1987 Mack Ms 2 Cabover Brakes

Msimek

Hi guys, new guy here.

I have a 1987 Mack MS 2 Cabover and I am going to need some brake work soon.

I have taken it to a very reputable repair shop and they had informed me that it was going to cost about $12,000.00 to fix the brakes!!!!!!!!! :blink::pat:

I only paid less than that for the truck!

I have a real hard time believing that it is going to cost that much. They say they don't make the parts anymore and they are only available from France because this is when Renault made the truck

I would really appreciate some help, if this is really the case I guess thats why I don't see many on the road.

Edited by MSimek

Hi guys, new guy here.

I have a 1987 Mack MS 2 Cabover and I am going to need some brake work soon.

I have taken it to a very reputable repair shop and they had informed me that it was going to cost about $12,000.00 to fix the brakes!!!!!!!!! :blink::pat:

I only paid less than that for the truck!

I have a real hard time believing that it is going to cost that much. They say they don't make the parts anymore and they are only available from France because this is when Renault made the truck

I would really appreciate some help, if this is really the case I guess thats why I don't see many on the road.

I've had a couple of midliners and their quote is out of line. The MS200 series of trucks had straight hydraulic brakes and all of the hydraulic parts can be rebuilt. The shoes on mine I just had relined. It was much less expensive than replacement, and in my opinion, better quality as I chose the friction material I wanted.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I had one too and it wasn,t that much to fix, If you left mine sit to long i had problems, always liked gumed up with slime on the bottom pluging everything up

THanks both you guys! I appreciate your time in reading my post. I will keep lookin around for somebody to work on this thing.

One thing I didn notice is that mine is part air brakes and part hydraulic brakes, I guess they are air assisted hydraulic brakes.

I guess the only part that needs to be redone would be the hydraulic parts in the drums and calipers.

THanks both you guys! I appreciate your time in reading my post. I will keep lookin around for somebody to work on this thing.

One thing I didn notice is that mine is part air brakes and part hydraulic brakes, I guess they are air assisted hydraulic brakes.

I guess the only part that needs to be redone would be the hydraulic parts in the drums and calipers.

I was wondering if yours was a MS250 series or not when I said the MS200 had straight hydraulic brakes. One of mine was a MS250, (air over hydraulic), the other a CS300 which had full air brakes.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Guys,

I know that most of the posts on this site are about airbrakes and Mack/Watts doesn't have much for hydraulic brakes and parts- since some of the older trucks use hydraulics- having them rebuilt is key. The best guy I have found is Whitepost in Virginia. Cost is about $80-$100 per wheel cylinder and is a 1 day turnaround. They also do master cylinders, hydro vacs and relining. I used a Transaxle for my relining. Also Whitepost offers a lifetime warranty on the parts so once their done- you don't need to worry about them again as they sleeve the cylinders with brass so no more rust in the cylinders. They also have all of the hyraulic parts and rubber , so they come back looking and operating like new.

Good Luck on keep that Midliner on the road.

Firemack

• Like 1

I was wondering if yours was a MS250 series or not when I said the MS200 had straight hydraulic brakes. One of mine was a MS250, (air over hydraulic), the other a CS300 which had full air brakes.

Rob

I am really not sure, I am a real newby to this stuff. I love the looks of the truck and the fact that it had a derrik/digger on the back of it was even better for my landscaping biz here in Fla. On the title it only states it's a 1987 Mack MS 2

I am learning all I can about it and I really appreciate all your input.

Thanks again for your time

Mike

Guys,

I know that most of the posts on this site are about airbrakes and Mack/Watts doesn't have much for hydraulic brakes and parts- since some of the older trucks use hydraulics- having them rebuilt is key. The best guy I have found is Whitepost in Virginia. Cost is about $80-$100 per wheel cylinder and is a 1 day turnaround. They also do master cylinders, hydro vacs and relining. I used a Transaxle for my relining. Also Whitepost offers a lifetime warranty on the parts so once their done- you don't need to worry about them again as they sleeve the cylinders with brass so no more rust in the cylinders. They also have all of the hyraulic parts and rubber , so they come back looking and operating like new.

Good Luck on keep that Midliner on the road.

Firemack

Sweet!! Thanks for the info! Looks like I will be keepin her on the road after all. I like drivin this thing better than any of my new stuff. I only have smaller trucks though , 06 F350 and 07 Fuso crew cab. At the cheap price the MS 2's are goin for it would be cool to have a few.

I am gonna have to get in contact with Whitepost and get the brakes out to em

Thanks again

Mike

Sweet!! Thanks for the info! Looks like I will be keepin her on the road after all. I like drivin this thing better than any of my new stuff. I only have smaller trucks though , 06 F350 and 07 Fuso crew cab. At the cheap price the MS 2's are goin for it would be cool to have a few.

I am gonna have to get in contact with Whitepost and get the brakes out to em

Thanks again

Mike

I had very good service from both of mine in rollback car carrier service. They were economical to operate and parts were readily available, (though mostly through a Mack dealer). I did not find them any more expensive to operate and maintain than the International brand truck I had prior. Most parts were delivered either next day, or 2nd day to my door.

Rob