Frame Changes

Hello, I am new to this forum and like what I see so far. I am hoping there is a Mack guru out there that can answer my questions. I have been trying to figure out when the frame width changes on the Mack CH and CX models and what years they took place. Also why is there a CX, CXN, CXP and CXU? What are the differences?

Hello, I am new to this forum and like what I see so far. I am hoping there is a Mack guru out there that can answer my questions. I have been trying to figure out when the frame width changes on the Mack CH and CX models and what years they took place. Also why is there a CX, CXN, CXP and CXU? What are the differences?

Oh come on there has to be someone that knows this. Please help me out.

CX - Vision (Pre Volvo)

CXN - PNG (New "Advantage Chassis")

CXP - Fusion (New cab, MP engine)

CXU - US07 (DPF)

CX? - US10

In 2005 you could get the "N" stlye frames, we called them "volvo frames" they are wider at the front and allowes for a better radiator/aftercooler setup plus they are alot easyer to work on versus the 2004 cx/ch with the ASET AC engine. The "P" style means it has the deeper cab behind the driver seat, new style "volvo" dash and MP-7 engine only. The "U" style means same as "P" but MP-7 or MP-8 engine but has DPF exhaust filter. And after working on 3 different MP-8 engines (DPF issues) in the last 4 days I say stick with 2003 or older CX/ CH's and 2006 or older CV/CT's if you do your own services/manintence.

i think but im not real sure but cxn is the start of the volvo frame (junk) that is the start of the down hill slide

The "Volvo" frame may not work as well for construction trucks. However, I finally got a chance to drive a CX with the "Volvo" frame at UPS this fall. I was impressed- the old CHs were great, but the "Volvo" frame is a big improvement with better ride and tighter turning radius. YMMV...

BTW, got my retirement paperwork today- looks like my last day at UPS two weeks ago will be my last day trucking for a living. I got to spend that day in a Mack Vision- no way would I end my trucking career in anything but a Mack! The pension plan requires that I not work in the same field, but I can still drive a Mack for fun... Maybe I should start shopping for a Mack?

:mack1: it is not only a volvo frame the took the good things from booth frames and made a new frame for mack and also for volvo this is only going about costs building together a frame is much cheaper booth brands have a new frame and by mack was it cxn n=new greetings rene :mack1:

:mack1: it is not only a volvo frame the took the good things from booth frames and made a new frame for mack and also for volvo this is only going about costs building together a frame is much cheaper booth brands have a new frame and by mack was it cxn n=new greetings rene :mack1:

I will agree, as we have had no crossmember failures or any other frame problems with the "N" frame like we did with the regular CX/CH. I replaced alot of crossmembers behind the cab and under the 5th wheel on the CX/CH when they were used to pull tankers and when used offroad/farm use.

The "Volvo" frame may not work as well for construction trucks. However, I finally got a chance to drive a CX with the "Volvo" frame at UPS this fall. I was impressed- the old CHs were great, but the "Volvo" frame is a big improvement with better ride and tighter turning radius. YMMV...

BTW, got my retirement paperwork today- looks like my last day at UPS two weeks ago will be my last day trucking for a living. I got to spend that day in a Mack Vision- no way would I end my trucking career in anything but a Mack! The pension plan requires that I not work in the same field, but I can still drive a Mack for fun... Maybe I should start shopping for a Mack?

I read on a TRUCK magazine, that the new "ADVANTAGE" and "CORNERSTONE" chassis are not al 100% VOLVO and they still have some MACK breed on them as 50 % of components are MACK built.

I hope things turn better for MACK trucks. Yes they have the capabilities of building their own engines. Who knows. Maybe after all those MP Series Engines are indeed built by MACK and all the credit is stealed by VOLVO

Edited by EM6285

OK, first thank you for the information. If I have this correct the breakdown goes something like this;

• CH & CX are 2004 and down and pre Volvo

• CXN & CHN are 2005 and up with the Advantage chassis (Volvo) and AC engine

• CXP is 2005 and up Advantage chassis and Pinnacle cab and MP7 engine

• CXU is 2005 and up Advantage chassis and Pinnacle cab and MP7 or MP8 engine with DPF

• CHU is 2005 and up Advantage chassis and Pinnacle cab and MP8 engine

One more question, Why is there different chassis widths? What are the chassis width for the pre-Volvo and the advantage chassis at the front (at the bumper)?

Thank you for your help!

Edited by cronometro

OK, first thank you for the information. If I have this correct the breakdown goes something like this;

• CH & CX are 2004 and down and pre Volvo

• CXN & CHN are 2005 and up with the Advantage chassis (Volvo) and AC engine

• CXP is 2005 and up Advantage chassis and Pinnacle cab and MP7 engine

• CXU is 2005 and up Advantage chassis and Pinnacle cab and MP7 or MP8 engine with DPF

• CHU is 2005 and up Advantage chassis and Pinnacle cab and MP8 engine

One more question, Why is there different chassis widths? What are the chassis width for the pre-Volvo and the advantage chassis at the front (at the bumper)?

Thank you for your help!

In 2004 the ASET engine came out for EPA reasons and after that first year Mack found out that there wasnt enough room for the bigger radiator and aftercooler needed for the ASET's water cooled EGR system, all that extra heat put a strain on the fan belts on the 2004's( ask anyone who had one) under hood temps were so hot they would melt the windshield bottle on the fire wall. Going to the "N" frame standardized the frame parts for the MACK/volvo assembly line. 2004 CX is 34" wide at the front and CXN are 42 and a half if my measurements are correct.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Are the 2004 CH and CX frames the same right down to the drilling? Or are they the same width and general layout but differnt lengths and hole drilling?

As of the new Vovlo style frames is when the drillings changed with the O-Line designation. Prior to the Vovlo style chassis they used A-Line geometry and measurements were in inches. Vovlo style chassis are in metric.

Are the Advantage chassis tractors hauling tankers breaking even under OTR stress or just off-road?

The problems we see are the cross members breaking on the older CX/CH frames, not the new Advantage frames. The trucks were Gas Tankers (Kenan Transport) and chicken feed trucks ( Tyson and Pilgrams Pride older trucks)