Series Parallel Switch

If anyone has been following my saga of trying to get my poor truck started, you'll know how slow my progress is, with not enough time and not enough experience.

Anyway, the series parallel switch is now newly replaced, I'm still trying to get the truck started and checking into my fuel issue (thanks, David !) When I try to crank the truck over the switch starts to spark and it appears that a connection looks like it is very hot. Is this a result of over-starting or something else?

The series parallel switch appears to be connected properly and it doesnt start to spark or get red until I keep on it for a bit.

Thanks guys !!

First ? is the engine turning over? Also the S/P switch should NOT spark. You have a bad / loose conection? Also if you are not trying to crank over 30-35 seconds at a time it should NOT get hot. Next do you have enough battery capacity and are the batteries Good and fully charged. Low battery voltage causes the starter to draw more amprage than it's suspost to. Your started it'sself may have internal problems. Go to your nearest libiary and look in a "Motor's Truck" repair manual , they still showed the wiring for a S/P swithch untill the 80s books.

John Evans,

Trucks & Dogs are expensive!!

First ? is the engine turning over? Also the S/P switch should NOT spark. You have a bad / loose conection? Also if you are not trying to crank over 30-35 seconds at a time it should NOT get hot. Next do you have enough battery capacity and are the batteries Good and fully charged. Low battery voltage causes the starter to draw more amprage than it's suspost to. Your started it'sself may have internal problems. Go to your nearest libiary and look in a "Motor's Truck" repair manual , they still showed the wiring for a S/P swithch untill the 80s books.

The engine is just cranking not turning over. I am almost positive that I now have some fuel problem. Exactly what, I dunno..

I know the switch shouldnt spark, it must be the connection then. It just seemed to start when we were trying to crank it too much.

The batteries are all new, just put them in before the S/P switch.

I do have a full wiring diagram that Barry from Watts sent me, and I should soon have my manual from the Mack museum.

Best bet sounds to be to check the wiring on the S/P switch. I just thought maybe pushing the starter button and trying to start it may have drawn on the switch somehow.

I saw in another post about the fuel pump, that there is a plunger, when we disconnected the lines, no fuel. We pumped the plunger, no resistance. I'm just not getting fuel that far up.

Donna: The term "cranking " means the engine is rotating with the starter. Mistakes in termanology between people working at a distance causes no end of fun. "What you think I'm saying is not whay I'm saying " LOL Like David said pull the fuel line and blow through it to make sure it is clear , then lighty presurise the tank to force fuel to the injection pump. Give'r hell.

John Evans,

Trucks & Dogs are expensive!!