05 cv713 gauges shut off while driving

Pull the gauge cluster from the dash...takes about 10 minutes once you find the right bit for your screwdriver. There is a single plugin in the back of the cluster remove it and clean with contact cleaner, clean the plugin and the contact in the back of the cluster. Apply some dielectric grease after cleaning then install the cluster back in the dash...this may fix your problem for hours, days, or weeks or more...i did this to my CV713 for a year about once a month...then ended up buying a new cluster...problem solved. So if the cleaning works for you, set back enough money for a cluster as the truck keeps working.

• 1 month later...

Just out of curiosity here, the service bulletin for the 02 and earlier (03 maybe?) wont apply here? I ask because my truck at work is an 05 vision (sorry don't know my mack model numbers yet) and suffers from gauge drop out constantly, as does the 03 vision, and its not the first mack I have driven that has suffered from gauge drop out, a few granites did the same thing. Its getting irritating at this point.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
On 7/17/2013 at 8:40 PM, Mackmaster862 said:

Seen it a lot definitely a pin loose on circuit board see it all the time but do make sure the the grounds are tight there is a bulletin for that take the wire terminals off the ground bolt and clean them

Where can I get a copy of this "bulletin"? I would like to know where to find all the grounds.

I did the whole bulletin, added the extra ground wire and still ended up replacing the cluster. Found a guy on Ebay with a new cluster, in the box, that passed the production number "test". You have to have them send you a picture of the production number on the "NEW" cluster so you don't end up with a reject outdate. Hopefully Mack threw out the old productions, or they died of natural causes, but there are still some floating around out there, I'm certain.

• 1 month later...

This is accurate for repair.

Cluster fix.pdf

The problem went away for a while, but now it's back. This is on an 08 gu713 granite. All I did was plug and unplug the 3 connectors on the back side of the cluster.

The cluster goes in and out anytime, but primarily at start up.

The cluster will also lock during operation (all gauges stick at current position). The only way to unlock, is to disconnect the ground at the battery. Cycling the key on and off does nothing.

The pdf you attached earlier is for 2002 models and older. Is there something similar for the 2008 models?

Any help is appreciated.

• 2 years later...
8 hours ago, Vision 618 said:

Bummer.  I'm still going to add the new ground to number 35 on the plug just to see but I won't be surprised if it doesn't work.  Thank you!

I’m a few states away from my wiring diagrams, but follow the info stream. I was having a like issues recently, different OEM, and issue was an intermittently failing 30A power relay for a control module. Data would drop out, but allowed the powertrain to function and drive flawlessly and I also would have dozens of communication codes/errors when I’d link in with my laptop. 

I’ve never had the extra ground work, some must have. So long as you don’t monkey-up the wiring splice it can’t hurt to try.

Monkey-up = scotch lock

50 minutes ago, Mack Technician said:

I’m a few states away from my wiring diagrams, but follow the info stream. I was having a like issues recently, different OEM, and issue was an intermittently failing 30A power relay for a control module. Data would drop out, but allowed the powertrain to function and drive flawlessly and I also would have dozens of communication codes/errors when I’d link in with my laptop. 

I’ve never had the extra ground work, some must have. So long as you don’t monkey-up the wiring splice it can’t hurt to try.

Monkey-up = scotch lock

Thank you.  I'll try the relay as well.  And just say no to scotch lock. Lol

Edited by Vision 618

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same issue with an 03 CV713 and the #35 pin is not populated.  Can someone post a cab or IC hanress diagram so i can trace the grounds.  Cluster goes out and truck looses power bad.  Also how do i disable cluster tamper derate

Clusters go bad a lot on the “Grey engine trucks”  ( non-MP engine trucks). When the clusters go bad there should never be a de-rate issue. You can unplug the cluster and drive it with no performance loss. If the speedo sensor fails you can get engine de-rate if that parameter is turned on. I would first un-plug the low coolant sensor in the coolant reservoir and check the harness plug for coolant. If you have coolant in the harness plug then unplug the 2 connectors on the engine ECM. Coolant in this area can cause cluster data issues.  

• Like 1

The sensor was pushing coolant (THANK YOU).  The ECM connectors have coolant in them but they were damp not dripping coolant.  I cleaned them up. Someone hinted that the main engine power relay could be an issue as well. Is this one of the 4 relays to the left of the fuse panel in pass side dash compartment?  Where is the main engine relay?  The driver can not clarify on how the truck looses power ex. if the engine shuts all the way off.  One described the issue is he notices the gauges go flat and he states on a loaded truck he can not pull a hill faster than around 25mph but that is guessing with no gauge.     

Just to updates on this post i did have a wire populated on the pin but the wire number was different.  We added the ground and ran the truck.  Still did the same thing.  I attempted to disable the vss limiting but tech tool required password to change the parameter.  The dealer has to unlock the password.   

4 hours ago, OSFS said:

The sensor was pushing coolant (THANK YOU).  The ECM connectors have coolant in them but they were damp not dripping coolant.  I cleaned them up. Someone hinted that the main engine power relay could be an issue as well. Is this one of the 4 relays to the left of the fuse panel in pass side dash compartment?  Where is the main engine relay?  The driver can not clarify on how the truck looses power ex. if the engine shuts all the way off.  One described the issue is he notices the gauges go flat and he states on a loaded truck he can not pull a hill faster than around 25mph but that is guessing with no gauge.     

Just to updates on this post i did have a wire populated on the pin but the wire number was different.  We added the ground and ran the truck.  Still did the same thing.  I attempted to disable the vss limiting but tech tool required password to change the parameter.  The dealer has to unlock the password.   

Did you add the Anti-capillary jumper to your new coolant sensor for insurance against it happening again?

Also, If you have an AI engine, which you likely do, they don't have any low end torque. Software and mods can get it running right. 

Click on header...

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the good read.  I wanted to post our fix for this situation.  I got better information that the gauges dropped first and then the power loss came.  We inspected the VSS  We found the VSS sensor was damaged.  No codes were stored in the ECM.   We also replaced all 4 relays in the pass side dash for good measure.  Truck has not cut out since.  Thank you for all the help 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I have a 04 granite with the dash problem described in the above postings.  Before removing dash or relays, I disconnected the three batteries to test and found one to have a dead short.  Replaced battery and problem was fixed.  Also, if connecting bolts come loose, may cause same problem.  Hope this helps.

• 2 years later...