Mack Tankers

kmeitz

Gilbertsville had 3 U model's at one time, two tractors and a tanker. The tanker had originally been a tractor. I am told the one pictured ended up at Grandview, a local dirt track, as the track waterer. I have never gone to look for it. The other tractor was sold a couple of years ago. They told me $8000. I put a lowball offer of $4500 for the tractor and aluminum tandem axle tank trailer. I don't know where it ended up, but I think I have pictures of it and the tanker. I was given Gilbersville's R190 International that pulled a tanker before the U models. It went to a concrete plant and now doesn't have a straight piece of metal on it.

As for PA Mack fire trucks, I have several. You should stop by and see them since you are near by. You can see some pictures in my gallery. I am having computer problems and am unable to post pictures right now. Mike

• Like 1

Gilbertsville had 3 U model's at one time, two tractors and a tanker. The tanker had originally been a tractor. I am told the one pictured ended up at Grandview, a local dirt track, as the track waterer. I have never gone to look for it. The other tractor was sold a couple of years ago. They told me $8000. I put a lowball offer of $4500 for the tractor and aluminum tandem axle tank trailer. I don't know where it ended up, but I think I have pictures of it and the tanker. I was given Gilbersville's R190 International that pulled a tanker before the U models. It went to a concrete plant and now doesn't have a straight piece of metal on it.

As for PA Mack fire trucks, I have several. You should stop by and see them since you are near by. You can see some pictures in my gallery. I am having computer problems and am unable to post pictures right now. Mike

Man, somebody better get down to Grandview to that dirt track and see if there's a U model there. Thanks for the info Mike.

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

Back in the early 1970s when the "MB" model fire engine was introduced, many small, volunteer fire departments operated apparatus mounted on

commercial chassis such as Ford, GMC, IH, etc. The Mack "MB" was an entry into the "custom" fire apparatus world for these departments. Departments now

had an affordable engine that incorporated the safety of a jump seat plus other "big city" features. Later, these departments could move into Mack "CF"s,

Spartan, ALF, and other custom apparatus.

While the "MB" was a commercial chassis, Mack made the fire apparatus version a "custom" by adding fire department features such as dual ignitions, beefed

up suspensions, electrical systems, safety features, etc. required by the NFPA. This was also done to "custom" "R" model fire apparatus.

bulldogboy

post-146-0-05346600-1361121040_thumb.jpg

This picture taken late 60's when the Town of Holden MA just completed the work on this B60 and tank trailer for fire service.

It was an all volunteer department then and most or all the work was done by them, the now Captian scanned and colored this picture

for me. The fire station was across the street from the High School and this unit was parked on the lower level side door, and would

always see the chrome shell in the window riding the bus (68-71)

It was sold at auction in the 80's and the guy put a 237 and made a dump truck, He has the 464 and unishift trans ,which I posted for sale

awhile ago.

FW

• Like 1

Back in the late 1970s there were a few departments near me that had tractor trailer tankers with "U" model tractors. Wish that I had taken

pictures of them back then. They weren't very practical so were replaced by newer straight chassis tankers.

fifth wheel: the website; www.firenews.org has a section on N.E. fire apparatus past and present. Under Holden, MA they mention the Mack "B"

tanker but have no photo of it. Any chance that you could scan the Mack tanker photo to them? The webmaster is John Galla and he is always

looking for N.E. fire photos.

bulldogboy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...