What Happened To Pelletier's Titans?

Go to solution Solved by 2010 Titan,

Yeah, NOW that's what i am talking about. 50 tonners with Morgantown style coal bodies & 65 tonners with rock ribs. All with offset cabs. The later units (square hood & fenders) commonly powered by Cummins KTA-450. Earlier versions have rounded fenders, these were usually powered by 12V-71. Direct mount Allison CL(B)T-5960 or 6061 power shifts driving either Rockwell SPRC-1927's or Clark BD-121000.

Great pics.

Richard Mark

Owner / Master Model Maker

Industrial Model Design
Ap40rocktruck

Notice how they run 14' wide with 10' mirrors. I guess in the middle of nowhere, what's behind you doesn't matter.

Trust me, whats in front doesn't count either. Been up there in the woods a few times, they come around a corner on the wrong side and you move or die. There are signs that pretty much say it is their road, pass at your own risk.

They have a good size fleet of Clines at the power plant on rt. 2 north of Parkersburg, W.V. Somebody there must know something, but I don't know who to ask. Don't know if the power plant owns them or they're contractors, they use them to haul something from the plant over across rt.2 to the backside of a hill, can't see any more from the road. Got big bodies on them, and they have a couple of big DMs there too.

clines.jpg

clineimg_1365.jpg

I forgot about the one up on rt2! They haul fly ash with them. Last time i saw them they all looked in great shape. Sorry to get the thread off topic

Cheaply built modern plastic POS Vulva with a sad dog on the hood........................................

ill say it again , we have 2 titans , great trucks one has 60k miles on it no problems hauls over 100k lbs everyday on and off road. best truck weve ever had. i hardly ever come to this site anymore because of people talking trash that dont have a clue of what there talking about,

If we all left because of differing opinions or interest, there would be no one here.

I will never own a Titan because I don't need one and couldn't justify buying one. I am interested in Mack and the Titan is a Mack product. So, hearing about a Titan is interesting to me.

No one else on the forum has one (that I can think of at the moment) so stop in and tell us more about it when you get the chance.

Jim

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

ill say it again , we have 2 titans , great trucks one has 60k miles on it no problems hauls over 100k lbs everyday on and off road. best truck weve ever had. i hardly ever come to this site anymore because of people talking trash that dont have a clue of what there talking about,

After spending part of my life as a service manager for a Mack / Volvo truck dealership, MY opinions are based on servicing the only 2 Titan's, both with the same outfit, both used in heavy haul, both plagued with constant problems. Perhaps if we had more of them to experience, then perhaps MY opinion of the Titan would be better. The sales department tried to sell more to local heavy haulers, but in the end the initial notably higher cost of the Titan platform over a well equipped CH-613 505hp. Aside from the higher cost of the Titan, by the time one (in this application) was quoted, it weighed too much for the wonderful NYS bridge formula.

Good for you that you have 2 & they are working well for you & your application.

These are still MY opinions, based on real world service experience.

Rick

• Like 1

Richard Mark

Owner / Master Model Maker

Industrial Model Design
Ap40rocktruck

i dont mean to be a jerk but im just saying so far so good for our new macks. we were affraid of the new stuff and didnt buy a new truck from 2000 til 2012. the funny thing is we always seem to have good luck with macks. in 97 we bought a CL700 one of the last vmac 2 e7 454 powered trucks it actually was titled as a 98, we were told by many people that the CL'S were junk and the 454 engine was a gutless pig but we bought it anyway and ran the truck for 16 yrs with no big problems and it had as much power as other 450 to 475 hp trucks on the road. but anyway back to the titans maybe we have the only good ones but knock on wood our 2012 has 3000 hrs and 62k miles on it and its only been back to the mack dealer once for door gasket and a problem with the bendix brake sensor. our 2013 is only 3 months old but no problems so far. i know a guy w ith a 2011 western star with a 550 cummins isx that has lost over 100 days to brake downs in 2yrs of ownership sensors all the time and problems with the dpf and def system plus injectors. he is going to sue cummins and western star as he has figured hes lost close to 100k dollars in down time. as far as the extra cost and weight of the titans i think its worth it if your doing heavy loads . we priced a granite with the 505 18spd 46 meritor double lockers and 20k lb front, loaded up interior and it was $ 149k and change a titan with the 555 maxidyne and same other specs as the granite was 160k and change and the weight was only 1000 lbs heavier or so . i just think the engine brake is alot better with the mp10 and if you look at the difference in torque 1760 for the mp8 and 2060 for the mp10 theres a big difference in power as well. the mp10 engine is amazing , id say the most impressive thing is the engine brake theres hills here where we truck that with the E7 we would be in 3rd direct on a 18 speed and still on the brakes to not over rev and withe titan we are in 6th direct and not even touching the brakes with 105k lbs . the power is awesome too. the titans will out pull our E9500 no problem we ran against isx 550s and no problem there ether. if we start running into problems i will post them

Aside from all the Titan issues I hear drummed up for the Pelletier Macks, there were a couple of other issues that seemed to happen around the same time as the Titans were purchased.

Keep in mind that Western Star was already starting to get heavily involved with The Pelletier's in Western Star's Marketing. Western Star's brochures have Pelletier driver "Bone Crusher" posing with his Western Star for promotional shots for Western's logging brochures long before he happily accepted his Titan to drive.(He still drives a Titan for another company and loves the truck!) Being that Maine's 7 brothers with timber in their blood were already having promo photo's using their Star units and having a long standing relations with Star.....I am thinking the ball was rolling from there. Fast forward to the Bangor Maine dealer taking back 2 Star's with problematic CAT engines.....How often do you see dealers doing that so easily?? Correct me if I am wrong but weren't the Macks delivered around this time??? A huge Screw you to Western Star???

After getting the Titan's It was obvious the new Star's the Pelletier's received with DD16 engines were not their specs....Kind of a we love you, come back...(unwanted tool box on drivers side that was later removed to slide the fuel tank up etc..) I figured these trucks were almost gifted to them??? (I hear the latest Star's they took were Cummins powered?)

The thing that clinched it for me was suddenly the Pelletier brothers were on the truck show circuit all expenses paid by Western Star before the Mack's even had a chance to break in. I do agree the drivers beat the snot out of those Titans. Maybe the Macks could have performed better, but these days Money speaks the loudest. Mack blew it on the marketing side of the Pelletiers from what I have been told. Western Star came through with the Dough. I took part in a focus group last week for an unnamed truck manufacturer in Toronto. It turned out it was for the new Highway truck Western is about to unveil. Daimer Benz is dropping some serious coin into Star's marketing these days. The Pelletiers cashed their cheque long ago.

Does this Pelletier sellout theory sound right?

• 4 weeks later...