Can You Disconnect The Engine Shutdown?

WHAT I MEAN IS EVERY TIME I GET OUT OF THE TRUCK (03 VISION) WITHIN A COUPLE MINUTES THE TRUCK TURNS OFF. wHEN I USE THE PUMP I CAN SET THE CTUISE AND IT WILL STAY ON BUT I CANT RUN INTO THE STORE WITHOUT IT SHUTTING OFF. IS THERE A WAY TO BYPASS THAT OR HAVE THE ECU REPROGRAMED?

WHAT I MEAN IS EVERY TIME I GET OUT OF THE TRUCK (03 CL) WITHIN A COUPLE MINUTES THE TRUCK TURNS OFF. wHEN I USE THE PUMP I CAN SET THE CTUISE AND IT WILL STAY ON BUT I CANT RUN INTO THE STORE WITHOUT IT SHUTTING OFF. IS THERE A WAY TO BYPASS THAT OR HAVE THE ECU REPROGRAMED?

alot of cities have a laws about idleing trucks,someone must have ordered an automatic shutdown, you should be able to bypass it.

IM NOT SURE OF THE ORIGIONAL STATE OF OWNERSHIP BUT THE UNIT WAS BUILT IN MIAMI FL FOR ME IT WAS A SLEEPER BEFORE IT WAS CONVERTED INTO A PUMPER. I USUALLY START IT IN THE MORNING AND TURN IT OFF AT NIGHT BECAUSE IM ALWAYS ON THE MOVE. I PLAN ON CALLING MACK IN THE MORNING TO HAVE THE ECU CHECKED AND SEE IF THE SPEED LIMITER CAN BE ADJUSTED AS WELL. MAXED OUT AT 66 MPH

The automatic shutdown can be disabled if you take the truck to a Mack dealer.

Theyll hook up their laptop to the socket under the dash, and disable the auto shutdown.

Also the road speed limiting can be disabled or set to a higher MPH the same way.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Back in the late '80's/early '90's Cummins put out a service bulletin suggesting that drivers no longer idle their engines do to fuel washing down the cylinders. Their suggestion was to set the engine RPM's at 1,000 when parked. When the company I worked for at the time began taking delivery of the E7 powered CH612's and 613's in late 1990 they set all the trucks with a 3 min idle shutdown, or bump the switch once and it would take it to 1,000 RPM and run forever. I have done this ever since, bumping up between 800 and 1,000. Especially in winter it allows the engine to maintain it's temp. It also makes it easier to use the steering wheel as a desk (not as much vibration!). I don't know if washdown is still a problem or not, but it is a pratice that I have chosen to continue.

T.

Yep, what they said. Take it to the dealer. They'll hook 'er up to the 'puter. all kinds of variables can be changed. From what can shut 'er down to how long the dead idle time is. (or set that so it doesn't shut down) Have the cruise control top end changed - you're the operator, right? Adjust the foot throttle speed as well.

They can also program the Maximum PTO speed, so you don't overspeed it, if that's a concern.

Your problem with the engine shutdown light flashing was likely due to low coolant level. I would also idle my truck up when sitting for a while 800 - 1000 rpm.

Have the tech go through the menus with you, and have him explain what the parameters are & what they do. You also have the option of changing the action of the foot throttle - whether it work as a percentage of power, or percentage of fuel flow. (or something like that...my memory fails me on the specifics right now.)

this parameter can be change by your dealer. you can remove it, or add a couple of minutes before it shut down. but if you just hit the throttle switch, you won't have to change anything. I really don't know why driver don't put throttle. idling is bad for an engine, run to cold, oil pressure a bit low, oil ring does not clean sleeve enough! I'm driving a mixer truck, my Mack do not run at idle except on red light... idle is bad.

• 3 weeks later...

I did have the Mack dealer change a few paremeters for top speed cruise and take the idle shutdown out completely. I dont leave the truck running when out of it anymore but with the pumps running everything is better at idle. The $6000 pump runs alot cooler.