Cummins HELP, oil in filter

jaysm35a2

Hey guys, I fully serviced my truck myself, everything. I drove it in a parade about a month ago , 50 -60 miles total. parked it, I repainted the truck and all , I cranked t today to take it out of the garage and let it idle about 15-20 min. I shut it off to change my air filter, opened the can and I see a puddle of engine oil in the housing. I left the filter in place and cranked it again and it drips oil as the engines running from the housing. What would cause that? It has correct oil levels , and oil pressure ,etc. Its a horizontal filter housing.

Engine is a CUMMINS 6CTA 8.3 6CYL .

Thanks for any help guys.

Hey there, If the oil seal is blown in the turbo, it could very well be pushing oil out, back into the intake. Pull the breather plumping off at the intake side of the turbo and see if you have oil there. If you don't, then its probably the air compressor, like the early poster said.

I will do that tomorrow. Im going to sound like the new kid by asking this, but if a seal is blown what could something like that cost? Would a shop like KW or Mack fix that seal for me? Should I buy a new or take off turbo? Thank you for the help , didn't have the money for this but its part of the hobby I guess.

You have engine oil coming out of your air filter housing? Is this housing located above the engine? If so between gravity and suction down the intake pipe its nearly impossible. Can you post a pic of where the oil is coming from? A C series Cummins is an extremely reliable engine with great power to weight, good choice for a repower. I'm just lost on how oil could run uphill to an air filter housing with air trying to pull it into the engine. However if the housing is located below the turbo I can see where a seal may be bad and risidual oil ran down after shutoff maybe even a little during idle with high oil pressure.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Please post a pic of the housing and what you have dripping out.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I will , im going take a picture. Its dripping when running for sure, maybe a little when shut down , not sure. A picture will help, but the filter can is lower than the engine , but the air intake goes up as high as the cab.

Also could the draft tube be clogged and cause it?

Edit , I wasn't able to get to the garage today , I had to drive bright red Freightliner all over Denver today.

pull your air suction and discharge piping off your turbo and check for oil in the turbo if your environment is clean start eng. and observe turbo discharge DO NOT GET FINGERS CLOTHING OR ANY THING ELSE YOU WANT TO KEEP NEAR TURBO INTAKE!!!!! hold a piece of cardboard close to discharge and see if you get oil splatters.if so rebuild or swap turbo. if crank case breather is plugged it could maybe cause the turbo seal falure. also to small or to restrictred air filter will cause a seal falure