Fuel Supply Pump

leversole

The B has been down...it ran out of fuel and died...filters were changed last year and not many miles put thru them...before I spend the money on new filters, I figured I would test the pump...

I took the line to the supply pump (from the primary filter) off and put it in a bucket of fuel. Cranked a bunch and nothing...the hand primer doesnt pick up anything either, so I assume the pump has something jammed in one of the seats or the plunger is worn to the point where it wont pick up..

Anyhow, does any know where I can get a new supply pump...injector is a bosch APE...engine is a 1973 675...

Thanks

The B has been down...it ran out of fuel and died...filters were changed last year and not many miles put thru them...before I spend the money on new filters, I figured I would test the pump...

I took the line to the supply pump (from the primary filter) off and put it in a bucket of fuel. Cranked a bunch and nothing...the hand primer doesnt pick up anything either, so I assume the pump has something jammed in one of the seats or the plunger is worn to the point where it wont pick up..

Anyhow, does any know where I can get a new supply pump...injector is a bosch APE...engine is a 1973 675...

Thanks

Leslie--

She's mad at you for paying so much attention to the Superdog!!!

Ron

• Like 1

Thanks

Thanks Check the plastic check valves in the supply pump, mine sticks once in a while and wont start or pump up when it sits for a while. i take them out and put them back in and it will pump up and start. Ron

Make sure you observe the width of the roller on the pump you take off if its a wide roller your OK if the roller is a narrow roller you can cause your self problems Compare the pump your putting in to the pump your taking off! Wide on narrow is ok narrow to wide is a problem.

I have taking the supply pumps off before and compared them like this. The guy from the local pump shop said to put the pump in bpth hands (roller facing away from u and fingers on it) try to pump push it in by tightening your grip. The old one icould squeeze a little and the new one was impossible. It may have just been a one and a million shot but it I sis notice a difference.

As a note to some of u guys the pump shop did say the 350 supply pumps did flow a little more than the 300s.

• 2 weeks later...

Well..the weather was so nice this afternoon I put some attention back to the B model's fuel issue...the local place is out of the primary filter I need...so...I rigged up a gravity flow into the supply pump, she started right up (after enough cranking the get the injectors and lines full)...so my guess now is that the primary filter must be plugged, and/or the pump is kinda weak...anywho, if the weather holds, i'll go get a Mack filter and give her a shot...

Replaced the filters yesterday...no dice! Used the "Rob method" pumping air into the fuel tank...got fuel to the pump...no start....a three foot section of hose (to the supply pump) would not pick up out of a fuel can filled with fuel...pump must be dead...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...
3 hours ago, AaronEdwards said:

I am looking for a supply pump for a 1980 Mack U apparently this pump is different than an R model.  Anyone know where I can locate one?

Depends what style injection pumps are on them, if injection  pumps are the same, lift pump should be the same on that era of engine.   terry:MackLogo: