What Models Were Built @ Hayward?

This question has been raised several times, lets get to the bottom of it!

:bulldog1:

The Hayward, California :mack1: plant was opened in January 1966.

They started with the FL and in 1967 constructed the RL model. These models featured aluminum components mounted on aluminum frame rails. FS and RS models were introduced in 1967, these featured steel frame rails with similar components to the L versions. In 1974 The Hayward plant added the W "Cruiseliner" model to its lineup. These were built both in Hayward and ultimately in the Macungie Assembly Facility. In 1978 when the RW "Superliner" was introduced, they were built both in Hayward and Macungie. The serial number plate on the door will specify Mack Western, Hayward, CA. The :mack1: Western plant closed in 1980 pulling the assembly back to Pennsylvania.

Did :mack1: assemble any other models in Hayward?

Does anyone have any interesting tales pertaining to the Hayward plant or their :mack1: Western products?

• Like 1

Interested in Old Trucks? Check out:

www.antiquetruckclubofamerica.org

Great topic Doug :thumb:

I think all models built there were mentioned so far but I have another question..were some of the later B models and L models (altho not built in hayward) directed to the "western" owers. I thought I saw an item for B models on ebay a few years back with "western" on the title page.. could be wrong? wish I could find a pic of it again.

also how common were the RS600s tractors (not the later valuliners)back in there day? I tend to find alot more RS700s and Valuliners in for sale ads

Trent

I have got to ask this,

How positive are you that the Cruiseliner came out on the market in 1974? I don't believe I have ever seen a 1974 Cruiseliner. As far as my memory serves me, the Cruiseliner came out in 1976.

The Cruiseliner was introduced in November 1974.I've never seen one titled as a '74 but have known of many '75's.

I was thinkin' my B said "Western" on the tag!!!??? I'd have to go out and check the tag, but it's far too cold here tonite to venture out to the shop for a check!! +2*F right now and on the way to around -5*F I guess! Not as cold as up in WI. though. I heard -26*F right now on the radio a few minutes ago! BURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1965 B755

OWNER/OPERATOR

1965 Mack B755, 325hp V-8, 15spd. Tri-Plex, 44,000 Camelbacks, Twin Screw....

1969 Mack R6 , 250hp il6cyl., 15spd. Tri-Plex, 46,000 Camelbacks, Twin Screw....

1995 KW T600/603 500hp-3406E CAT, 18spd. Roadranger, Rockwell SQHD's @ 3.70's, 60" ADAC, 10 Alums., Dig. Dash, Sunroof, Headache Rack, Sliding 5th wh., LP24.5's, KW 8-bag Airglide 200 Air Ride, White w/ Red,Blue,&Gold Graphics & Lettering. over Black bumper & side fairings.....

1986 J&L 43' SS 5000gal. tank on Air....

1986 Grain Hopper 43'x96"x80" on Air...

1978 Ravens 42'x96"x4' lite wght. sidekit w/ tarp and 32" rise bows, on 9' spread on Hen. A/R....

1991 CPS 45'x102"x12'6" Walking Floor, Spring Ride, Closed Tandem....

1977 Lowboy 24' deck w/ 4' beavertail, Tri-Axle...

1966 Fruehauf 40' close tandem spring/slider w/ easy trip log bunks....

1986 Ford F250 4x4 6.9L Diesel, C-6, SC...

1987 Chevy V20 4x4 350FI, 400 Auto., Custom Show Truck, 41k orig. miles...

1968 IH Scout 304ci, Auto., 4x4, Project...

1998 Cub Cadet 2000 Series Pulling Tractor 25hp Kohler Command V-Twin in 20 Stock Class....

The Cruiseliner was introduced in November 1974.I've never seen one titled as a '74 but have known of many '75's.

Right on! The Cruiseliner was introduced as a new model in 1975. I wasn't sure exactly what month the Cruiseliner was actually opened up to the public. I was confident that with all new vehicles the production starts approximately a year before the first ones are sold. Prototypes are run down the line to identify problems with the builds and hopefully eliminate them before the demand hits. I guess the Cruiseliner demand never really hit!

This gives me another idea for a post topic! Doug

As far as older western market aimed :mack1: trucks, yes there was the Great Western Series! The Great Western models came about with the pending introduction of the G model. The G was the aluminum cabover aimed directly at capturing :mack1: a spot in fleets dominated by off brand trucks. The goal was to offer a :mack1: chassis with off brand engines and components similar to what the generic truck assemblers were offering. The Great Western models included B's and G's. As far as I know the s/n tag does not specify "Great Western", at least none of mine do. They used the regular tag for all of my G's.

Earlier models directed at the western market were of course the LT and the W-71. I don't think they had any sort of descriptive title associated with their attempt at trying to cut into left coast trucking.

No they didn't recycle any G model stuff, they talked about it! I spoke with an engineer that worked for Mack at the time, they considered reusing some of the items from the G but it didn't prove to be worthwhile.

Good question, good eye!

• 10 years later...

I know this is an old topic but it caught my eye.  I'm a fan of "Western" (Hayward) Macks.  One thing that they all seemed to have in common, at least in my memory, was un-shielded exhaust stacks.  Part of what burned (pun intended) that into my memory is the fact that I got a hell of a burn on my arm as a kid climbing into our new Superliner with those stacks one time.  I never understood why they didn't have any heat shield like all trucks today.  They have a real distinctive look that I didn't care for at the time but have now come to really appreciate because of their uniqueness.  Does anyone know the story on the chromed (??), unshielded stacks?  These were the ones bolted right to the cab back before the RWs got air ride cabs.  Maybe they were an early production thing because I've seen some first gen Superliners without them.  I think even the Rubber Duck Convoy truck had one.  And I've seen them on western F models.  

Are they the same muffler as the shielded ones.... just without the shield?  Does anyone still produce them?  I'm surprised I never see them on restored first gen Superliners.  I think they're so cool.  

6864590587_bcafbb5dbe_o.jpg

2322114372_4128a8b1b8_o.jpg

Sup70s13-vi.jpg

8540676134_c7137faec9_o.jpg

• Like 1

What a great topic. The Hayward Macks are my favourites.

From what I've seen the RS/RL600 seemed to be a popular choice for mixers. I've seen quite a few on ebay etc. but not so many tractors.

I think the G model/Kenworth issue was to do with the cab door design. If you take a close look at the G model door it does look pretty similar to the KW door design and I heard somewhere that KW filed over it.

Attaching an interesting period read on the opening of Hayward.

mackwestern_20160616123008.pdf

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Whiskymack said:

What a great topic. The Hayward Macks are my favourites.

From what I've seen the RS/RL600 seemed to be a popular choice for mixers. I've seen quite a few on ebay etc. but not so many tractors.

I think the G model/Kenworth issue was to do with the cab door design. If you take a close look at the G model door it does look pretty similar to the KW door design and I heard somewhere that KW filed over it.

Attaching an interesting period read on the opening of Hayward.

mackwestern_20160616123008.pdf

On the west coast, the RL/RS probably was more popular in vocational (mixers).

But back east, it was viewed as an upscale and/or lightweight alternative to the R-model in the tractor segment.

You're right about the door design controversy.

One place I worked for had a 1966 RL. With a short ser# I know the only four numbers in it were 1792.  Aluminum rails, 335 Cummins, Spicer 5X4 and SQHD's.

I didn't know there was a controversy over the doors. Kenworth came out with that door design in late 1963. 

Truck Shop

One ping only

My Rs700L did not have a heat shield on the stack when I bought it used in 2004. I would have to go back and look at the build sheet to see if it was an option. But you are correct in saying most of the Westerns did not have shields. Just about all the pics I can find of them are bare metal mufflers.

Nice someone brought up this topic again. I never really understood the Rs and Rl600 difference from the value liner. Bought a front clip from a scrapyard minus the cab and it was a 1980 Rs600lst but said value liner. I thought the value liner came out later?

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

23 minutes ago, Maddog13407 said:

Nice someone brought up this topic again. I never really understood the Rs and Rl600 difference from the value liner. Bought a front clip from a scrapyard minus the cab and it was a 1980 Rs600lst but said value liner. I thought the value liner came out later?

The RL/RS originally didn't have a name. It was later decided to create one, alike the Cruise-Liner and Super-Liner (speaking of Mack Western).

Until the Ultra-Liner (which was intended as a nationwide truck), the only "east coast" Mack with a name was the F model......"Interstater". But the name "Interstater" never caught on with anyone.

Refuse company mechanics adopted names for the MB, but BMT is no place for colorful metaphors.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

I didn't realise how old this thread was when I first posted but it's still a goodie.

Maybe the absence of muffler was a weight saving thing. It seems they designed out everything they could get away with to get the weight down!

Another brochure for you.

67RL1.jpg

67RL2.jpg

67RL3.jpg

67RL4.jpg

67RL5.jpg

67RL6.jpg

67RL7.jpg

67RL8.jpg

• Like 2