Dayton Super Single Conversion

Does anyone know of a reputable shop that has the capability to make one "13 wide 22.5 Dayton wheel that will take the place of a set of rear dual 22.5's. I want to run Super Singles on the rear of my old B20 project but retain the Daytons. I know it can be done, just need to find a shop with a big enough lathe to cut up the stock 22.5's so they can be sectioned. Any ideas?

Does anyone know of a reputable shop that has the capability to make one "13 wide 22.5 Dayton wheel that will take the place of a set of rear dual 22.5's. I want to run Super Singles on the rear of my old B20 project but retain the Daytons. I know it can be done, just need to find a shop with a big enough lathe to cut up the stock 22.5's so they can be sectioned. Any ideas?

I will check with a customer of mine that gets rims made for his fertilizer spreader trucks. Some of his older stuff has Dayton hubs.

Hopefully I can relay to you tomorrow a source.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

LocomotiveBreath,

Accuride makes a 13 inch rear super single rim for Dayton hubs. You cant use steer axle rims on the drive axles, you need a rim that has a lip to seat the rim on the hub and the outer lip for the clamps. Here is the link for their PDF catalog. And here is a link to their catalog page.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Thanks all,

I think the Accuride P/N 31659 will work for what I want to do. I think I will have to get shorter rim clamps because I currently have 3 3/8" spacers on the duals and the super single wheels listed replace duals with 4" spacers. It will be great if they are a normally stocked item, I guess I'll find out Monday. That Accuride catalog is really handy.

Rob, I may be luck and not need a custom rim after all.

Well, Accuride is really proud of those wheels. Barry at Walt's Mack quoted me the best price out of the 5 places I checked with today. I was quoted anywhere from $495.00 ea. to $680.00 ea. + shipping. I still can't believe they are so expensive for what they are. As expensive as the Accuride wheels are I'm still going to check on custom wheels, they can't be much worse.

• 2 weeks later...

The Super Single conversion is done. I ended up finding this place www.wheelsnowinc.com they custom made the wheels. They ended up being $300.00 less for the pair than the Accuride's were. It's a good thing I didn't go with the Accuride P/N 31659 after all, because they would have been too wide in the mounting area for my hub spokes. Since I had to go custom anyway I had them made to be equal to 3 3/8" spacer and I didn't have any extra room on the spokes. The Accuride's were made to be equal to a 4" spacer.

I'll say one thing. I mounted the tires on the rims, and then onto the truck and boy they are some heavy SOB's to wrestle with. I guess they're a little lighter than a pair of 11-22.5s, but you don't have to wrestle them two at time either.

post-2633-1232337136_thumb.jpg

post-2633-1232337160_thumb.jpg

Those wheels look great!!! I'm also going to use Super Singles, I got a pretty good deal on a set of used 14" wide aluminum Budd rims. They came up fine with a little polishing.

Jim

1008cr.jpg

Those are going to look good on your truck. Have you bought your tires yet? I got mine from a guy on Ebay that had seven good used ones for sale. I didn't need all seven so I gave him a call a got him to sell me just two of them. He probably still has the other five. PM me if your interested in the contact info. Those tires are hard to find used, at least around here, and new ones are really expensive.

Those are going to look good on your truck. Have you bought your tires yet? I got mine from a guy on Ebay that had seven good used ones for sale. I didn't need all seven so I gave him a call a got him to sell me just two of them. He probably still has the other five. PM me if your interested in the contact info. Those tires are hard to find used, at least around here, and new ones are really expensive.

Thanks but I think I'll be okay for tires because we're running them on one of our highway trucks. I'll wait until the last minute then grab a couple off that truck. They'll be over a year old by then but should still have at least 50% of the tread left. As you said those tires are still really expensive and there aren't many used ones available.

By the way, the next trucks we order will all have Super Singles. The drivers were a little unsure about them at first so we only got them on one truck last time but now they really like them. They say they ride just a little better and get better traction. We also have to use tire chains from time to time and the single tires are much easier to chain up.

Kevin,

I've been following this forum, and I'm pretty

impressed with what I see. I would be real

interested in the ride that you get from the

Super Singles. It should be pretty good.

Looks like a great idea for my 69 R-600 that

is becoming our shop and errand lowboy tractor.

We don't carry any real weight, and I have an

air ride crossmember that will be installed on

the rear suspension.

Contact info for the wheel manufacturer,

and the exact wheel dimensions would

be appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul Van Scott

Thanks fellas. I'm going to clean, blast, and paint the front's to match this coming weekend.

The company that made the wheels is called Wheels Now, Inc. Waukesha, WI (1-800-782-5145) Ask for Mike.

The Wheels Now P/N is WN31659-MOD and are based on an Accuride 31659 but are narrower between the mounting wedges. My truck had 3 3/8" spacers between the duals and the Accuride's were made to replace duals with a 4" spacer. The flat portion of the spoke on my truck only measures 5 1/2" so I was concerned that I would not be able to get my wedges to fit. Wheels Now can make their version of the stock 31659 or modified for shorter spokes as needed. The Accuride technical rep. actually recommended Wheels Now to me when we were discussing my options, and Wheels Now uses Accuride components to build their wheels. I was also really surprised that buying the custom wheels was $150.00 per wheel cheaper than off the shelf Accuride's. Go figure.

The stock 31659's measure 22.5 x 13 with equal offset.