Model Specific Mack Emblems.

Typically :mack1: has used standard emblems to identify their products. Over the years there have been occasions when they have strayed from the norm. I have several examples, can any others be identified?

:mack1: D-models, the second styling, the version with the rounded front grille, rear cab corner windows, and the dog emblems below the vent wing windows on the doors.

The side profile rounded style Bulldogs in the emblems are approximately 1/2 the size of the standard dog profile.

:mack1: N-models, the budd cab Mack that everyone thinks is a Ford.

The Mack script on the doors below the windshield posts is approximately 1/2 the size of the standard Mack script.

:mack1: Cruiseliner, the mid '70s attempt at an aluminum cabover.

The long ear modern era Bulldog side profile finished in silver or gold, surrounded by a red glass sunburst.

These emblems were not used on any other product offered by :mack1:.

There are several other examples that I will hold off on for now. Lets hear what you have to say!

Doug

Interested in Old Trucks? Check out:

www.antiquetruckclubofamerica.org

The Cruiseliner emblem was not mounted on a firetruck by :mack1: .

The C model fire apparatus, formerly Beck Fre Apparatus used a completely different emblem. It included a side profile of a chrome rounded style bulldog with Mack script in gold. This emblem was also used on some of the Mack bus line. The gold Mack script was above the bulldog profile. This emblem is constructed of plastic and includes an aluminum trim ring. The Cruiseliner emblem is smaller and consists of red glass laid over the chrome base.

Alot of people think these are the same emblem, but they are considerably different when placed side by side.

Doug

That is true on the Cruiseliner, BUT they only used it(the round,red emblem in the grill) for a few years. They quit using it when,or just before, they changed the cab.

The grille medallion disappeared from the Cruiseliner sometime between the 76 and 77 model year.The cab change came with the move to Macungie.

Typically :mack1: has used standard emblems to identify their products. Over the years there have been occasions when they have strayed from the norm. I have several examples, can any others be identified?

:mack1: D-models, the second styling, the version with the rounded front grille, rear cab corner windows, and the dog emblems below the vent wing windows on the doors.

The side profile rounded style Bulldogs in the emblems are approximately 1/2 the size of the standard dog profile.

:mack1: N-models, the budd cab Mack that everyone thinks is a Ford.

The Mack script on the doors below the windshield posts is approximately 1/2 the size of the standard Mack script.

:mack1: Cruiseliner, the mid '70s attempt at an aluminum cabover.

The long ear modern era Bulldog side profile finished in silver or gold, surrounded by a red glass sunburst.

These emblems were not used on any other product offered by :mack1:.

There are several other examples that I will hold off on for now. Lets hear what you have to say!

Doug

The H60 and H-61 had a totally unique grille emblem and the Mack Jr. Bulldog was never used on any other model.Those are the only others I can think of off the top of my head,Doug,which ones did I miss?

:thumb: Good thinking on the H-60 & 61, and of course on the Juniors. I would like to have a few of each of them sitting around!

Lets give some others the opportunity to chime in, I'll see how things are going and fill in the blanks later in the week.

I hope others like this type of discussion on the board, there have been several good ones on the Antique Truck Club of America discussion board lately as well. Check it out when you get the chance!

I consider this the true reason for this type of board. Where else can you go to get the answers to some of the :mack1: or antique truck related questions that have been bouncing around for years.

I know I have never seen the great big Thermodyne emblems on anything but the sides of the hoods of R Models. These are much bigger than the ones that were on B's. Now, I have never seen in person, an R Model with these big emblems, BUT I know Mack made them because I have Mack dealer sales books from the mid to late 60's with actual pictures of these R Models, with these big Thermodyne emblems. :D

Mack only used the V8 emblem on trucks that had a Mack V8. Also I think it was only used with the E9 series engine.

They did away with the V8 emblem long before the E9 came out.They used them on the 864,865,and 866 V8 powered trucks.The ones for the 865 were gold.

a frind of mine with a BCR has the thermodyne emblems. first time I have seen them on a R model

The Thermodyne emblems on Al's BCR were from an F model.I've never seen an R model with factory installed Thermodyne emblems.I've been around several '66 and '67 R607,609,611 and 615's,none of them had eveidence of ever having Thermodyne on the hood.

I know I have never seen the great big Thermodyne emblems on anything but the sides of the hoods of R Models. These are much bigger than the ones that were on B's. Now, I have never seen in person, an R Model with these big emblems, BUT I know Mack made them because I have Mack dealer sales books from the mid to late 60's with actual pictures of these R Models, with these big Thermodyne emblems. :D

I've seen those pictures too,along with pictures of very early U and R models with no MACK letters on the front of the hood,instead they had the same front emblem used on the off-highway M series.I wonder if these were just prototypes??

My sales book shows the R607T through to the R611LST with these emblems. Also the R640 and 640ST. I also have sales sheets for R615T, LT, ST, and LST Models with 864 c.i. N.A. V8 Engines! And yes they have short hoods with V8's. :D

I had a '67 R615LST,864 V-8,15 speed,4:76 rears on inverted Camelback.That old girl would run 80 mph.Traded it to a friend of my for a '72 FS785T with a box and hoist.

I was waiting for someone to mention the :mack1: off road front emblem. They were only used on the prototype trucks used in the photos. I looked into them and couldn't verify any production trucks with them factory mounted.

:mack1: off-highway used the chrome trapazoid with black R-model style Mack script on the top of the grille shell.

As long as we are talking off-highway:

:mack1: off-highway trucks used a large version of the R-model type script cut from flat aluminum on the sides of the hood.

These were only used on :mack1: off-highway trucks.

The early C model bus used a bright slightly diamond shaped emblem with a :mack1: script in black in the center.

How about the early B hood side emblem, it was the shape of a trapazoid to mimic the AC style hood from the front. It was a brass surround with black inlay with gold :mack1: script.

Honorable mention includes the early L and F hood side emblem. The :mack1: script cut from a steel sheet and chromed. These were replaced by the formed :mack1: script used through the mid '60's.

Any more?

I can post photos of most of these if there is an interest.

Doug

• 6 months later...

The grille shell almost looks like an A or an L. Is the emblem cast? I have one from an early L that looks similar, It is cast potmetal/whitemetal, I don't remember what the :mack1: script looks like on it. I'll have to pull it out to compare.

Thanks for sharing the emblem with us! What are the dimensions of it? Thanks, Doug

• Like 1

• 10 years later...

I'm looking for the emblem that goes on the top radiator tank on the B80's.I would also be interested in a battery box for my B87,I need only the bottom.My top measures 17x15x12.Please help.

You can contact the museum to obtain a shop drawing of the battery box so it can be re-created. Have you checked with Watts about the emblem?

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!