1946 Mack 45 Fire Engine

fireterp14

I have the opportunity to purchase a 1946 Mack 45 Fire Engine. From the pictures it appears to be in pretty good condition. The owner reports that he last ran the engine on it two years ago, it has been stored indoors ever since, he is not sure if the pump works on it. I do not know very much about 1946 Mack 45 Fire Engines so I'm hoping someone on here has lots of information for me. The owner says that Mack only made a small number of these type so therefore it is rare and worth more, I would definitely like to know if thats true or not. He is also looking to get $6000 for it at the very minimum. Wondering if anyone thinks thats a decent price for it or significantly too high. Thanks for the help, looking forward to seeing some responses.

post-6191-127535400778_thumb.jpg

post-6191-127535401847_thumb.jpg

post-6191-127535403233_thumb.jpg

I have the opportunity to purchase a 1946 Mack 45 Fire Engine. From the pictures it appears to be in pretty good condition. The owner reports that he last ran the engine on it two years ago, it has been stored indoors ever since, he is not sure if the pump works on it. I do not know very much about 1946 Mack 45 Fire Engines so I'm hoping someone on here has lots of information for me. The owner says that Mack only made a small number of these type so therefore it is rare and worth more, I would definitely like to know if thats true or not. He is also looking to get $6000 for it at the very minimum. Wondering if anyone thinks thats a decent price for it or significantly too high. Thanks for the help, looking forward to seeing some responses.

I saw the rig on Ebay, I don't think It's that rare of a truck. I have a 1941 Model 505 which is also a 500gpm pumper. As for the price that is up to ones liking, looking at the pics you may bring the paint back to life, but he is not sure of the pump. To me $6 big ones is tops as she stands. That's my two cents.

Good Luck, Ray

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmmm. Looks like a type 45 Mack Triple Combination, possibly built at Mack, New York, New York. I suspect a Hale ZL-25 500 gpm pump, also a Continental EN-300 or EN-330 6 cylinder gas engine. 5 speed (creep, 1,2,3,4 +R), 750 x 20 tires. Looks like its got a very small booster tank, maybe 50 - 100 gals. just under the (black) booster reel. Bet the booster hose is garden hose thread, too. Nice rear step (red) booster reel.

Picture looks like it hasn't been changed drastically from factory issue. No chrome, since it was the 'war years'. The ladder hangers are dark/light brass if you scrape the paint off. Siren is also brass, 6 volt, type 20(?). One rearview mirror, original 'lollipop' style.

Should also be 6 volt positive ground system unless it has been changed over.

It's not that rare, there are quite a few still around. The price seems high (to me) unless it runs, doesn't blow smoke, tranny works as does the pump, and the tires are all good. I bought mine in 1977 for under $2K, but it started, ran, pumped water thru 3 lengths of hard suction, and came with ladders, extra stuff (extinguishers, some hose and nozzles) and 3 sections of hard suction. We drove it 50 miles home. But that was back in '77.

If it doesn't have a 'good' title, it might be hard to get registered, depending on what state you're in.

If the engine needs work, parts are available, some quite expensive. I had an EN-330 engine rebuilt 25 years ago for $2500 because the bearing babbit was coming out into the oil. I re-did the clutch and resurfaced the flywheel a couple years ago for around $700. Water pump rebuld ran $400 in '07. A new pump was quoted at $700. Not cheap. Prices didn't include my removal/install labor/time.

Then I had to make a place to work on it and to store it.

It should weight in somewhere around 14K pounds gross vehicle weight. Mine is 12,800 with half a load of hose and no water. I can carry about 750 gal. water. It might be built on a Mack EG chassis. Could be EF, also.

Instruction books are still available, too. The Mack Museum might have info on it if the manufacture's plate is still bolted to the support under the passenger's seat. Style number should look like 45-S-XXXX.

Keep in mind that restored trucks this vintage are being appraised high, but aren't selling for much, if they are selling at all. Check eBay and other truck sales sources for ideas.

The 4 inch suction inlet under the front bumper is interesting, and odd. I'd say that the truck was a 'city' truck compared to a 'rural' truck that had to carry its own water supply in a larger tank in the hose bed.

Like the AC on the dash.

Here's a pic of my 1947 Fire Rescue Model 45.

Paid MUCH less but had to haul it about 800 miles home.

Still had less then $3,000.00 in it.

I'm thinking that I've got a bit of a rare truck.

Sold a 1943 Dodge pumper for $3,500.00 and thought it was a good deal both ways.

There's a nickles' worth!!!

Packer

post-64-063738800 1276832619_thumb.jpg

Keep a clutchin'

Looks like the mack will need some work, I think the price is high for the condition of the truck and looks like you will have to put some money into it,(and time). I bought a 47 mack LS 85 in 2008 for 10k and it was in good condition except for the brakes, sold it after a year and now have a 54 mack LS85 that we a working on.good luck