My First Dog

Lmackattack

Story about finding the familys first dog.

My dad bought a used 78' R685ST back in 1978 to haul freight around Chicago Wisconsin and Indiana. It was a standard Chicago speced Mack. 186" WB, 283 Hp tipturbine. 5 speed. 3.86 rears. He was in a partner ship with his brother that owned a trucking company in Lyons IL near I-294 and I-55. He would pick me up from home if he had a short run and we would spend some quality time in the old R model. I was 5 at the time and can remember being able to curl up under the passenger seat for a nap when waiting to get loaded. One winter night dad and where picking up in the city, The truck was backed in an ally dock left running as dad and I waited inside for the paperwork and the full load. When we came out to the truck dad helped me into the jump seat. He walked back around to his door but something cought his ear, He heard a squeek or something. thinking it was a slipping belt or something he opened the hood he stepped between the tire and engine looking for a problem. as he looked around he saw a pup lying under the engine trying to keep warm. The dog wouldent get up or move. thinking its hurt or possibe that we ran over it when backing up. he decided to pull the truck foward to get better access to it. When he picked the dog up it had its belly and chin frozen to the pavement. He managend to free him and put it in the cab with us. On our way back to the rail yard the dog, cold and scared thought the best place to hide was under dads air seat. I remember dad pulling the truck over a few times trying to get the dog away from the seat worried that he would get cought in the sissor of the chair. We took the dog home and had him checked out the next morning. all was ok so we decided to keep him. We named him Buck shot, dads CB handel. Our dog stayed with us untill he died about 10 years ago, still with the pink spot on his chin and belly form when we found him frozen under the old R model. This is one of my most fond memories of dads R model. It was the first truck I rode in and how I became to love these old Mack trucks. :SMOKIE-LFT: