04 Granite Kingpin Problems

I have a customer with 3, 04 Granites hauling logs. These trucks have been pretty good except for kingpin problems. One has had 2 sets in less than 175K miles, another has 163K and the thrust bearing has disentigrated again. When this happens, the axle and spindle make contact and it is hard to steer. The trucks get greased every 5K so this should not be the problem. The local dealer has no clue as to what is going on. Has anyone else had these sort of problems? Have talked to a few other local owners who have similar problems. :idunno:

Jeff

1971 Mack R600 Toterhome "Superdawg"

living the life of leisure pulling

1999 NuWa Snowbird 34+2 SE102 "Dawghouse"

Sounds to me like they aren't getting enough grease. If they are pulling logs they are most likely in the mud and dust alot. I could see if they were road tractors that 5k for greasing would be ok, but severe duty in my opinion requires more greasing. I grease every other day on my dump truck. are they putting enough grease in, I always grease until i see new coming out, unless it is a tie rod or something with a seal on it, then just enough to see the cup start to swell. Grease is the cheapest form of preventive maint. Just my 2 cents. greg

These trucks don't see a lot of mud and water, they have enough road building equipment to see to that. The front axle is always jacked up to grease kingpins, and they are greased until fresh grease comes out. The service interval varies depending on distance to different mills, but usually every 2 weeks for greasing. My point is, they are also running 2 older CH models with over 500K on them and have never had to replace kingpins.

Jeff

I've always greased all my stuff every 5 working days.

Mileage doesn't mean anything on a dump truck, there's been times a truck could go 2 months without getting 5000 miles on it, if it's on site work or a short haul.

I change oil & filters every 300 engine hours also for the same reason.

"Grease is cheaper than parts & it's a lot easier to install"

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

My 1998 Western Star gets greased every Sunday,have never had a bushing or pin problem.

Whats the axle rating and working load on these fronts, might be overloaded?. Also, i once came across a front spring pin wear problem that related back to the type of grease we were using, we went from a dark graphite type grease {Sheaffer's}to a red high temp type{Kendall} and never had the pins wear that bad again. Good Luck, :thumb: E.S.D.

I was always taught to grease and adjust brakes once a week. When I was a kid that was what I did every Saturday morning. I can't imagine letting them go 5 K between greasing. I get a kick out of it when I see fleet mechanics standing around. When I ask why, they say nothing needs to be done. Maybe it's just me, but I was taught by a tough old timer. You never stand around, you grab any piece of equipment in the yard, grease it, adjust the brakes, check the lights, look for air leaks, check that no hoses are rubbing, and,,,,,,,,,,,,, so on and so on,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

It sure is amazing at how many people think that 1 or 2 pumps with the grease gun once a month is plenty. GREASE IS CHEAPEST FORM OF MAINTAINENCE ,thats what I was always taught . I worked for a construction co. a couple of years ago and the guy was horible on p.m. I got on the job one day, started machine , and started greasing it. He pulled in and had a bird that the machine wasn't working, said it didn't need greasing, after that i never greased it again. I quit there not long after and started my own co.

I agree that grease is the best form of PM that can be done. I guess I should have stated that the main problem with these kingpins really hasn't been wear to the pins or bushings, but the thrust bearings have disentigrated. When this happens, the axle and spindle make contact and make steering rather difficult.

Jeff

I agree that grease is the best form of PM that can be done. I guess I should have stated that the main problem with these kingpins really hasn't been wear to the pins or bushings, but the thrust bearings have disentigrated. When this happens, the axle and spindle make contact and make steering rather difficult.

Jeff

It sounds like there is a weight problem to me I haVE seen those bearings worn out but not broken like you say

glenn akers

I Too was taught by my granddad when i was growing up round the business "that grease is cheaper than pins" (1 of his wellknown quotes to his emploeyes & co workers) his equipment didnt run for the day til they 1st got greased & filled w/ fuel this was his policy & darn good i think

A tube of grease on a peice of farm & construction equipment 1 a day goes a long way & same holds true to greasing a truck once a week this was his policy on his trucks & equipment & 1 still belive it it is a proven fact . grease is a cheap P.M.

Later

Bulldog (aka mack1:)

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

• 2 months later...