01 Vision 460 Oil Temp Problem

have been with this problem for a year. Replaced all filters, flushed out oil cooler off the engine, replaced sensors on coolant and oil, replaced radiator, water pump, thermostat, Fan comes on at 200 deg, but oil temp runs 250 to 270 on flat with 75000, van load. then goes up if I climb a grade, have to slow to 10 MPH to keep it under 270. if it goes over that the 1/4" air hose from compressor to governor blows from the turbo heat. Can I hook a override sw for the fanto be able to turn it on when I want. Mack rep says 250 to 270 is ok for short periods.

help

Ron

If you haven't done so, verify the oil temp. Buy or borrow a heat gun, and check the temp close to the sending unit. You can buy one now for about $70.00 if you shop for one. You did not mention how the engine reacted in the several years prior. You can also check EGT Excessive turbo heat will put heat into the oil. Horse power in any engine is a result of heat. The more BTU's, the more HP. Bigger injectors, more juice, more boost, more BTU's, more HP, more heat to dissipate. Although not the primary function, a major function of engine oil, is to carry off heat. If you do verify, that the oil is that hot, then it should be looked at as a result. A lot of trucks were built with fan over ride switches. Yours could already be wired for one, check with the dealer.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
have been with this problem for a year. Replaced all filters, flushed out oil cooler off the engine, replaced sensors on coolant and oil, replaced radiator, water pump, thermostat, Fan comes on at 200 deg, but oil temp runs 250 to 270 on flat with 75000, van load. then goes up if I climb a grade, have to slow to 10 MPH to keep it under 270. if it goes over that the 1/4" air hose from compressor to governor blows from the turbo heat. Can I hook a override sw for the fanto be able to turn it on when I want. Mack rep says 250 to 270 is ok for short periods.

help

Ron

Which cooling fan setup does your truck have?Some of the 01 model truck came with one type from the factory,later with this problem being discovered by Mack they upgraded with what they called a cooling mod kit.This kit lowered the water pump changed the fan,shroud and clutch,for better air flow and so forth.

The only time my 01 Vision has ever run that hot was when I pulled 47000 pounds of copper up an 8% grade just south of Globe Arizona. Later I had to replace the oil cooler and the dealer said there was an upgrade kit I needed to help keep it from running hot. here are some pictures compare to your truck...mine is an E-tech 427 econodyne. Good luck .

P.S. everything without paint is new. The oil cooler and the metal pipe plus the blue silacone hose is the add on parts. my truck does not have a water conditioner filter I have to add conditioner packets to the water.

post-2321-1249864974_thumb.jpg

post-2321-1249865043_thumb.jpg

THE GREATEST NAME IN TRUCKS

MACK TRUCKS

• 12 years later...