Fault Codes

Our Cxu threw a fault code that is not in the manual. The code was MID 128 PPID 35 FMI 0. Could anyone tell me what this code stands for?

"EGR Mass Flow above range". For some reason the ECM thinks there is too much EGR. Any leaks? Boost pressure guage reading OK? Has it felt sluggish?

Our Cxu threw a fault code that is not in the manual. The code was MID 128 PPID 35 FMI 0. Could anyone tell me what this code stands for?

For the new DPF equipped MP engines, there is not a service manual for troubleshooting codes. It's all made into the VCADS/PPT software program for dealers and it sucks. I dont know who made up this program but they blew it. The old Mack program was great and the Cummins Insight program is great as well. The code is for EGR mass flow "data valid but above normal operational range, most severe level 1" . Possible cause faulty egr system or faulty harness or connector. Thats all my little Mack hand out says.

For the new DPF equipped MP engines, there is not a service manual for troubleshooting codes. It's all made into the VCADS/PPT software program for dealers and it sucks. I dont know who made up this program but they blew it. The old Mack program was great and the Cummins Insight program is great as well. The code is for EGR mass flow "data valid but above normal operational range, most severe level 1" . Possible cause faulty egr system or faulty harness or connector. Thats all my little Mack hand out says.
I find that some of the test questions that cummins has on the promotions traing has to be written by young guys that are smarter than i will ever be but dont know much about real live engines. I seems some question will be nothing more than to find out if you can be tricked or not in the question in the study material. I hate this new stuff. The bad thing is it is to be done ever year because of newer and faster electrical componts. It is so much different than when i started in 65 .You need to be willing to work and keep your job clean and be willing to learn but now no one can keep up with it all. glenn

glenn akers

• 4 weeks later...

did you find out what the problem is? in case you didn't...............

check the DOC and see if the inlet side is caked solid with soot. if it is, then you are probably actually flowing way too much egr. check for stuck egr valve by whatever it says in the guided diagnostics/PTT.

if the DOC inlet looks pretty clean then the sensor or wiring is probably lying. get out the ohmmeter

I find that some of the test questions that cummins has on the promotions traing has to be written by young guys that are smarter than i will ever be but dont know much about real live engines. I seems some question will be nothing more than to find out if you can be tricked or not in the question in the study material. I hate this new stuff. The bad thing is it is to be done ever year because of newer and faster electrical componts. It is so much different than when i started in 65 .You need to be willing to work and keep your job clean and be willing to learn but now no one can keep up with it all. glenn

Glen That is all because they want the new teck guys to attend law school to learn to read the half assed gobaldy gook they write for the manuals theses days!That Insite program is awsume thou.Wish the mack guys had taken more pages from that book.

Glen That is all because they want the new teck guys to attend law school to learn to read the half assed gobaldy gook they write for the manuals theses days!That Insite program is awsume thou.Wish the mack guys had taken more pages from that book.
well i dont have to keep up with it any more cause i am retired 3 years ago and dont miss keep up with the tech info anymore. Was donw at old work 20 today and the new engines that i was begtining to see 3 years ago is old engine now.The new DD15 engine is going to be hard to trouble shoot looks like and the cummins comes out with a ECM ever year.

Then you have the auto shift to keep up with and freightliner came out with mutiplexing wiring and the new ABS control plus cat and DD wants the tech to do the waranty claims while connected to the engine as you work and cat ask you to look up you qwn part #s so if there is any mistake in parts it will be blamed on you. Then cummins will not pay enough time to do any kind of complete repairs so your not going to making time on a cummins. Freightliner quit cummins for awhile over waranty. glenn

glenn akers

There is some new info from Mack about this code. Its cause by moisture in Mass flow tube messing up sensor, this seems to happen in cold weather. The Mack dealer can call Mack One Call and they can give instructions on how to fix problem. I know it involves changing the engine thermostat and cleaning out the Delta-P sensor. You need to clear the code with stalk switch or the truck wont regen and then you have another problem. We got one here doing it as well.

• Like 1

• 10 years later...

hey guys im a young tech im working on garbage trucks at the moment and we are seeing a lot of the newer trucks having this same code po42200 catalyst 2 efficiency below threshold (bank 1) and we are not sure why these codes keep popping up weve  sent the trucks to ballard mack and when the trucks come back the code will come back on within a day or two so my question is has anybody seen this or dealt with this and has any pointers on fixing the issue causing the code and where to start weve tried cleaning the cat filter replacing the filter checked and cleared all lines in the system and nothing has working thank you for reading and thanks in advance for any pointers and advice

17 hours ago, allenk360 said:

hey guys im a young tech im working on garbage trucks at the moment and we are seeing a lot of the newer trucks having this same code po42200 catalyst 2 efficiency below threshold (bank 1) and we are not sure why these codes keep popping up weve  sent the trucks to ballard mack and when the trucks come back the code will come back on within a day or two so my question is has anybody seen this or dealt with this and has any pointers on fixing the issue causing the code and where to start weve tried cleaning the cat filter replacing the filter checked and cleared all lines in the system and nothing has working thank you for reading and thanks in advance for any pointers and 

Bad SCR cans. Low grade catalyst material from New. Get your dealer to run the CBRs for these codes. Very common right now.

• 9 months later...
On 3/13/2019 at 4:09 PM, bbigrig said:

Bad SCR cans. Low grade catalyst material from New. Get your dealer to run the CBRs for these codes. Very common right now.

Hi , my name is Jerry. I work for Diesel Mechanic.  What does CBRs stand for? Let me know. Thank!

Jerry