A Ch With A Hot And Cold Past.

rsb502

I have always loved Mack trucks, I mean when I was little I would draw pictures of different companies trucks but no matter what they owned my pictures were always Macks. I got to drive my first Mack an old RD688 tractor that was converted to a dump truck when I was 16yrs old, what a day. I have been driving Macks ever since, well I decided a few years ago it was time to get my own. Now I can tell you I may (understatement) have tried to get into trucking at the wrong time. I started with an 04 Granite triaxle that I quickly tricked out,(I do like shiny stuff) and after a few months things were going good and I found my dream truck a 1984 RWS722LST or Superliner for those less numerically proficient. I decided to bite another several thousand dollar bullet and buy it and a dump trailer, well lets just say you might want to find work for said dump trailer before you buy one. I ended up pulling containers out of the rail yard in Nashville TN with the Superdog and soon found out an E-9 V-8 in a double frame heavy spec 19,000lb daycab wasnt right for the job. I decided if I was going to keep up the otr business I needed to get a lighter sleeper truck with better fuel economy, enter the old CH. I had found an old CH613 sitting in the weeds in the middle of an industrial area a couple years before and never could find anyone that knew who owned it. I went back and sure enough it was still there and I got to taking a real good look, much to my surprise it had under 200,000 miles showing and was L-O-A-D-E-D it had every option they put in a CH in 1993. I started my search for the owner again and a month or two later found out it was owned by a music production company they did sound and lights for touring music groups. I admit thwe next part really got me but they swore they had forgotten they owned it since it wasnt parked anywhere near their building, the best they could figure it had been in the same spot for over 7 years. I just couldnt beleive it so I had friends go over to the truck with me and they all agreed it was ligitimate, now came the fun part get them to sell a truck they forgot they owned. The company is now know as Morris leasing and as I got more info they had gone to a lend lease agreemant with PACCAR in 1996 and juast used that truck to move trailers between shops here in Middle TN. The real kicker is that they hadent employed anyone with a CDL since 1998, so they just never thought about the truck or the two trailers near it again, oh and the two trailers were from the Alabama tour in the mid 90's that was this trucks only otr journey. I had a heck of a time getting them to price the truck and finally just offered $5000.00 and I would get it moved and take it running or not. Then came the wait I waited more than 3 months calling once or twice a week and no word, finally the lot the truck was parked on was sold and the new owner wanted it moved. I have to say I am not ashamed of this next part, I went to the lots new owner and asked if he wanted the truck moved, hell yeah was his reply so I gave him the number to Morris leasing and listened as he called and told them to get that old piece of junk off of his lot. I waited tha appropriate 30 mins. then I called asking if they had decided on my offer to which they asked what was your offer again so I told him $5000.00 as is and I would get it moved asap. I was told I'd hear back soon and 15 mins later I got a how soon can you move it its yours, I was pretty happy now but little did I know that I had another week and a half of waiting for them to find the title then get it released. I did finally get the title in hand and went into action, I bought a new set of filters, batteries, air governor, purge valve rebuild kit, etc. everything I thought I would need to bring it back from the dead. I went to work ion the truck the next day and once I had swapped the filters and batteries came the moment of truth a truck that had been sitting in the same spot for the better part of a decade started at the first hit of the key no long drawn out cranking I mean I touched the key and it started and never even sputtered once. I guess long story short you never know what you are going to find and what you will encounter along the way to get what you want but my $5000.00 dollar Mack CH did a great job after I serviced her and put tires with non rotted sidewalls on her. I hope I find another one oh and it still has under 300,000 miles on it 17 years after it was built.

post-5240-12623041788518_thumb.jpg

post-5240-12623042013574_thumb.jpg

post-5240-12623042348311_thumb.jpg

post-5240-12623042613727_thumb.jpg

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

What a steal. Truck looks good. As a matter of fact, all yhem look good.

One question, with the Granite, after all the chrome was added, could you get more $ for work.

I'd like to add some , but it doesn't pay any more than I'm getting now.

Good Luck with the CH

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

What a steal. Truck looks good. As a matter of fact, all yhem look good.

One question, with the Granite, after all the chrome was added, could you get more $ for work.

I'd like to add some , but it doesn't pay any more than I'm getting now.

Good Luck with the CH

I know chrome dont get ya home but I love customized trucks and I dont think I could even drive a plain jane truck anymore. I think the more you do to a tuck yourself the more you feel it is really your truck not just something you do for work I guess it all comes down to what you like in the end and I am attracted to shiny stuff. Ryan

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I know chrome dont get ya home but I love customized trucks and I dont think I could even drive a plain jane truck anymore. I think the more you do to a tuck yourself the more you feel it is really your truck not just something you do for work I guess it all comes down to what you like in the end and I am attracted to shiny stuff. Ryan

I'm not one for a lot of chrome but do admire personalization of a vehicle. Too many trucks running the roads that are generic with all the aftermarket items added. After a while, they kinda blend together. Look at your Superliner for instance; Seeing that truck working would get a second glance and quite possibly a close up examination if not in transit. The Granite, (while I mean no offense) would't peak the same response. I'm just as fond of clean, mill finish aluminum as I am brightly polished, but look at that kind of stuff from a functionality standpoint. I also like spokes from the same outlook. I've seen dump trucks with a lot of britework on them so know it is popular but it sure is easier to repaint a steel wheel rather than deal with a gouged aluminum one. Hell of a lot cheaper too. I hope you fare better with that bumper than every single one I've seen on a dump truck that is twisted.

Nice looking trucks any way they're looked at.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

:SMOKIE-LFT: Good buy on the CH, you can't go wrong with that. What's in it for power, Mechanical or Electronic. I really like your superliner, it looks very sharp.

The CH has a E7-400 vmac 1 (electronic bosch pump engine)Mack 9 spd Mack 3:89 rears on Mack air-ride, it runs good for 17 years old Thanks, Ryan

• 4 weeks later...