The First Truck I Ever Drove

vision386

Vision 386

Great story, I remember those Old Hess tankers running up and down the NJ Turnpike and route 130 hitting all the Hess Stations- and I had one of those B model Hess tankers when I was kid! Glad to hear that your work on that truck made it worthwhile and got to learn on it and best of all it is still around, but the current owners should let you buy it (first) when they finally are ready to let it go!

Firemack

Vision 386

Great story, I remember those Old Hess tankers running up and down the NJ Turnpike and route 130 hitting all the Hess Stations- and I had one of those B model Hess tankers when I was kid! Glad to hear that your work on that truck made it worthwhile and got to learn on it and best of all it is still around, but the current owners should let you buy it (first) when they finally are ready to let it go!

Firemack

Thanks for the kind words! yeah i hope when/if they do decide to sell they'll give me first crack at it, i'd sure like to bring it home, these single axle b-models are getting harder to find everyday!....mark

• Like 1

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Mark, It's gotta be a Jersey thing cause when I was a kid I always had trouble backin up the tractor's when when hooked up to the trailer's !! Sooo one very hot saturday in June When I was about 15 or so ? My dad takes me over to one of his customers up here in Harrison, were he was workin on a truck. Ok this guy just had his yard paved & striped and my dad hands me the keys to an old A.P.A. Brockway 358 no power nothin !! He says to me "Go around the back and pull all those trailer's up front and spot em between the lines" Now I don't remember just how many there were ?? But it was less then 100 but more then 50 !! When I read stories like yours it brings back very fond memories of my dad and how old school learning was instilled in us. He's gone now but his legacy lives on BULLHUSK

• Like 1

BULLHUSK, think you're right must be a jersey thing! i was thinking about what you said,and i thought you'd get a kick outta' this.....i know its a 359,but thought it might bring back some good memories!........mark

post-5836-127437939712_thumb.jpg

Mark, It was A 359 musta hit the wrong # That is the truck ! The guy who owned them was Izzy Spiegel he bought a bunch from A.P.A. in No. Bergen. They had 250 Cummins, 10 sp. r/r and the biggggeeessssttttt dam single axle rear I have ever seen !! And boy he ran those Brock's for many many years they where real good truck's BULLHUSK

Your B looks just like mine, same year also. Bet you dont know the serial num. do you? I wonder how close they were in production.

No, don't know the serial# but sure i can find it out,i'm still in contact with the guy that bought the truck, he has a few macks that he "tinkers" with. I'll see what i can find out......mark

Mark, It was A 359 musta hit the wrong # That is the truck ! The guy who owned them was Izzy Spiegel he bought a bunch from A.P.A. in No. Bergen. They had 250 Cummins, 10 sp. r/r and the biggggeeessssttttt dam single axle rear I have ever seen !! And boy he ran those Brock's for many many years they where real good truck's BULLHUSK

Thought you'd like that! my uncle was apa's dock forman down in philly (aramingo ave.) for many years,the guy that drove this truck was the posterboy for apa! used to wear a tie,old time drivers hat and all! this truck was his baby! I'm right there with you,these were GREAT trucks. Just like you remembered, this was a 250 cummins,10 spd.road ranger. this particular truck did a shuttle from allentown to philly twice a day. i got to hang around there quite a bit when i was a kid....mark

BULLHUSK,Talking about those 359 brockways, i used to run from south jersey up to binghampton,NY every night with a load of apples to a packing plant there,bring a load of empty boxes or glass bottles back. Just about every night 2 or 3 of these defazio trucks would pass me on the northeast extension or I-81 cummins just screamin'!...mark

post-5836-127446368743_thumb.jpg

Hey ernie,do you remember A and D service in carlstadt? they had a whole bunch of maroon and yellow B-model tow trucks, i was by their shop on 17 the other day,nothings there anymore did they move,or out of business?........mark

I was just curious,i stopped by there one day when i was bobtail, they showed me around,real nice guys! they put a lot of time and effort into these B-models and they worked the piss outta' them too!.....mark

post-5836-12745416452_thumb.jpg

post-5836-127454165585_thumb.jpg

Wow,lots of good lookin' Macks and Brockways here! Looks like you did a fine job on the B-61 too.

I took a load from Enterprise, Al. up to Lakehurst N.J. earlier this week.

Thanks for the good words! i lived about 50 miles south of lakehurst,down in south jersey about 26 miles east of the delaware memorial bridge right off U.S.40, little town called elmer up until about 2 years ago when we moved to virginia.......mark

How about this one? my uncle had quite a bit of APA "stuff" i managed to save some of it after he passed away, this was one of his photos, according to the info this is a 1954 260 series,taken in 1964 at wheatsheaf lane in philly at APA's old shop........mark

post-5836-127479001554_thumb.jpg

I would like to see some pictures of other APA trucks that anyone else has,they ran predominately macks and brockways so i'm sure other members have some photos they'd like to share. A lot of my family (including myself) worked for them,and strangely enough i never took a picture of the MB-400 that i drove.......mark

Mark, A.P.A. had 10 Brockway day cabovers leased to Liquid Carbonic in Harrison N.J back in the late 60's. These truck's where BU T FULL they had the deepest & loudest sounding sounding 318 detroit's I have ever heard!! Do any of you guy's remember them?? They where blue & white & pulled Liquid Oxygen, Hyg.& Nit. tanker's BULLHUSK

Mark, A.P.A. had 10 Brockway day cabovers leased to Liquid Carbonic in Harrison N.J back in the late 60's. These truck's where BU T FULL they had the deepest & loudest sounding sounding 318 detroit's I have ever heard!! Do any of you guy's remember them?? They where blue & white & pulled Liquid Oxygen, Hyg.& Nit. tanker's BULLHUSK

Hey BULLHUSK were these the ones that were red.white and blue with stars? seems i remember some type trucks like that,might not be these, i do remember seeing some trucks painted like that at the tonelle ave.terminal and at the old jersey city truckstop. Might have been them i do remember they were detroit powered cant mistake the sound of a 318!......mark

We did have one brockway,it was a 361,cummins powered,with a 10 spd.road-ranger,we bought it from puritan oil co.in bellmawr,NJ..they were in the process of upgrading to new R-models at the time.I only drove this a few times,as my dad ran it back and forth to NYC 6 nights a week,till the trips got longer and further away he needed a sleeper,so we ended up with a used F-model,but thats a whole nother story!....mark

post-5836-12751857029_thumb.jpg

• 5 years later...
On May 22, 2010 at 11:21 AM, vision386 said:

I was just curious,i stopped by there one day when i was bobtail, they showed me around,real nice guys! they put a lot of time and effort into these B-models and they worked the piss outta' them too!.....mark

Scan a n d mack.jpg

Scan a n d mack 2.jpg

Did A-n-D own some Mack B81 dump trucks some years ago?

• Like 1