My F

Terry T

I don't know quite as much about the history of my F model as I do my B model. I do know that it was built for Geiger Brothers Inc of Pandora, OH and "Placed" by Lima (OH) Mack Sales on 12/11/1969. It is an F795LST originally built with an END865 and a 5 speed. The second owner, Dan Rodiger swapped in an ENDT711 and tri-plex. I have know Dan for a number of years as he use to have a large fleet of R models that he ran (still runs a few trucks today) out of his home on US 33 just east of Wapakoneta, OH. Dan sold this truck to another party who had yet another person backing him. Unfortunately for these two their deal went sour. It was after this point that I discovered my F quite by chance. I was called to hook a KW from the Ft Wayne truck plaza and tow it to a shop near St. Joe, IN. After dropping the KW I made small talk with the shop owner and eventually got around to the old Mack setting in the corner under a trailer. I said some day after my B and after I do an R, I would like to restore or have an F model. He said "there's your F Model", I said yea, like that one, he said no, "that is your F, take it, get it out of here, but you have to take this Marmon over here too!". I hooked the F, and brought it home. I went back, got the Marmon and scraped it (nothing more than a busted up shell with engine parts scattered throughout). Any time I want to start the F all I have to do is put the battery charger on it for about 45 minutes and she will take off on less than a full revalution. Currently it is setting on the back burner waiting for me to get the B done, but it does run very well, just doesn't stop so good as only the brakes on one wheel work.

• 3 years later...

Nice Story Terry. The first tractor I drove was an F Mack. A friend of mine worked for an International Harvestor Tractor dealer and drove down to Harrisburg, PA to pick up tractors every week. One day he was moving a machine locally and asked if I wanted to drive. I drove about 15 miles on a country road in a five speed. About 8 years ago I decided to get into excavating and hauling. I spotted my 78 Mack F series for sale on a lot and when I went back it disappeared. I wound up buying an old Brockway tractor and trailer. The day I was going to pick it up, the Mack was back on the lot. I wound up buying it from the owner and have been working the truck since. I guess since it was the first truck I drove, I never thought I would ever own one. Even though I don't use it much anymore, I can't part with it. It originally was a tractor used by a construction company in New Jersey to move heavy equipment. They were the original owner and their name is still on the horn button. Scrimo Bros. is the inscription. I bought the truck with 130,000 original miles and I have close to 160,000 on it now. It has a Cummins 290 with a 13 speed. High rears don't give me much highway speed but it will still pull a montain.

Guy's those were good stories and i'm always glad to hear the trucks going to good homes. I got my build sheets from the Mack Museum when it was built and where it was sent. But I ran into a wall with any further info. Neely Coble Mack in Nashville said they threw away the old files when they changed over to a FreightLiner/Volvo Dealer, just my luck. I wish that these truck people in my area would come out of the woodwork and be known.

Good Luck with your trucks!

mike

Sometimes Mike, that's the problem. I deal with Triple Cities Mack in Scranton, PA. One time I went in to order a part and they told me that MAck did not have information that old on computer. Funny thing though is when my mechanic calls them and orders parts for my truck and gives my VIN number they always are able to look it up. Sometimes it's just finding that right person that loves these old timers as much as we do to go that extra mile. No pun intended. One thing Mike, the sales rep at my local Mack dealer was formerly the service manager. He has been with them for years. He is the type of guy that the first day I pulled in with the truck, he knew everything about it. What engine, trans rears, etc. Even though the truck came in from Jersey originally, he is the type of guy that knows every Mack in the area. You want to find one of those who even if they were not around when your truck came in, knows someone who was.

Edited by cheech147

I don't know quite as much about the history of my F model as I do my B model. I do know that it was built for Geiger Brothers Inc of Pandora, OH and "Placed" by Lima (OH) Mack Sales on 12/11/1969. It is an F795LST originally built with an END865 and a 5 speed. The second owner, Dan Rodiger swapped in an ENDT711 and tri-plex. I have know Dan for a number of years as he use to have a large fleet of R models that he ran (still runs a few trucks today) out of his home on US 33 just east of Wapakoneta, OH. Dan sold this truck to another party who had yet another person backing him. Unfortunately for these two their deal went sour. It was after this point that I discovered my F quite by chance. I was called to hook a KW from the Ft Wayne truck plaza and tow it to a shop near St. Joe, IN. After dropping the KW I made small talk with the shop owner and eventually got around to the old Mack setting in the corner under a trailer. I said some day after my B and after I do an R, I would like to restore or have an F model. He said "there's your F Model", I said yea, like that one, he said no, "that is your F, take it, get it out of here, but you have to take this Marmon over here too!". I hooked the F, and brought it home. I went back, got the Marmon and scraped it (nothing more than a busted up shell with engine parts scattered throughout). Any time I want to start the F all I have to do is put the battery charger on it for about 45 minutes and she will take off on less than a full revalution. Currently it is setting on the back burner waiting for me to get the B done, but it does run very well, just doesn't stop so good as only the brakes on one wheel work.

It's quite possible i've seen that truck at some point in time. In the early '80s we'd run 33 and 30 to Chicago all the time. Stopped at the Fort Meyers truckstop in Fort Wayne once in a while, but we used to get fuel at the 76 Truckstop in Wapakoneta every trip. Then they invented the AA Highway and we didn't run that way as much, now I haven't been to Chicago for several years. There was a dump truck fleet of all R-models at Wanatah too, but I can't remember the name.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

It's quite possible i've seen that truck at some point in time. In the early '80s we'd run 33 and 30 to Chicago all the time. Stopped at the Fort Meyers truckstop in Fort Wayne once in a while, but we used to get fuel at the 76 Truckstop in Wapakoneta every trip. Then they invented the AA Highway and we didn't run that way as much, now I haven't been to Chicago for several years. There was a dump truck fleet of all R-models at Wanatah too, but I can't remember the name.

Name......what name.....remember.....remember what. :blink:

mike :D

Cheech147. I see you are from Scranton. I am from lake Ariel near you. What name do you use for your excavating company? i run a Maroon western Star Tri-axle Dump for Slusser Bros. Pennsy Supply. It has Ditchkus Trucking on door. We have a good local Chapter of ATCA in Scranton meets at L.A. lewis Warehouse every 2 months, also we started a new Chaptwer of ATHS meets in Honesdale almost every month. If you are interested about coming to a meeting let me know on this board? Joe Ditchkus.

I know, it's...uh....shoot, never mind-it'll probably come to me later.

Let me help you out with the memory thing: You can't pull a "hard on", or get it up any longer. Is further clarification, or explanation needed?

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Let me help you out with the memory thing: You can't pull a "hard on", or get it up any longer. Is further clarification, or explanation needed?

Rob

my unit still gets so hard the cat couldn't scratch it now...but I realize that if I get to yours and Mike's age it might not get hard if I put it in the deep freeze.

...that's funny right there! :banana:

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

my unit still gets so hard the cat couldn't scratch it now...but I realize that if I get to yours and Mike's age it might not get hard if I put it in the deep freeze.

...that's funny right there! banana.gif

Just remember the "heat of the meat" and "angle of the dangle" being of inverse proportionality to each other.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

...that's funny right there! :banana:

LOL....I was always told to put mine in the freezer first so it would turn into a popsicle.....and I know everybody likes popsicles.

mike :thumb:

LOL....I was always told to put mine in the freezer first so it would turn into a popsicle.....and I know everybody likes popsicles.

mike thumb.gif

Better spit it out before you choke.

Rob

Now that funny but i cant understand what you guys are talking about.Maybe i am slow.but some one at work last week said something about it takes him all night to do what he used to do all night.Maybe thats what your talking about.

Just alot of BS Glenn...that's all...just clowning and not making alot of sense. Has something to do about the sun going down I guess.

mike

Rob,.....ya can't get an antenna inside of a refrigerator...won't fit.

mike

A "whip" antenna bends in the middle.

Rob

Well "new" Fortmeyers (at US30,US33,I-69)has been called the Fort Wayne Travel Plaza for years now & "old" Fortmeyers (at US33 & Washington Center Road) was leveled & turned into a small fuel stop. There is a real good chance that you have seen my truck setting in Dan's yard just East of Wapak on the east side of St John's OH north side of the road up on the hill. Dan had a many R Macks, a few F's & a Superliner. Last I knew he also still had one H but it is in pretty rough shape & 2 building full of Mack parts.