Could This Be A Mack Bx?

Was browsing my Litiz pictures and I was wondering what this old truck used to be. Is this a Mack BX or possibly not a Mack at all. I have tried comparing this to other BX pictures and while not an exact match it looks close.

post-314-005716000 1287895512_thumb.jpg

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Was browsing my Litiz pictures and I was wondering what this old truck used to be. Is this a Mack BX or possibly not a Mack at all. I have tried comparing this to other BX pictures and while not an exact match it looks close.

post-314-005716000 1287895512_thumb.jpg

Thad, looks like a BX, the other trucks in the B model range appear to have a different front chassis end similar to an AB Mack.

Guest 45LMSWM

Thaddeus,

It is indeed a Mack BX. It is at least a 1934, if not earlier. My brother has (2) 1934 BXs, one is a BX six wheeler, and this truck's serial number predates his by quite a bit.

I have the serial for this one, but not sure where exactly. Truck came with factory tandem Camelback suspension, but I believe it is set up with only one drive, and the other axle is dead.

Also of interest to note, the Mack BX tractor that Nuss has been showing recently was also a six wheeler chassis(tandem axle rears) as built. At some poiny it was cut down to a single axle, but still retains the arched crossmember that was originally between the drives. This crossmember was arched to clear the drive shaft between the first and second drive.

-John

Jeff, John,

Thanks for the information. Lately I have been very interested in the 30's-40's Mack Iron such as the FC/K and BX models. I loved that green FKSW at Macungie 2010 and that got me interested in the older models. I like the old fashioned open wooden cab along with the "modern" Mack axles on camel back.

Anyone know if a diesel engine was ever offered in them? I was reading a bit and I think a 155HP Cummins was available, not sure. Also what gas engines would these trucks have had?

Thanks!

-Thad

Guest 45LMSWM

Jeff, John,

Thanks for the information. Lately I have been very interested in the 30's-40's Mack Iron such as the FC/K and BX models. I loved that green FKSW at Macungie 2010 and that got me interested in the older models. I like the old fashioned open wooden cab along with the "modern" Mack axles on camel back.

Anyone know if a diesel engine was ever offered in them? I was reading a bit and I think a 155HP Cummins was available, not sure. Also what gas engines would these trucks have had?

Thanks!

Thaddeus,

The truck that was at Macungie this year is actually a 1938 FH, and left the factory with a single axle, chain driven rear axle. When it was "restored", the frame was lengthened and newer Mack rears were installed. I believe they are 55s or 58s, but could be smaller. The hood and front frame rails were also stretched, and a much more modern engine was installed, though I am not sure of Make or Model. I believe they put a 13 speed Fuller transmission in it too. If you look at it closely, you will clearly see what I am talking about.

According to the Mack F-Model Photo Archive, the FH model was available with either an EO 519 ci gas engine or a Mack ED 519 ci diesel. Believe these were the original Lanova engines. This truck in particular had a diesel from the factory, as the serial is FH1C1207D. The "1C" denotes single axle chain drive and the suffix "D" denotes diesel engine.

I only know of (3) true FKSWs in existence. (2) have been restored and one is currently under restoration. The early camelback suspension in the FKSWs and BX six wheelers bear very little resemblence to the camelback suspension built from the 1940s on up to present day.

-John

Thaddeus,

The truck that was at Macungie this year is actually a 1938 FH, and left the factory with a single axle, chain driven rear axle. When it was "restored", the frame was lengthened and newer Mack rears were installed. I believe they are 55s or 58s, but could be smaller. The hood and front frame rails were also stretched, and a much more modern engine was installed, though I am not sure of Make or Model. I believe they put a 13 speed Fuller transmission in it too. If you look at it closely, you will clearly see what I am talking about.

According to the Mack F-Model Photo Archive, the FH model was available with either an EO 519 ci gas engine or a Mack ED 519 ci diesel. Believe these were the original Lanova engines. This truck in particular had a diesel from the factory, as the serial is FH1C1207D. The "1C" denotes single axle chain drive and the suffix "D" denotes diesel engine.

I only know of (3) true FKSWs in existence. (2) have been restored and one is currently under restoration. The early camelback suspension in the FKSWs and BX six wheelers bear very little resemblence to the camelback suspension built from the 1940s on up to present day.

-John

Great info! Thanks John.

-Thad