Firetruck Macks

Shawn Barrett

Great collection.

When you look at those pictures and think of all the various other applications where Macks are used, It really puts in perspective the contribution Mack has made to society.

The first section I went to was the B's to see an open top model. One of the towns I grew up in was Westbury, Long Island so it was nice to see pictures of one from Baldwin, LI which is only a few miles from Westbury.

FDNY had at least F model tandem axle tractor. I hope I can find a pic of it.

Jim

The F model is the pumper portion of FDNY's Super Pumper System which consisted of the pump unit, the super tender, and three satelite units.

The design was done by a naval architect and was meant to emulate a land based fire boat. The pump and super tender did not work out great, but the satelite units proved valuable enough that they kept them in use.

Here is an excellent article on the system http://www.fireengines.net/reviews/sp/history.htm

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

The F model is the pumper portion of FDNY's Super Pumper System which consisted of the pump unit, the super tender, and three satelite units.

The design was done by a naval architect and was meant to emulate a land based fire boat. The pump and super tender did not work out great, but the satelite units proved valuable enough that they kept them in use.

Here is an excellent article on the system http://www.fireengin.../sp/history.htm

Thats impressive. Id like to see that operation in full swing.

The F model is the pumper portion of FDNY's Super Pumper System which consisted of the pump unit, the super tender, and three satelite units. The design was done by a naval architect and was meant to emulate a land based fire boat. The pump and super tender did not work out great, but the satelite units proved valuable enough that they kept them in use. Here is an excellent article on the system http://www.fireengines.net/reviews/sp/history.htm

That was a very interesting article - I had heard about it, in fact I think I remember a news story about it in the 80's. Why did they stop using it and why did the satelite units work longer?

Is that a water canon on the F model? If so it is huge, would like to know how many GPM that would do.

The Superpumper was rated at 8800 GPM at 350 PSI or 4400 GPM at 700 PSI. However, in actuality the Superpumper was limited by

the size of the water mains supplying it. The monitors (water cannons) on the satellites were rated at 4000 GPM so I would guess that the

Tender monitor would be similar.

There is a book, "The F.D.N.Y. Super Pumper System" by John A. Calderone that gives an in depth story of the Super Pumper. I have heard

that this book is in print again.

That was a very interesting article - I had heard about it, in fact I think I remember a news story about it in the 80's. Why did they stop using it and why did the satelite units work longer?

Like the rest of us the Superpumper got old and required a lot of maintenance. In practice the FDNY found that the satellites did the bulk of the work, were more manuverable, and more

effective. The satellites live on as a legacy of the Super Pumper system. Too bad the pumper and tender did not end up in the FDNY museum.

bulldogboy

Edited by bulldogboy

Too bad the pumper and tender did not end up in the FDNY museum.

The Super Tender is owned by a gentleman in Northern California. It is fully restored and makes regular appearances at Fire Musters and Parades. The Pumper is owned by a gentleman in Michigan somewhere, who has a private fire museum. I have seen pictures of it- the tractor and trailer underwent a cosmetic-only restoration, and from what I could tell in the pictures that I have seen not a very good one. I understand the engine in the tractor is blown. The engine in the trailer (IIRC a 24 cylinder Napier-Deltic) would obviously require quite a substantial amount of money to overhaul. I have also heard that the gentlman who owns it has it inside a newer pole barn, to keep it out of the elements which is good, but unfortunately he does not have much money.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

my son and I now own one of the'L' model mack pumpers featured in the cape cod group ,photos of it on pages 6,7,8 it was lettered a TUNBRIDGE , it was also in the line up of several 'L's in a row, most photos where taken in the late 90's, we purchased the truck in 2009 and did a off frame restoration, just got it back on the road in dec 2011, readying for the parade and muster circuit now.

• 3 weeks later...

On a sad note, the 3 Satellite C model Macks were sent out to Long Island to a company called ComCoach, which replaced the whole body with a plastic cab and body, IIRC. I cannot find the pictures of the before and after, but it was sickening to see what was done to those 3 rigs.

If it ain't a Mack, it ain't Jack!!!!!! :)

The Super Tender has retired to Hemet, California. It is safe in our barn. The model of the tender is so perfect that they put the patches in the sheet metal doors I added in the early 90's.

Great - can you post some photos?