Tore up a $1000.00 today:

Rob

This damned B model project is starting to get expensive. Today I picked up my first load of new parts which is kinda small but consisted of a new pair of "Gunite" brake drums, a PP7 valve, PP1 valve, (both Haldex), a ride height valve, (Euclid), two quick release valves, (Haldex), and two new air bags, (Continental). Ordered but not paid for are four new "U" bolts, suspension bushing rebuild kits for the spring eye(s), and leaf spring center bolts. The bushings were so worn out I can't begin to adjust for driveline angle because everything would shift taking up slop any time a jack was placed under anything. Nothing has come apart easy on this thing neither. Everything that has to come loose has taken a lot of heating with a torch. I cut the "U" bolts as there was no way they were coming out of the axle housing seats without destroying something. I still need to get hold of some nylon insulators for between the spring leaves, and caster shims to adjust the pinion angle.

Might be worth getting Glenn up here to help cause I'd certainly appreciate some of his expert advise.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Rob, if you get tired of it I would be happy to come load it up and bring it back to PA!

I got to throw some more "stupid money" at it before I get tired. Nothing out of the ordinary there and then pushed out to the back.........

What rear suspension is in your truck?

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

What rear suspension is in your truck?

Rob

CDRP 92 & 93...38K camelback springs...SWD5701 carrier...cast axle caps are cone type 40K (I am told) 5.73 ratio...all of the numbers match the build sheet...someone must have added the axle caps at some point...

Oh yeah...checked the front rear brakes today and both chambers are leaking (small wagner type)

CDRP 92 & 93...38K camelback springs...SWD5701 carrier...cast axle caps are cone type 40K (I am told) 5.73 ratio...all of the numbers match the build sheet...someone must have added the axle caps at some point...

Oh yeah...checked the front rear brakes today and both chambers are leaking (small wagner type)

Roto chambers, or piston type? Why were you needing rear brake spiders? Maybe you said and I just don't remember.........

Rob

Not sure which type, I thought they were rotochambers, but they have a piston I'm sure...I want the steel early style spiders and brakes so I can put modern brake chambers on...plus, my spider casting (chamber mounts) are all bent!

post-6773-0-07031300-1326002055_thumb.jp

Those are the piston type chambers, size 20 cubic inch. You should be able to heat those and bend them back, then install type 24/24 type chambers directly in their place.

Rob

Bent or not, they will not fit!

post-6773-0-38704000-1326035963_thumb.jp

I didn't realize you had the "thick" castings. No, they won't fit as shown. It can be worked with however. Would you be interested in four of the offsetting brackets if I have some made? It would keep the cost down to have more than just a few laser cut. You would then be able to run an offset slack adjuster and add spring brakes.

When I checked last, if they layout and cut 100 of them, they drop in price quite substantially.

I could bring the to the ATHS show next summer, or Lititz.

Rob

Thanks Rob, but I will probably replace the entire rears eventually for a more favorable gear ratio...plus, I really want 4 spring brakes, and even with offset brackets, I could not use them (without "clocking") on the front rears as the chambers point "backwards" and spring brakes would hit the springs...

They style I really like (mostly aesthetics) are the early version stamped steel where the front rears face forward and are angled down....I just have to find the years and models they came on,,,

post-6773-0-36485100-1326040661_thumb.jp

Thanks Rob, but I will probably replace the entire rears eventually for a more favorable gear ratio...plus, I really want 4 spring brakes, and even with offset brackets, I could not use them (without "clocking") on the front rears as the chambers point "backwards" and spring brakes would hit the springs...

They style I really like (mostly aesthetics) are the early version stamped steel where the front rears face forward and are angled down....I just have to find the years and models they came on,,,

post-6773-0-36485100-1326040661_thumb.jp

My 72, 77, and 78 R models have that style. I plan to use the 72 spiders on my 58 B model as a drag winch truck with four spring brakes also.

Rob