Why Doesn't Mack Promote The Maxidyne-Maxitorque Drivetrain?

Before I ordered my CXU I had every intention of getting the gold doggy on the hood.   I did a bit of research before my purchase though and from what I found, the Mack transmissions were having some synchro issues and Mack was not standing behind these things.   I'm sure there is much more going on behind the scenes as far as driver abuse, neglect etc......  Regardless, I opted for an Eaton 13 speed.  I owned 2 in my previous trucks and they never missed a beat.   I DID however get the S 38 Mack rears (gotta love the lay down diffs) and they have been great so far!  On a side note....I was at my dealer a few weeks ago and took a stroll around the lot just checking out inventory and set ups and stuff.   My truck was the only one in that parking lot with Mack rear ends. A shame. :(

With the introduction of Volvo's "I-Shift with crawler gears" (aka. mDrive HD) in the North American market product, Volvo will soon discontinue the legacy Maxitorque transmissions. Though volumes are low, they put standard Volvo policy aside for a time until "I-Shift with crawler gears" could be launched. The dealers are the only people that push Maxitorque........Mack brand management doesn't.

In five years, you won't be able to order a manual transmission. In order to meet future emissions and fuel economy targets, the AMT is the only way (amongst current known technology).

I personally prefer the former Mack Truck's signature triple-countershaft transmission design, particularly for vocational/severe service, and remain angered over Volvo terminating the plan of Mack engineers to apply AMT technology to the Maxitorque transmission line-up.

No doubt, all those Mack brand trucks you saw at your dealer with vendor rears also had vendor steer axles.

I think a lot of this trend comes from Volvo's desire to build the cheapest truck possible- It's a lot cheaper to build a transmission with just one countershaft. Same with the axles- cheaper to buy in axles from who knows where rather than build 20,000 or so a year for Mack exclusively. Today's fleet truck buyers aren't helping matters any either, they write a truck off for tax purposes in 5 years or less, and if the Volvos they buy have lousy resale, that's just more depreciation for them to offset taxes on profits with.

On 9/30/2016 at 5:29 AM, TeamsterGrrrl said:

I think a lot of this trend comes from Volvo's desire to build the cheapest truck possible- It's a lot cheaper to build a transmission with just one countershaft. Same with the axles- cheaper to buy in axles from who knows where rather than build 20,000 or so a year for Mack exclusively. Today's fleet truck buyers aren't helping matters any either, they write a truck off for tax purposes in 5 years or less, and if the Volvos they buy have lousy resale, that's just more depreciation for them to offset taxes on profits with.

In some ways I believe  your correct How ever!  the I shift trans seems to be standing up (so far), How ever this is not going to help those of us that still like to have a little control over the driving of the vehicle specially in the vocational market, getting stuck in mud Snow situations and the like where a guy needs to have some manual control of the situation you will now have to call for a tow . have your cell phone set on speed dial for you favorite tow company! Thank the EPA for this one Again  As KS mentioned this is the next Thing to take a hit in the name of emissions!

As for the resale value ALL the manufactures are in the same boat A five year old truck now is at the VERY end of its useful life due to all the emissions  Bolt ons, No one can afford to fix the stuff! Especially The owner opp types! This stuff is Horribly wasteful If you look at the big picture its not very environmentally Friendly at all!    

Save The environment at one end Screw it up at the other end!