Mack 866 On The Dyno

Well it went on the dyno today, made a whopping 190hp!engine temp good, fuel pressure 33lbs, oil pressure 28lbs, max boost was only 12lbs, plenty of black smoke out the exhaust, so what could be the problem? did find a minor fuel leak, so got that to fix, but 190hp an 12lbs boost.

Grant

Well it went on the dyno today, made a whopping 190hp!engine temp good, fuel pressure 33lbs, oil pressure 28lbs, max boost was only 12lbs, plenty of black smoke out the exhaust, so what could be the problem? did find a minor fuel leak, so got that to fix, but 190hp an 12lbs boost.

Grant

I'm guessing you need turbocharger attention. Plenty of black smoke tells me the fueling is adequate at this stage but 12psi boost pressure seems a bit low.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I'm guessing you need turbocharger attention. Plenty of black smoke tells me the fueling is adequate at this stage but 12psi boost pressure seems a bit low.

Rob

Hi, can here the turbo spooling up, theres no waistgate on them or anything. are they the same turbo as the six?

Grant

Hi, can here the turbo spooling up, theres no waistgate on them or anything. are they the same turbo as the six?

Grant

No, they are quite different. The turbochargers on the V8's are quite loud with quiet exhaust and you should hear it pretty good under a load.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

The book I have says 22 psi at full load rated speed, 375 hp @ 2200 rpm and 1040 lb ft @ 1600 rpm for the ENDT866, 355 hp @ 2100 rpm and 1040 lb ft @ 1500 rpm for the ENDT866C, and 325 hp @ 2100 rpm and 1000 lb ft @ 1500 rpm for the ENDDT866.

• Like 1

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

The book I have says 22 psi at full load rated speed, 375 hp @ 2200 rpm and 1040 lb ft @ 1600 rpm for the ENDT866, 355 hp @ 2100 rpm and 1040 lb ft @ 1500 rpm for the ENDT866C, and 325 hp @ 2100 rpm and 1000 lb ft @ 1500 rpm for the ENDDT866.

Hi, the turbo is certainly noisy, can here it spooling up, the exhaust is twin 5inch, no mufflers. i never thought till 3am that maybe the air cleaners are restricting it as there off a stationary engine.

if it needed more boost and the turbo does not have a waist gate those air cleaners would have to be the only issue? I never thought to pop the pick up off the turbo intake.

other than making no power it did well, all vital signs happy so not bad for a 30 year old engine that you cant buy parts for.

he was worried about blowing it up to. My response was if it cant handle a dyno then it wont be able to pull a roadtrain will it. :)

Grant

Hi, the turbo is certainly noisy, can here it spooling up, the exhaust is twin 5inch, no mufflers. i never thought till 3am that maybe the air cleaners are restricting it as there off a stationary engine.

if it needed more boost and the turbo does not have a waist gate those air cleaners would have to be the only issue? I never thought to pop the pick up off the turbo intake.

other than making no power it did well, all vital signs happy so not bad for a 30 year old engine that you cant buy parts for.

he was worried about blowing it up to. My response was if it cant handle a dyno then it wont be able to pull a roadtrain will it. :)

Grant

Stationary engine air cleaners typically flow better than their "on road" counterparts because they are not silenced. They are usually louder also. I would ensure they are not resticting the airflow. I suppose I assumed that was already ruled out with the amout of work you have put into the rebuild. Certainly mean no offense cause we all forget sometimes.

Rob

Stationary engine air cleaners typically flow better than their "on road" counterparts because they are not silenced. They are usually louder also. I would ensure they are not resticting the airflow. I suppose I assumed that was already ruled out with the amout of work you have put into the rebuild. Certainly mean no offense cause we all forget sometimes.

Rob

Hi, they worked the opposite way. the air intake on these air cleaners is now the exhaust, they were horizontal mount on the stationary motor, now there vertical. but in saying that the air cleaner is 2feet long.

Grant

Hi, they worked the opposite way. the air intake on these air cleaners is now the exhaust, they were horizontal mount on the stationary motor, now there vertical. but in saying that the air cleaner is 2feet long.

Grant

Typically air cleaners are meant to flow only one direction. Some incorporate steering vanes internal to the unit to lessen restriction. Causing the airflow to route in reverse of design criteria cannot be good.

Rob

Typically air cleaners are meant to flow only one direction. Some incorporate steering vanes internal to the unit to lessen restriction. Causing the airflow to route in reverse of design criteria cannot be good.

Rob

will fix the few little issues it has, then take it back and pop the intake pipe off and run it that way. I dont know why I didnt think of it while i was there.

all in all tho, the truck looks reasonable and it sounds nice.

well off for the weekend, back monday.

Grant

will fix the few little issues it has, then take it back and pop the intake pipe off and run it that way. I dont know why I didnt think of it while i was there.

all in all tho, the truck looks reasonable and it sounds nice.

well off for the weekend, back monday.

Grant

Has anyone got a complete pump with transfer pump out there for sale? one of the leaks is on the pipe base that goes into pump and also there has been alot of water in the tranfer pump. it may be best to replace it.

Grant

Has anyone got a complete pump with transfer pump out there for sale? one of the leaks is on the pipe base that goes into pump and also there has been alot of water in the tranfer pump. it may be best to replace it.

Grant

I have an extra pump but would not be willing to ship it that far being unknown. I've never seen the engine run and I think it's stuck from sitting but supposedly ran well when in a truck.

I

It is an 865 pump without "Dynatard". I'll get it off the engine and send it in for testing. I'll be in Chicago/Naperville all next week, would you like it shipped from there?

Rob

I have an extra pump but would not be willing to ship it that far being unknown. I've never seen the engine run and I think it's stuck from sitting but supposedly ran well when in a truck.

I

It is an 865 pump without "Dynatard". I'll get it off the engine and send it in for testing. I'll be in Chicago/Naperville all next week, would you like it shipped from there?

Rob

Hi, have emailed you. I rebuilt the transfer pump today. fuel pressure went up 10 lbs. found some sort of plastic in top of transfer pump, it has come out of the new hose. hopefully this will help its drain back?? also got an inline primer pump to. will try get it on the dyno in next couple of weeks.

Grant

Hi, have emailed you. I rebuilt the transfer pump today. fuel pressure went up 10 lbs. found some sort of plastic in top of transfer pump, it has come out of the new hose. hopefully this will help its drain back?? also got an inline primer pump to. will try get it on the dyno in next couple of weeks.

Grant

I have a new turbo for an 866 still in the box. Bought it several years ago from my local Mack dealer(excess inventory). If you are interested I'll get the part # and you can check to see if it will work on your application.

• 2 weeks later...

Grant

gday mate hows it all going? has your truck got a pyro fitted? If not try an infared ray gun and check your exhaust manifold for temperature. If its getting fairly hot under load then you have an air restriction or lack of boost. -Providing your fuel pressurs is right. Has it got any sort of puff limiter fitted? And of course make sure you are getting full throttle on the pump, and make sure your stopper lever isnt partly holding the rack. They are some easy checks mate, and it sounds like you are giving it a pretty good going over. Dirty or damaged injector nozzles will also drop your power but doesnt really explain a lack of boost. Im not sure if you had them serviced when you were doing the engine up. And obviously make sure of your timing, did you spill time it? Im interested to know how you're travelling, keep me updated. Cheers, Skip

gday mate hows it all going? has your truck got a pyro fitted? If not try an infared ray gun and check your exhaust manifold for temperature. If its getting fairly hot under load then you have an air restriction or lack of boost. -Providing your fuel pressurs is right. Has it got any sort of puff limiter fitted? And of course make sure you are getting full throttle on the pump, and make sure your stopper lever isnt partly holding the rack. They are some easy checks mate, and it sounds like you are giving it a pretty good going over. Dirty or damaged injector nozzles will also drop your power but doesnt really explain a lack of boost. Im not sure if you had them serviced when you were doing the engine up. And obviously make sure of your timing, did you spill time it? Im interested to know how you're travelling, keep me updated. Cheers, Skip

Hi, all is well, got pyro fitted, 910 degrees on dyno, found a restriction in the new fuel line, got that sorted, will get it back on the dyno and see.fuel pressure was in 30s, now its at 41 pound. got full throttle, engine not touched, had 2 heads off only for fixing core plugs. I couldnt even get new pushrods to replace the 2 bent ones so have not pulled engine down at all, I cut E9 pushrods down. next time it goes on dyno if its not up there then I will drop the air cleaners off at the turbo and see what it does.

Grant

Hi, all is well, got pyro fitted, 910 degrees on dyno, found a restriction in the new fuel line, got that sorted, will get it back on the dyno and see.fuel pressure was in 30s, now its at 41 pound. got full throttle, engine not touched, had 2 heads off only for fixing core plugs. I couldnt even get new pushrods to replace the 2 bent ones so have not pulled engine down at all, I cut E9 pushrods down. next time it goes on dyno if its not up there then I will drop the air cleaners off at the turbo and see what it does.

Grant

YOU CUT E9 PUSHRODS DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JESUS CHRIST GRANT!......;) i got a 400 em9 here you can have for 5 grand needs a oil cooler.it will be easier to get parts for than that bloody thing ya got in there now......check out ebay too there is a 866 for sale on there for 5 grand as well. cheers bryan

YOU CUT E9 PUSHRODS DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JESUS CHRIST GRANT!......;) i got a 400 em9 here you can have for 5 grand needs a oil cooler.it will be easier to get parts for than that bloody thing ya got in there now......check out ebay too there is a 866 for sale on there for 5 grand as well. cheers bryan

I'm not certain but think five grand would grind a lot of pushrods?? Might even be able to have someone jig up and manufacture them. Gotta admire a guy trying to keep something "old" going but getting parts for these engines is getting difficult without a spare or two, the life may be of short duration.

Getting E9 spare parts is getting expensive and difficult as time goes on over here to.

Rob

I'm not certain but think five grand would grind a lot of pushrods?? Might even be able to have someone jig up and manufacture them. Gotta admire a guy trying to keep something "old" going but getting parts for these engines is getting difficult without a spare or two, the life may be of short duration.

Getting E9 spare parts is getting expensive and difficult as time goes on over here to.

Rob

Hi, yep cut E9 push rods down, will consider an E9 when this one throws a leg out, its in good shape inside, can still read Mack on the tops of the pistons. once it earns a dollar I will get an e9 an put it aside, till then the 866 is fine.

Grant

Hi, yep cut E9 push rods down, will consider an E9 when this one throws a leg out, its in good shape inside, can still read Mack on the tops of the pistons. once it earns a dollar I will get an e9 an put it aside, till then the 866 is fine.

Grant

Dont throw the 866 away mate, if looked after it will be a good engine for you. dont let it lug, dont over rev it and keep the heads pulled down tight. They are hard to get bits for but theres a few old ones about if youre looking. Funny about the push rod, I bought a new one for an 864 a couple of yearrs back, not sure if it is the same as an 866 though. Keep the dream alive mate, good work. Keep us posted next time shes on the dyno.

Spud, whats the go with that E9? That seemslike pretty good money to me, where is it located? And dou you know much history on it?

Dont throw the 866 away mate, if looked after it will be a good engine for you. dont let it lug, dont over rev it and keep the heads pulled down tight. They are hard to get bits for but theres a few old ones about if youre looking. Funny about the push rod, I bought a new one for an 864 a couple of yearrs back, not sure if it is the same as an 866 though. Keep the dream alive mate, good work. Keep us posted next time shes on the dyno.

Spud, whats the go with that E9? That seemslike pretty good money to me, where is it located? And dou you know much history on it?

Hi, its a good engine, can still read mack on the pistons so its clean. 864 pushrod probly the same, the E9 one was a easy to sort out and we put the 5th wheel on today, a 3n1/2 fixed plate will get it back on the dyno over the next few weeks, I do need some fuel pump bits.

my guess is that E9 is in kalgoorlie?

Grant

• 2 weeks later...

e9 is in kal mate, still in one of the superliners were wrecking, as for history we havent got mush mate, it was running fine then dropped the oil cooler about 4 months ago,good oil preassure and good coolant temp.worked the truck for a long while, truck is currently in pieces.......13 grand or nearest offer and some one can have the lot minus berliet rear end but a new pedastool and spring packs are thown into the deal! i aint got enough room in the new yard down south for all my bloody projects plus the bastards we are running so a big cleanout is on the cards