I am going to buy a Mack B-77 with a 335 Cummins mated to a quadraplex trans and it looks like a 5:08 rear end ratio but that may not be a Mack rear end? I will post pictures but I do not have much info on this very rare Mack with serial number B-77LS1004. I would appreciate any comments or info. Mack made 113 units between 1958-64 but I am not sure why they made this model. Would not a B-73 or B-75 do the job? I will call the Mack Museum on Monday AM to see what they have on the truck but I would appreciate any and all comments.

Best regards,

John

I am going to buy a Mack B-77 with a 335 Cummins mated to a quadraplex trans and it looks like a 5:08 rear end ratio but that may not be a Mack rear end? I will post pictures but I do not have much info on this very rare Mack with serial number B-77LS1004. I would appreciate any comments or info. Mack made 113 units between 1958-64 but I am not sure why they made this model. Would not a B-73 or B-75 do the job? I will call the Mack Museum on Monday AM to see what they have on the truck but I would appreciate any and all comments.

Best regards,

John

John,

The B-77 came with either a cummins supercharged or turboed like the 335. Dave Strickland of VA has the finest example of a B-77 with a charger motor. I have one with the early 335 and big 590 turbo. As for the rear ratio that would be a later 50's drop in as I believe 5.77 was the fastest in the early models. I keep thinking that it was 5.13 but maybe there was a 5.08. But if it is a drop in most definetly Mack. It is a single axle? and the serial number would have be believe it was one of the earliest of that model built.

Judging by the way the numbers for the ratio are stamped I would say that the rear axle ratio was changed at some point. It looks to me like the original numbers were crossed out and the new numbers were stamped below. Definitely a Mack rear axle.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

I figure with; 41" diameter tires (22" - 24.5")

5.08 ratio

Quad direct @2100 RPM appx.65 MPH, @1600 RPM 49 MPH

Quad over @2100 RPM appx.82 MPH, @1600 RPM 63 MPH

Either way a good setup.

A cummins will drop RPM's slower than a mack engine this makes for smooth shifting.

FW

John,

Is the engine original??It was always my understanding that the B-77's had the supercharged engine like Dan said,and the B-773's had the 335.

5:08 is a Mack ratio,my '58 B-73 and 'one of my '60 B-61's both have 5:08's.

Please post some pics ASAP,can't wait to see it.

[/qu

Mikr, you got me on that one........ I forgot the 3 meaning turbocharged. I had a G-77 and it had a unique frame modification at the factory so that the charger would sit down in it.

It looks like a treasure chest inside that garage? Why not fix up that LT first?

That is a good question. I am rethinking a few things and I may alter the bid. The LT is a good ole truck-spent most of its years on the pipelines in Washington state. There are 2 winches on the truck and it is powered by a 275 Cummins with a quadraplex and 44,000 rears. As for the B-77, I believe the engine is original and I'll confirm that just as soon as I get the build sheet from the Mack Museum. In any event, I will keep you posted.

• 5 years later...

Well I bought it from a friend of a friend and I when to go a see it and it runs he asked me if I could run a 2stick and I laughed so I took it for a run and it shifted well so I bought it I bought a take of Mack air ride suspension and single axle and this truck is going to pull my travel trailer when it is done I plan to have a really proud looking Mack B77 when I am done but I am finding it hard to find parts for the LJ cab maybe you people can help I don't know how to put pictures on this I am selling the set of drive axles and camel back susp as one piece do you know any one that would like this set

Edited by Red 460
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Red 460 said:

I don't know how to put pictures on

After typing in your text go to the bottom of the reply box and click on "choose files". Go to your picture library, highlight the photo you want and click on open. After it downloads at the bottom click on insert. It is easy just play with it a little.

Brocky

That will be a nice truck I have a B773Ls w/335 turbo cummins but some one but A Rto-9513 roadranger in it I to am new to the site an have already gained a wealth of information on finding parts I will be posting new picture soon on my restoration good luck on that Alsome truck

• Like 1