Engine Oil Change

Johnboy

I recently changed oil in my B61T with a 673 engine my problem is that I have very little oil pressure since I changed oil I also changed the filter canister in the lubrifiner do I have to put oil into the lubrifiner also my manuals list a oil capasity for the engine and also capasity for the lubrifiner I know I;m missing something

any info would be appreciated.

Thanks JohnBoy :SMOKIE-LFT:

John

The oil capacity for the engine and the filter need to be added together. If you remove the plug from the top of the filter housing you can prefill the filter somewhat. Depending on how much you get into the filter if there is only a few quarts left to it's capacity you could put it in the engine. Once the engine and filter have oil in them start the engine and let it idle. Loosen the plug on the filter and let the air out. Once air is out shut down engine and recheck oil level. That is how I was shown to do it if I'm wrong someone correct me. But I been taking care of my trucks that way.

Chuck

• Like 1

John Boy, If your oil pressure was good before the oil change and now drops off make sure you have the correct filter. I once had a "bypass and full flow" filter problem in our shop and it turned out that some filters look identical but do not work the same. Just a thought for your problem

E.S.D. :thumb:

I recently changed oil in my B61T with a 673 engine my problem is that I have very little oil pressure since I changed oil I also changed the filter canister in the lubrifiner do I have to put oil into the lubrifiner also my manuals list a oil capasity for the engine and also capasity for the lubrifiner I know I;m missing something

any info would be appreciated.

Thanks JohnBoy :SMOKIE-LFT:

To start with a centrifugal filter is a wonderful thing-never had no touble just make sure they are turned the right way-oil and air seem to to be somewhat mischible so you dont have to worry about bleeding the filter in my opinion anyway.I never bled one- but I always generally serviced Maxidynes,I usually put 32 qts of oil in a standard 300 with centifugal filter and 2 oil filters- Right in the ballpark usually on the other hand the tip turbine engine out of the F-model holds 15 gals + 3 oil filters, no luberefiner-I dont believe the centrifugal filter would affect the oil pressure on the newer engines it seems to just get some bypass oil anyway- Kevin

I usually put 3 gal in the filter housing and 3 in the pan. Been that way for 5 yrs now. I tried "bleeding" the filter once to see if that made any difference in start up. Not really. Mine usually takes about 7-10 secs to read any oil pressure on intial start up(after a weeks time).

You should have 60 cold idle, around 20 hot idle, and 50-60 running down the road.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"