Pete 379 vs. 359

h67st

379 was available in 119" and 127" bbc. I think the 359 was also available in two lengths. Most 379's I've seen had the longer hood.

Nowadays the 389 has the extended hood and the 388 has the shorter hood.

The 359 also came in a 113". The easiest way to tell the difference between a 359 and 379 is the air cleaner mounting. The 359 has the rubber hose exposed (like a R model). The 379 has the air cleaner mounted tight against the cab with no hose showing. The 389 has tear drop headlights.

I've often asked why are there any Peterbilts,period!!!

Mack is definitely a better truck, but Pete makes a good one too...especially if you're gonna run all interstate. There's a lot worse trucks out there than Pete.

I've got 2 friends with pete 359's.One is a 1974 with a Big Cam 400, the other has a 1984 with a 3406B Model Cat.These are very nice work trucks and one advantage they have over us people with the old Mack trucks is they can readily buy parts.If they need a radiator they can order one at a Pete dealer, or from Detroit Radiator, or many other aftermarket sources. If they need exhaust parts once again Pete ,Grand Rock,Walker and the list goes on.When I needed these items for my 1984 Superliner the local Mack dealer said"sorry,no longer available". I'm certainly not going to knock the Peterbilt brand.

Steve

• Like 1

When I worked in Louisiana, we had a short hood 359 lowboy truck, an extended hood 359 lowboy truck, a short hood 379 dump trailer rig, and an extended hood 379 that would switch hit from lowboy to dump trailer. Both the 359's were good looking trucks, as was the extended hood 379, but the short hood 379 was pretty ugly. I can't really tell them from 378's.

Jake

When I worked in Louisiana, we had a short hood 359 lowboy truck, an extended hood 359 lowboy truck, a short hood 379 dump trailer rig, and an extended hood 379 that would switch hit from lowboy to dump trailer. Both the 359's were good looking trucks, as was the extended hood 379, but the short hood 379 was pretty ugly. I can't really tell them from 378's.

the 378 hood is fiberglass and alum shroud is more rounderat the top. The 379 short hood is all aluminum like the ext 379.