Egr Opinions

Its been my observation that the puter don't care about the egr valve position! It looks for the target if it don't see the value it simply opens the valve more!

If the egr cooler is pluged what code do you see?? I have had egr valves fail with no codes!!!I ve seen pluged egr coolers no codes! you can hear they arent working right.

I was thinking the same about the plate we have several trucks I got in mind for this! If the flow is not there it simply opens the egr valve in turn it doesnt let the turbo spool but if there is a plate there like I said before, theres no place to go but out!!!!????

I think it would surley set a 4-9 FMI7 code. Service bulletin SB214037 talks about this. It would be fun to try and see though.

Well Im going to find out ! I'll race ya! :)

Well I can see, there will be 2 Mack dealers in North America getting nothing done tomorrow but playing with a EGR plate :lol::lol::lol:

gallery_133_137_10125.jpg

Thanks for hearing me out.

You can have the soap box now---------JIM

I was in luck as I had to change out a Mass Flow sensor/tube today on a 05 CXN, was not under warranty so I kept the old sensor/ecm. Hopefully tomorrow I will get to start playing with the mass flow ECM and making a EGR valve block off plate. Had 4 MRU's come in today with DPF problems so tommorrow will be busy.

I was in luck as I had to change out a Mass Flow sensor/tube today on a 05 CXN, was not under warranty so I kept the old sensor/ecm. Hopefully tomorrow I will get to start playing with the mass flow ECM and making a EGR valve block off plate. Had 4 MRU's come in today with DPF problems so tommorrow will be busy.

FJH, went back to the garage tonight so he going to have a few hours on you :rolleyes:

gallery_133_137_10125.jpg

Thanks for hearing me out.

You can have the soap box now---------JIM

Starting to snow here so he might have more than a day head start. Might stay at home and play with my kids in the snow!

Can't spend too much time with the kids when they're young.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

FJH, went back to the garage tonight so he going to have a few hours on you rolleyes.gif

Naw I'll be, awhile doin this, got to pick the time !As for the ecm I m going to gamble on the no change needed aproach.

ive been off for a few weeks had my hand fixed couple of weeks to go.

jerryb has been running his o4 for a while, 100,000 since egr mod. i dont know if he bought it new, but it has over 500,000 on it now (not many 04 whith over 350 on them,except the ones setting for sale)

im going to put the plate on mine as soon as i get in from this trip. with only 330 on mine ill be following his lead like a scared puppy. (we are stuck with these things, seems like every one but me knows about their problems)

gotta look at the bright side once the word gets around to every body they wont be able to sell them and there will be a lot of nice low millage used parts for us.

I dont know what i would do without this site. i get helpfull information,people who will listen to me bitch,and understand what im bitching about, a lot of laugh's along the way,and its open 24/7. thanks everyone!

I dont know what i would do without this site. i get helpfull information,people who will listen to me bitch,and understand what im bitching about, a lot of laugh's along the way,and its open 24/7. thanks everyone!

aint that the truth brother. Nope I bought mine used with just shy of 200,000 on it from an "honest" friend. He said he never had any trouble with it. I sure hope St Peter is in a good mood when he gets there and tries to explain lying to me about that.

If the Mack engine was worth a flip this is a dream truck. It runs like a champ when it's running and rides-drives like a Cadillac. I'm giving serious consideration to putting a mechanical 427 in mine or else a 60 series detroit.

I have a 97 CH613 that I put 875,000 miles with only one waterpump and one transmission rebuild so this 04 is a huge disappointment. I have a driver on the 97 who never misses a trip, and wish I could say that.

I couldn't agree more!

aint that the truth brother. Nope I bought mine used with just shy of 200,000 on it from an "honest" friend. He said he never had any trouble with it. I sure hope St Peter is in a good mood when he gets there and tries to explain lying to me about that.

If the Mack engine was worth a flip this is a dream truck. It runs like a champ when it's running and rides-drives like a Cadillac. I'm giving serious consideration to putting a mechanical 427 in mine or else a 60 series detroit.

I have a 97 CH613 that I put 875,000 miles with only one waterpump and one transmission rebuild so this 04 is a huge disappointment. I have a driver on the 97 who never misses a trip, and wish I could say that.

You should put the driver on your truck !Then you can blame him for everything,:) It will make ya feel better.

Off subject!

No falt codes with the egr plug Jerry correct ?

You should put the driver on your truck !Then you can blame him for everything,:) It will make ya feel better.

Off subject!

No falt codes with the egr plug Jerry correct ?

That's correct fjr there's no code present. lol I've thought about putting Jim on the new truck but I don't have anything against the man.

i put several 100,000 miles on a 97 ch 330/380 light truck grossing 125,000 gvw plus pulling a end dump waterpump and accelarator pedel, one rearend, owner to cheap to put all tires on drives put 11r22.5 on frount drive left lopros on rear must have been driver abuse. wish they built trucks like that

i put several 100,000 miles on a 97 ch 330/380 light truck grossing 125,000 gvw plus pulling a end dump waterpump and accelarator pedel, one rearend, owner to cheap to put all tires on drives put 11r22.5 on frount drive left lopros on rear must have been driver abuse. wish they built trucks like that

yeah I agree bigen. I have a 97 CH613 with a 350 in it that's been almost pain free for close to a million miles. It's had a tranny swap, one water pump, one starter, and one oil cooler. I put crankshaft bearings in at about 800,000 when the oil cooler went out because I was afraid of damage from mixing oil and coolant but the bearings looked good. The 97 still makes a round from Houston to Chicago every week grossed out at 80,000 lbs like a new one and gets better fuel mileage than the 460 gets on the same job.

the fuel milage is the only thing that gives me hope. lite load not to tall 63 mph a little over 8 mpg thats from junction city ks. to las vegas on hwy70. if i have to deadhead very far i will keep it at 58mph and its very close to 10. i know i have just ruined my creditability on here. it is very mph sensitive if i cut it loose 75/85 it drops to about 3mpg

the fuel milage is the only thing that gives me hope. lite load not to tall 63 mph a little over 8 mpg thats from junction city ks. to las vegas on hwy70. if i have to deadhead very far i will keep it at 58mph and its very close to 10. i know i have just ruined my creditability on here. it is very mph sensitive if i cut it loose 75/85 it drops to about 3mpg

wow I've never get near 8mpg but at 80,000 if I keep a light foot on it around 55-60 I can get 6.5 or so. If I run 70 or over it drops down to around 3.5 to 4 mpg.

I wil have to say that the best MPG we have seen in years is coming from our MP8 trucks, mostly CXU's with the 485hp. Even with the DPF using up fuel to regen they still get much better fuel mileage than the ASET's. If I was at work I could pull up the figures on my buddys truck, I was quite shocked. I know he has a fuller trans and super singles on the rear, I dont what gears and or exact tire size or model of trans he has though.

I did stay at home with the kids and play in the snow, I'm 41 and I have a 2 year old and a 8 year old and we had a blast. Didn't think about Mack trucks all day!

You did good and probably the same thing I would have. Me an momma spent nearly every free minute with the kids when they were young.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

You did good and probably the same thing I would have. Me an momma spent nearly every free minute with the kids when they were young.

Rob

My Dad worked all the time when I was young and my Mom stayed at home with me. I really paid off when got to retire early at 58 years old, He does feel bad about not getting to spend time with me back then, but now he really spoils his grandkids and spends lots of time with them. My wife is 10 years younger than me and were talking about having 1 more, I hope it's a girl instead of these mean boys, LOL.

My Dad worked all the time when I was young and my Mom stayed at home with me. I really paid off when got to retire early at 58 years old, He does feel bad about not getting to spend time with me back then, but now he really spoils his grandkids and spends lots of time with them. My wife is 10 years younger than me and were talking about having 1 more, I hope it's a girl instead of these mean boys, LOL.

Haha...I've got a 5 year old daughter and a 20 month old son. It's funny how OPPOSITE kids can be when they're squeezed out of the same place. Boy is quiet and completely content...girl is opposite. lol

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

• 1 year later...

That was my original thinking fjh. I had replaced the cooler once and didn't want that prob again. so far on just over 100,000 it's still doing fine and the fuel mileage gain doesn't hurt either.

hey did this work on your truck, i bought a 2004 mack cx 613 a month ago and atifreeze just started coming out of the exhaust,

thanks jeff

hey did this work on your truck, i bought a 2004 mack cx 613 a month ago and atifreeze just started coming out of the exhaust,

thanks jeff

Just a note for you guys one of the trucks that had the block plate started using coolant again we ended up plugging off the coolant to the cooler as well .So point being here the heating and cooling cycles of exhaust gas is only part of the equation when dealing with egr cooler leakage if you want a complete reprieve from any leaks you need to plug off the coolant passages as well.