Amazing And Massive Mack F Models!

I found this on the cover of an Italian heavy haul magazine. I tried to contact them but their contact page is broken.

Here is part of the cover page featuring two Mack F900's with Planidrive axles. The axles have a capacity of 100-110k! Damn I keep finding more and more incredible F models. I Wish I could see them first hand! Real beasts and working hard pulling that vessel. I wonder what they had for power. Anyone know anything about these units? I checked the Mack model production sheets and only 5 variations of the F900 were built. Since very few of these trucks were probably built I can only guess that they are either F995's (5 made), F997's (3 made) or F9976's (4 made). Possibly these are 997's? Could the Mack museum help me find out who purchased these units?

gallery_314_135_24996.jpg

• Like 1

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

• 5 months later...

Hi there,

thats me, Ralf Koch from Germany.

No, such trucks was never in operation in Italy.

I was several times in Iran and I know the machines and the heavy hauling business very well.

The shown Macks are in use at Unitrans, Iran Dena, are two F 997SX, built in 1975 for military operations.

The Iranian engineer told me that this two units was part of a series of propably four units, built for the military application at first.

Only this two tractors are known in civilian use now.

Both 6x4 trucks are powered by the E9 V8-engine and 500 hp, manual gear boxes and planetary axles.

Iran Dena is one of the major companies in the Persian heavy hauling business.

More information about this tractors and many other impressive Mack trucks, stories and background information you can find in my book about this business:

_wsb_305x420_cover_iran-buch.jpg

iran-overview-m.jpg

It is a book about all heavy transport companies in Iran and about the equipment of each company

About 650 pictures in color, starting from the history with Mack B87SX up to the oversize RD800SX or DM800SX on planetry axles.

Different units was deliverd as customized prototypes, so many models you have never seen before, for sure!!

Check the preview picture to get a feeling about the working condition. Up to 7 tractors, 500hp each, pulling a heavy load!

Other transports have to cross rivers of 5 feet water! ... and most of the tractors are 30 years old!

Heavy Hauling Iran

www.truckbook.de

Best regards

Ralf

Edited by Ralf Koch
  • Like 1

Hi there,

I was several times in Iran and I know the machines and the heavy hauling business very well.

The shown Macks are in use at Unitrans, Iran Dena, are two F 997SX, built in 1975 for military operations.

The Iranian engineer told me that this two units was part of a series of propably four units, built for the military application at first.

Both 6x4 trucks are powered by the E9 V8-engine and 500 hp, manual gear boxes and planetary axles.

More information about this tractors and many other impressive Mack trucks, stories and background information you can find in my book about this business:

iran-overview-m.jpg

It is a book about all heavy transport companies in Iran and about the equipment of each company

About 650 pictures in color, starting from the history with Mack B87SX up to the oversize RD800SX or DM800SX on planetry axles.

Different units was deliverd as customized prototypes, so many models you have never seen before, for sure!!

Check the preview picture to get a feeling about the working condition. Up to 7 tractors, 500hp each, pulling a heavy load!

Other transports have to cross rivers of 5 feet water! ... and most of the tractors are 30 years old!

Heavy Hauling Iran

www.truckbook.de

Best regards

Ralf

Guten tag Ralf,

Thanks for correcting me - it was an Italian mag the pic came from so I assumed they would have been there! I was surprised when I saw your post telling me they were in Iran!

Joe

Dear Joe,

I know Alberto, the editor of the Italian magazine.

The pictures was taken in last few months by any people from Goldhofer.

There are other models of the F900SX in use in Europe.

I know a 6x6 unit in Spain and an other 6x6 in Norway.

The machine in Norway rolls on standard axles, the machine in Spain has very heavy planetary axles as 6x6!!

Check this pictures from Spain:

http://www.heavy-transport-world.de/images/gr8427.jpeg

http://www.heavy-transport-world.de/images/gr16201.jpeg

http://www.heavy-transport-world.de/images/gr16202.jpeg

That's from Norway:

http://52.img.v4.skyrock.net/520/mackmuppe...219680275_1.jpg

But I want to ask the people in the forum:

Is there any other picture or information available of these logging truck:

http://www.roadtransport.com/blogs/big-lor...ailer%20jpg.jpg

Looks like a F-900 6x6, very impressive machine!

Best regards,

Ralf

Ralf,

THANK YOU for the information! I enjoyed the F900 pictures from Spain and Norway.

Unfortunately I don't know anything about that logger. It does indeed look to be a 6x6 using the FM cab.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

:mack1: hey guys the book is great i bought it last year only for the beautiful mack pictures inside. its a must for the real mackfan. i now that mack had a assembly factory in teheran it closed after the sjah has left the country. i heard now it is a volvo assembly factory.does somewhan nows more facts and the origenal adres of this plant greetings rene.

MACK FOREVER.

:mack1: ... I now that mack had a assembly factory in teheran it closed after the sjah has left the country. i heard now it is a volvo assembly factory.does somewhan nows more facts and the origenal adres of this plant greetings rene.

MACK FOREVER.

You are right.

From 1963 to 1978/79 the company "Iran Kaveh" assembled 7152 Mack trucks in Tehran.

Today it is the company "Saipa Diesel", one of 3-4 car and truck manufacturer in the country, Saipa Diesel assembles Volvo trucks.

Iran is a haven for Mack-friends, just to see the old trucks on the road.

Most of them are unusual B85 from 1942, many of them are still in use!!

A quick view on such an old Mack, just found on the internet:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c63/bengts/bil/Iran/2.jpg

Not in best condition, I found such trucks in condition like new!

Modern trucks are F700 and R600, always on 12.00R24 wheels.

From time to time you can see DM600 or DM800, old B-series and the oversize trucks of heavy hauling companies.

I was three times in this country, just to take photos of this trucks.

The Iranians love Mack trucks!

But more and more Volvo, Mercedes and other brand marks enter the market.

Nearly all trucks in Iran was assembled in national companies, imports are extrem expansive because import duty.

Edited by Ralf Koch

• 8 months later...

Hi Guys,

I'm new to BMT alrhough I've been a huge Mack fan since I was a kid back in the eighties.

Ralf; I think I can solve your puzzle regarding that 6x6 F900 logger truck with the double trailers.

I've been watching the "American Logger" TV show on Discovery channel.

The series is about the logging business in Maine, close to and into Canada.

It follows the Pelletier Family (10 brothers?) and their day to day business.

They run mostly Western Star now, but their founder and dad Gerald Pelletier ran Macks and they still run some of their older RD's and I occasionally see some R'son the show.

One episode they were talking about the good old days when the founder was poineering and one of the guy said their dad was about the first guy to drive double trailers.

Then he pulled the same photo off the wall!

Since I wasn't sure about it I just checked internet; if you go to www.americanloggers.com there's a past and present photo gallery with axactly the same F900 photo!!!

So now you know who owned it.

BTW If you check that website, take a look at their bar and grille (under constuction). They put a DM butterly hood&cab on top of the building.

Guess they still like their old Macks!!

Erik

• 9 years later...
On 11/12/2008 at 6:46 AM, ThaddeusW said:

I found this on the cover of an Italian heavy haul magazine. I tried to contact them but their contact page is broken.

Here is part of the cover page featuring two Mack F900's with Planidrive axles. The axles have a capacity of 100-110k! Damn I keep finding more and more incredible F models. I Wish I could see them first hand! Real beasts and working hard pulling that vessel. I wonder what they had for power. Anyone know anything about these units? I checked the Mack model production sheets and only 5 variations of the F900 were built. Since very few of these trucks were probably built I can only guess that they are either F995's (5 made), F997's (3 made) or F9976's (4 made). Possibly these are 997's? Could the Mack museum help me find out who purchased these units?

gallery_314_135_24996.jpg

On 5/10/2009 at 11:41 AM, koch87 said:

Hi there,

iran-overview-m.jpg

Heavy Hauling Iran

www.truckbook.de

Best regards

Ralf

Yeah 100% correct, direct message me on instagram i send you 100s pictures of these macks

Edmondmokasian

On 5/11/2009 at 12:31 AM, huppypuppy said:

Guten tag Ralf,

Thanks for correcting me - it was an Italian mag the pic came from so I assumed they would have been there! I was surprised when I saw your post telling me they were in Iran!

Joe

Yeah diect message me instagram edmondmokasian ill send you 100s of pictures 

20 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

I don’t do social media. I don’t have “too much spare time” on my hands. If I was on Facebook, Twitter, WeChat and other social media, I’d never get any work done.

Same here. This is about the only website I participate with/at anymore. Ebay and Craigslist of course, but I need to break away from those too as reasonably priced Mack parts have almost gone extinct.

• Like 2

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.