later...
Thad wrote:

Amen i cant improve on what was said here but whole heartedly agree 100%

later

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

CamelBack suspension is by far one true performer. It is amazing for me to see MACK TRUCKS with this camelback suspension setup, working on the landfill were the ground is unstable and they do not get stuck. Not the same story for the INTERTRASHIONAL Truck I took to the landfill yesterday.

CamelBack style suspension will keep going if customers, and I mean real people who knows how trucks work and not an accounting manager of the company are in charge of ordering new trucks for the job.

gallery_1677_471_508918.jpg

This is a CAMELBACK Suspension set-up that its on a 2009 MACK GRANITE Truck that our local MACK TRUCKS INC Dealer (M.A Caribbean) put on display at our 2008 DIESEL NATIONALS.

gallery_1677_471_525382.jpg

• 3 months later...

That Volvo suspension is the same as the European Volvo's. I was in Iraq working as a truck driver and we had some of the cabovers. I didn't like them because Volvo did some really dumb things, like the transmisson didn't have any support to help keep it in place. The result was broken clutch housings, (if we were lucky) or the trans would fall completely out.

We also used some Mercedes, they weren't much better, they hard lined the air line from the engine to the frame, just about every 3000 km's the air line from the compressor to the frame would crack. The machanics made some rubber mounts where it met the frame to help absorb the vibration that helped a lot. I think a better solution would have been to use a flexible hose to begin with.

Ok I guess I over stayed my welcome this time.

Good Day all,

Dak49

• 15 years later...

Sorry to revive a super old thread, but I felt I needed to chime in about this suspension now that it has been offered for several years... 

Pretty much all of the criticism of this suspension holds true. The V-Rods (the triangular "torque rods" from frame-to-diff) are notorious for failure to the point two separate TPI's were created to "address" the failures. One is about using bronze races on the V-rods, the other is about using a four bolt pattern setup instead of the standard one bolt, which involves REPLACING THE DIFF HOUSING! Yes, the HOUSING, just reuse the internals of the diff silly! 

We see them a lot on trash trucks, maybe a few dump trucks. Camelback seems to reign supreme for most dumps, concrete mixers, and pumpers in our area. They are probably cheap to install, but they are NOT cheap to repair. Just one V-rod alone costs an average of over $1k! ATRO kits exist for the older models, but the 2020 truck I am creating an estimate for that spurred me to research and post here doesn't have any crosses with any ATRO kits sadly. 

Maybe someone will find some use with my rant/info dump these many years later, or at the very least it entertains someone.