1966 B61

Toller

Check out this B61. Be sure to click through some of the middle pictures to see the jerry-rigging on the turbo:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=130756853005

I have one of this truck's "brothers." According to Mack's build records, a company out of Maryland bought eight mixers, all with identical specs. I now have one (which is now a dump), this is another. They were some of the last B61s made -- only maybe 200 more after these. They all had a 673C N/A, so with the oil-cooled pistons the conversion to a turbo would have been fairly easy. I've thought about doing it myself to get the 250 horses, but I've decided to keep it factory correct -- it's not like I'm pulling any weight, and I like the sound of the old 205 horses. Plus, all these rigs were set up with 7.49 rears, so they top out at about 50 mph with me standing on the petal. Needing extra power's not the issue. Frame on this one looks better than mine, but otherwise mine got way better taken care of -- no rust to speak of. Miles are pretty similar.

Wouldn't mind having the pair of them and putting them back together. The price seems right even with the rough body, but I don't have the coins in my pocket at the present time. Plus, that is one funky retrofit on the turbo; never saw anything quite like it. That's gotta bring the value down, don'tcha think? Hope it finds a good home. If any of you is interested, let me know. I can send a copy of the build record.

Jay

• Like 1

I didn't see anything cobbled on the turbo,but that air cleaner set up leaves alot to be desired.

Right, I didn't say that right. Nothing's wrong with the turbo set-up itself, but the air cleaner is mounted awfully funny. Maybe you could get away with that on a mixer, but hard to see how it works for anything else.

It looks like the truck has had some work to it. It looks like a 237 with the oiler cooler, spin-on oil filter,s and water filter. That is homemade air cleaner mount behind the cab because that style cleaner won't fit to well in the normal spot. The cab looks like it may not be original or had some work to it beacuse it doesn't have a vent or opening for the air cleaner. That's not to say that someone could have filled in the opening and did body work to it. I wonder what type of mixer it had on it. Maybe it had a small pony motor to drive it on the behind the cab. The bumper does't have a pump mount and I couldn't tell if the rad support is the low-slung type for a front pump drive from the crank?

Interesting way to get air to the turbo!!

My mixer uses a PTO and pump driven directly off the flywheel and mounted on the bell housing for want of a better word. This B has some potential. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

yup, has the water filer and thermostat housin of a 237 and spin on filters. could be an end673c. i think id just cut a hole in the bottom of the dump box for that air cleaner to clear haha. looks like the cab might be a retrofit off a B20 or B30 or B42 without the outside air cleaner? althought 220 cummins is right, someone could hve patched over it. sticks looks weird to, aweful far back in the cab... maybe its just me and also does not have the underslung radiator crossmember and horsecollar to clear the pto shaft that mixers and plow trucks had. must be pretty tough hearing old Waylon jennings on the cd player while listening to that air cleaner hose whistling all the air thru the cab.

• Like 1

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

I'm i big fan of the intake hose running right through the cab. that's classy.

That gives me an even better idea! No one rides with me so I would put the air cleaner where the passenger seat is! Then, I could roll my window down and get some f**king airflow thru the cab wit' dat' air cleaner a suckin! :banana:

• 2 weeks later...

kelly52591@hotmail.com is my email if that will work

OK, let me see if I can scan and get the build record to you in the next couple of days. The copy I have is hard to read in some places (it's already a copy of a 45 year old piece of paper), but I think I can scan it and get it to you. Enjoy the truck. I've enjoyed tinkering on mine.