Camelback Vs. Air Ride

Does anyone know how much of a weight difference there is between a Camelback suspension and an Air ride suspension?

Thanks in advance,

Scott

:mack1:

I'm looking for a V8 Superliner and I don't know what suspension I want under the old dog. I have found them with airride however they want an arm and a leg. I've found some with Camelback suspension for reasonable prices. What suspension do you guys prefer? I want to pull an end dump with it plus take it to truck pulls.

Looking at the spec book again, The RW613 was standard with the MACK Air-AL40(For highway application only). If you spec the Neway it adds 102 to 232 lbs. If you spec the 38k multileaf it adds 558 lbs. If you spec the 44k axle and multileaf it adds 877lbs.

Looking at the spec book again,  The RW613 was standard with the MACK Air-AL40(For highway application only).  If you spec the Neway it adds 102 to 232 lbs.  If you spec the 38k multileaf it adds 558 lbs.  If you spec the 44k axle and multileaf it adds 877lbs.

I pulled a broken trunion and both rear springs and hauled them to the scrap yard. The total weight was 1400 lbs. The International air ride is maybe 450lbs for a single axle. Hope that helps!

Packer

Keep a clutchin'

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure the camelback weighs more than an airride, but if you are going to be doing any offroading or truck pulling I would recomend the camelback. We have both airride and camelbacks and do offroad and hiway hauling. The camelbacks do better in the dirt. If you decide to go with an airride make sure you install a differential lock. This seams to help them a little. :mack1:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I would recommend the camelback if your doing any dirt work, and truck pulling also, the only way air ride is an advantage if your pulling is if you can get away with putting high flow dump trailer air ride valves instead of the typical air ride valves then you can fill more air and try to top out the sled, guys that pull petes and kenworths by us cheat and do it that way so we did it on my grandparents e9 superdog and they caught us and DQed us, my truck im running 3 leaf mack suspension its only 38k but it rides beautiful and is better off road than air ride, for truck pulling camelback is awesome you get a good squat and better traction. ~Jon

• 3 weeks later...

I found a 96 CH frame at a salvage yard, it has the hendrickson built airride with mack rearends, i thought about sliding the frame over the top of the B61 frame, i was wandering if the hendrickson airride was a good suspension or i should go with mack airride, i all ready have a newway out of a superliner, but i dont like the arms that hang under the rearend, which is the better of the 3, i can buy the frame and rearends for $1000 they have 421000 miles on them , it has 4.42rears, what speed would it run with a RTO14613 and 22.5 hitred tires. thanks Ron

• 1 month later...

Mack air ride and Hendricksen air ride are the Same! It is ( I think0 the best aire ride out there. As far as the 13 speed with 4.42 rears... It will about 60 wide open. I had this problem with my RD when I upgraded from a Fuller 9 to 13. eNDED UP HAVING TO CHANGE REARS FROM 4.42 TO 3.63. Now I can pass the so called "Big Trucks" on the road. If you do not want that cut off with the hendrickson air ride on it get a hold of me cause I would like to have it.

:bulldog1:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Storkmack, i bought that airride put it under my B61 , i found another one out of a newer CH, it has Mack stamped on the hangers, the guy said he wanted $1500 and cut the frame were i wanted it without the diff. Ron

Could you please get some contact infromation on that cut off. thanks,Brad

Brad i cannot figger out my email, do you want to call me or post it on here, where are you located, it is on 10 hole budds, dont know what type of budds, one hanger is broke but he said he would throw one in on the deal, thanks let me know. Ron

Brad i cannot figger out my email, do you want to call me or post it on here, where are you located, it is on 10 hole budds, dont know what type of budds, one hanger is broke but he said he would throw one in on the deal, thanks let me know.      Ron

storkmunch@northboone.com