E Tech E7 427 To E7 460

Waylon

I dont know about mack electronics but cat DD or cummins will show rpm when running on starting fluid. So if yours will not then it may not be picking up the engine cranksensor. I am guessing the tack here is ecm driven.

I just checked it and the tach does show rpm when running on ether

Not to doubt your previous checks, but one of our guys put an E-Tech engine in awhile back and forgot to install all of the ground wires and tighten the ground bolt at the engine block and it did pretty much the same thing. Sometimes it would smoke a little and act like it was going to start but just wouldn't quite make it. The lights in the dash would light up like everything was powering up.

There is a 16mm bolt on the left side of the block, about 8-10 inches in front of the flywheel housing, just above the oil pan. It should have 5 wires/cables attached to it, one from the frame, one from the engine power harness, and three from the EECU

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

You can check the voltage drop across the EUPs while cranking the engine. With your DMM set to measure AC voltage it should show .12 volts, set to measure DC voltage it should read .016 volts. This will tell you if your EECU is sending power out to the EUP solenoids. Another thing is that the engine has to be turning at least 150-200 rpm steadily before it will start.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

Thanks alot for the help guys. I'm gonna check them ground wires(for about the 15th time). I did check the EUP's at one point and I think they were reading 3.5v while the engine was spinning over but I will check them again to make sure. I think that the starter is pretty much screwed from trying to start it so much but it still seems to be spinning over good still. I'll try running a can of ether through it. (I'm at the point now after messing with it for almost a week)that I don't care. If it blows I'll yank it out and put a mechanical engine in it.

• 6 years later...