'81 Ms 200

Willeye

New to the site,just got this truck. My Grandpa got it back in the early 90s and used it to haul hay on his farm. Prior to that it had a box bed and was used by JC Penney's. Grandpa put the flat dump bed on it. Od only shows 82000 miles. Still has JC Penney's logos on the doors.

It's been off the road for a few years due to brake problems. I spent the last few months getting it going, replaced master cylinder, tires, batteries and rebuilt the starter. I plan to use it for hauling cars. Going to extend the bed a few feet, so it will touch the ground without dumping too high. Also adding a winch to the front of the bed.

The bad part is my Grandpa passed away the day before I was able to take it for a test drive. Just drove it home this week, about 200 miles. Furtherest it's been in 3-5 yrs.

post-6842-0-76596400-1294610307_thumb.jp

post-6842-0-21270400-1294610349_thumb.jp

post-6842-0-24541800-1294610375_thumb.jp

I had a couple of those Midliners. Good trucks till they started needing parts then very expensive. The hydraulic brakes on the 200 series were VERY expensive to replace parts on.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

• 10 years later...

https://www.truckid.com/mack-midliner-series-accessories-parts/....France... (Renault).. Heck it was hard to get parts when I worked on them more than 15 years ago. They are good trucks, just pricey.  I will keep looking. My local dealer still has books on them. Is yours an MS-200P? Jojo

It has drum brakes, right?  I bet if the shoe backing plate is re-useable, a local brake re-man shop can re-line them.  there are a few places here in the Charlotte area that do it. The wheel cylinders, may be re-buildable too. I just recently had to re-build 2 on a 65 D-500. I was able to hone the cylinders and find a build kit with the correct diameter rubber cups. I was able to save the springs and pistons... They worked and didnt leak when I was done. No guess how long they will live, but it was my only option at the time.  I assume you checked E-Bay?  jojo

• Like 1

Ebay is the place to start, ever person in America that has one of these that comes on the forum gets the same dribble about parts not been obtainable, yet if we just punch in the make model etc the parts are almost always right there on ebay 

Or as Joey has said, get the shoes relined and wheel cylinders re-done with a stainless steel sleeve and their will never be a problem again 

You will need to find a parts place were the first question asked isn't "whats the vin number" as I doubt you will get a kit over the counter, they will need to measure the bore, the people that stainless sleeve them will be able to do all of that any way

And the prices have never been crazy dear type of thing if you bring them in from Europe yourself

Good luck

Paul 

Edited by mrsmackpaul

Paul, you make good points.. re-sleeveing the cylinders is a good idea.  As I said.... I honed the cylinders, However on this truck that I believe you have to pull the hub off the spindle,,,,,, I would get the machine shop work done. and then, if you (drive) it right..., it should last many years.. You're thought's Paul?... jojo

People find that once a stainless sleeve is fitted you never have another problem 

This only applies to vehicle's that aren't driven often

Wheel cylinders get rust in them and the seals dont last long after that 

If it was mine I would go all the way and fix what ever had to be fixed and if it was looked after it would probably out last me 

While its apart I would check king pins the lot and just fix it once 

Paul

• Like 1

Good point again Paul....  20 years ago, I worked on a few of them, MS 200's and 300's, and a bunch of CS model's too, and I thought they were neat trucks, and they ran and drove good too. "M" can have a good truck, if it's not too far gone..  I did see some parts on E-Bay. Most were for the 300P. Are there a lot of parts in Australia?.... We used to order from Renault in France, here in the States.. jojo